Mwamba Not performing hair transplants in New Jersey

Hello everyone I had my hair transplant booked for Nov. 5 in New Jersey with Dr  Mwamba but recently got a email from one of his representatives that they are not  performing hair transplant there anymore because the office he was working in , the associate owner sold the clinic . As I am very disappointed because I had my airline ticket and hotel booked I was told I could go to Brussels for the hair transplant . I live in the United States in California I was wondering has anyone traveled to Brussels and was it difficult considering the discomfort that might come with a hair transplant and a long flight back home .  Also there are no direct flights , and long layovers . I am torn of getting it done , or looking elsewhere  and have not received a email  back since I emailed them  . Any recommendations ? 

Edited by EHZ

• EHZ changed the title to Mwamba Not performing hair transplants in New Jersey

Very unlucky to lose the opportunity to get Mwamba in the US. It must be really tiring for him to travel constantly to US aswell when he doesn't even need it (has enough clients in Brussels), so i'm not surprised -- it is what it is I guess.

As for if its worth going from US to EU and long flight for it, only you can judge vs cost and comfort, this is not a hair transplant decision anymore.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

Perhaps the new owner would also let Mwamba use it, but that would take a while to set up. Your date is like 2-3 months away, other top surgeons are usually 8-12 months, so it may be worth biting the bullet and going to brussels. 

I'm looking at tickets from LA to Brussels, about 800 and a 13 hour flight vs 200 to NJ. I wouldn't consider that significant compared to the cost of the hair transplant, but I imagine the motels are much more expensive though, but on the other hand you get to have a vacation in Brussels vs being cooped up in some motel in NJ. Also depends on how long you want to stay, some people do it the next day. But since the flights are like 15 hours long, I imagine you'd want to rest for at least a couple days. 

If you're looking for a high level surgeon that has a shorter availability you could consider Dr Nadimi who I am also considering. I had a consult with her and she seems extremely solid, trained for years under legendary Dr Konior and she uses the exact same team of technicians he does. I think she's more expensive that Dr Mwamba but I think her wait time is only like 1 or 2 months. You also might be breaking even or saving money due to the less travel and cheaper motels. Another person you can consider is Dr Timothy Carlson, who also really impressed me with his consult, and who also has a shorter wait time like 1 month, and he's on the cheaper side for doctors who are on this forums recommended list. My only blocker for him is that he doesn't have a ton of recent reviews, but he's one of those guys whose been doing transplants since the 90s like Mwamba. 

Edited by HairRun

14 minutes ago, HairRun said:

Perhaps the new owner would also let Mwamba use it, but that would take a while to set up. Your date is like 2-3 months away, other top surgeons are usually 8-12 months, so it may be worth biting the bullet and going to brussels. 

I'm looking at tickets from LA to Brussels, about 800 and a 13 hour flight vs 200 to NJ. I wouldn't consider that significant compared to the cost of the hair transplant, but I imagine the motels are much more expensive though, but on the other hand you get to have a vacation in Brussels vs being cooped up in some motel in NJ. Also depends on how long you want to stay, some people do it the next day. But since the flights are like 15 hours long, I imagine you'd want to rest for at least a couple days. 

If you're looking for a high level surgeon that has a shorter availability you could consider Dr Nadimi who I am also considering. I had a consult with her and she seems extremely solid, trained for years under legendary Dr Konior and she uses the exact same team of technicians he does. I think she's more expensive that Dr Mwamba but I think her wait time is only like 1 or 2 months. You also might be breaking even or saving money due to the less travel and cheaper motels. Another person you can consider is Dr Timothy Carlson, who also really impressed me with his consult, and who also has a shorter wait time like 1 month, and he's on the cheaper side for doctors who are on this forums recommended list. My only blocker for him is that he doesn't have a ton of recent reviews, but he's one of those guys whose been doing transplants since the 90s like Mwamba. 

Dm me carman and nadimi price per graft

6 hours ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Dm me carman and nadimi price per graft

Dr Carmen's prices are on his website

https://www.ljhr.com/about-hair-restoration-office-la-jolla/costs/

The first 1200 FU Grafts are $6800;

From 1201 to 2500 FU Grafts, additional grafts are $3 each;

For cases of 2501 FU Grafts or greater, additional grafts are $2 each.

