how long until I'm hatless?

I was curious. Assuming an average result from a HT, when should a patient be able to live life without concealers or hats, etc.. without his head looking silly? I understand it takes from 12 to 18 months for the finished result, but I'm not looking for the finished result. I'm just wondering when I'll be able to come out from under my hat. LIFE SUCKS living under a hat. I had my second procedure with Feller 5.5 months ago, I had 2,000 F.U's to fill in a first HT that was done from a doc that left my hairline extremely sparse. Anyway, I thought that I would be a little ahead of the average Ht patient due to the fact that I already had some transplanted hair in the receipient area. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys,

I will post a couple of pics this week. I want to get my pre ops from Feller. But keep in mind a picture tells a thousand lies. My hair does not look that bad in pics. If you rely on the pics, I would have never had the second surgery with Feller. But, it can't hurt to receive some feedback from the pics, so as soon as I receive my pics from Dr. Feller, I will post them with some to date photos. Thanks guys. However, keep in mind, every single person that I show my hair to agrees it looks "weird"

hey spex,

shockloss, lategrowth, to be quite frank spex, I'm not sure, but setting aside all the technical terms--my hair does not look good! I'm not blameing Feller at this point. However, I can't evaluate where I'm at without asking questions. Besides, if everything I'm experienceing is perfectly normal, I can't imagine my posts being unexpected. This is the norm, and maybe while everybody else understands this. Unfortunately, I was not listening when I was told it is normal to still be living under a hat at the 5 or 6 month mark post op. Anyway, could you send me my pics from the day of my surgery. As you said before, maybe I'm having some growth and I'm just not noticeing. I did have them forwarded to me before from the doc's office, but my computer crashed since then, and I did not have them backed up.

I am praying, as you said, that I'm turning a new corner. Spex, as I've mentioned numerous times before I am in no way trying to belittle Feller or his staff at this point. I feel as though you consitently go on the defensive when I post. Spex my situation is what it is, and sugarcoating it is not going to do anyone any good. My words are my frustration with my current situation. A situation I assumed would not be quite as horrible today as it was 5.5 months ago when I had my 2nd procedure.

Spex, Rest assured while I'm not very optimistic at this point, if things look well in a couple of months-- I will be sure to post for the simple fact that it would give people like me hope for the future. a class of people for whom I'm extremely sympathetic. You should understand more than anyone. And if Feller is as great as you tout, you should have a little smirck on your face right now as you are positive I will have a fabulous result. And therefore, you have permission to use all of my posts in the future for some future patient experiening what I am, and make it clear to that patient that this is just a phase, and Feller only produces quality results.

i never wore a hat before i had my procedure. its been 2 yrs and i dont go anywhere without my hat. my decision to get hairtransplants was the biggest mistake of my life. being deformed isnt what i thought i was paying for

Emp and just grow-- thanks for your response. unfortunately, I don't think that I'm going to be as lucky as you guys. As I mentioned as soon as I get my pre- ops back, I'll post with an updated pic.

16 inch--Sorry, to hear what your going through. I've also been hideing under a hat since my first HT in June of 08. I'm in the same boat--I only occasionally wore a hat pre HT, now I have not been to a social event in which I could not wear a hat. I think we need to become a louder voice on this and other sites. Bad Ht's are not a thing of the past, but still happening everyday. Anyway, I'm at a crucial point- if I don't see improvement in the next 2 or 3 months, I like you will be scarred for life.

I've also been hideing under a hat since my first HT in June of 08. I'm in the same boat--I only occasionally wore a hat pre HT, now I have not been to a social event in which I could not wear a hat. I think we need to become a louder voice on this and other sites. Bad Ht's are not a thing of the past, but still happening everyday.

john-- this is something i 100% agree with.... im hoping that more and more patients like yourself and 16inchscar come foward with your experiences..

sadly we only get occasional posters coming forward from time to time...when they do they are often are met with un-open arms by alot of posters who refuse to believe HTs can be hazardous, OR are protecting their dr......many are simply blamed by other posters as if their unhappiness is THEIR OWN fault..it is not... excuses are made in favor of the dr making it seem as if patient X's poor outcome is nothing more than a RARE RARE exception.....

i very much believe there are a LARGE number of unhappy HT patients from all kinds of drs... if one does enough research they catch this fact...

the ones who are run off, or the ones to shook up to voice their experience are not helping..... then again many just dont feel like its their responsibility to save others from making the same mistake they did.. perhaps they are right... but as long as that mentallity continues there will ALWAYS be a predominatly 'glossy' and one sided view of hair transplants on this and other forums IMO....

and people like yourself will be seen as nothing more than the unlucky disgruntled few in a giant ocean of super happy HT patients who no longer give their hairloss a second thought thanks to their decision to have their HT.... i with you and 16inchscar the best....

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

paddy,

Sorry, but I signed a disclousure from my first doc so he would give me my money back. Trust me, if I was in a different financial situation at the time, I would have exposed this guy. I actually did stand outside his practice showing off the result at 7 mos. I think that is why I got my money back. However, I can say he is NOT a doc recommended from this site.

Lost my swagger, I appreciate the support. Like you were saying, it's as if you get attacked when you share your experience's, if they are not positive. My situation is my situation. I'm living life like a "weirdo" because of my first Ht. and to date my second is no help. Why would I not share that with somebody thinking of taking this course of action that could be detrimental to their happiness. I think it takes a cold human being to do such. And that's just not me.

John,

I think if you can give us a little bit of history and post some photos before your second surgery with Dr. Feller, postoperative photos, and what your hair looks like today, we'd be able to better guide you.

Frankly, if you had extensive hair loss going into the procedure with Dr. Feller, you may require additional work to get the density/coverage you desire.

"Ditching the hat" is a very personal thing and when you're ready will depend on your goals and expectations of the procedure. While some patients are satisfied with a thinning appearance and would be ready to ditch the hat after a single procedure, some, like me, wanted more density before I was ready to be rid of it completely. However, even after 7550 grafts, my hair wasn't and could never be as thick as it was before any hair loss. It's just mathematically impossible. However, I was satisfied with my results and after 3 hair transplant procedures, left the hat behind.

At 5.5 months, you are very early on in the procedure. In my opinion, create a free hair loss website and share your experience, pictures before your second surgery, pictures right after surgery, and how your hair looks now. Then, each month, create a new journal entry and post new photos to give us updated.

For instructions on creating a free patient website and linking it to your forum signature, click here.

Most importantly, communicate your concerns directly with Spex or Dr. Feller. In the event your hair transplant isn't as it's expected, I trust they'll work with you to come to an amicable resolution.

Best wishes,

Bill

John,

Stop, relax and take a deep breath for a second. Okay? Look I KNOW EXACTLY what you