Example: 1800 FU Graft Case: $6800 + $1800 ($3 x 600 FU additional) = $8600

Dr Nadimi gave me hers over email so I can DM that 

• Moderators

If you already have a plane ticket to NJ, True & Dorin are in Manhattan NY and usually still have a few spots open in the 3 month range. Is the flight to Newark Liberty International? You can take the bus or train to Manhattan. It's only a few miles. Take the bus to NY Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42 St. Or take the train to Penn Station NY (make sure you go to Penn Station NY and not Penn Station in Newark NJ!).

How many grafts were you planning on doing? True & Dorin don't do very large FUE sessions, so if you are looking for a megasession FUE then they are probably not for you.

Anyway I thought I'd throw this out there since you already have the plane ticket.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Damn for the first time in my life im not jealous that USA has better resources in something im involved in 😄

For you guys everyone is more expensive, less available, and travelling to EU is such a hassle.

Mwamba being available sometimes is a nice perk tho!

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

Just got off the phone with Dr Mwamba secretary....      The building he was doing HT out of in NJ has been sold and he is in the process of finding another location in the USA.    Maybe NY,  or maybe NJ again.  

But he still works out of Atlanta,  so rebook your appt for Atlanta.   

I guess I got extremely lucky when I had my HT with Dr MWamba earlier this year when he was 40 mijutes from my home in NJ.    I was already planning of going back and use more beard grafts for a small touch up in the future.  

5 hours ago, HairRun said:

Dr Carmen's prices are on his website

https://www.ljhr.com/about-hair-restoration-office-la-jolla/costs/

Dr Nadimi gave me hers over email so I can DM that 

Okay ya sweet I’ll take the dm. I think carman is referring to fut in that though I have no clue what his fue prices are. Pretty sure I called awhile back and it was more than that

1 hour ago, Etownone said:

Just got off the phone with Dr Mwamba secretary....      The building he was doing HT out of in NJ has been sold and he is in the process of finding another location in the USA.    Maybe NY,  or maybe NJ again.  

But he still works out of Atlanta,  so rebook your appt for Atlanta.   

I guess I got extremely lucky when I had my HT with Dr MWamba earlier this year when he was 40 mijutes from my home in NJ.    I was already planning of going back and use more beard grafts for a small touch up in the future.  

He still has an Atlanta location? I thought during Covid that location went out

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jay00 said:

I spoke to Dr Mwamba last week. He said they’ll find a new location by next summer. So I think you can just wait if you don’t feel like traveling to Brussels

Do you know if Mwamba is operating in Atlanta at least?

I may need a very minor touch up with Mwamba

Personally i dont care if the Nj location is closing as long as Atlanta is still open. 

I was booked for early November aswell, I received the same email and I talked to the secretary, I kept my same date for Brussels and booked my flight is gonna be a long flight lol book a couple days before procedure since it’s gonna be a long flight they said that the fee of the flight will be removed from total surgery cost prices will be adjusted to his Brussels location they have an apartment there so no lodging basically after trip to go to Belgium so I took. The chance less then 2 months to go 

29 minutes ago, Dillpickle123 said:

total surgery cost prices will be adjusted to his Brussels location

what are the prices in Brussels? I was at the NJ location 3 months ago - I think it was $5/graft. Can you confirm, they have an apartment in Brussels that patients can stay at for free?

Does anyone here know if Mwamba is still doing surgery in Atlanta? Or is he solely doing surgery in Brussels?

45 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

what are the prices in Brussels? I was at the NJ location 3 months ago - I think it was $5/graft. Can you confirm, they have an apartment in Brussels that patients can stay at for free?

Does anyone here know if Mwamba is still doing surgery in Atlanta? Or is he solely doing surgery in Brussels?

I can’t really confirm until I’m there unfortunately just saying what I’ve been told, the Atlanta location is not available trust me I rather go there then to a whole other country, as far as I know the plan is that once I arrive in Brussels to go straight to the clinic to pick up my keys I would have surgery the next day over 2 days 2 grafts, I think the prices are pretty similar 5$ a graft is around what it is if you leave recipient area long and like 4$ although his website has the prices for Brussels 

• 4 weeks later...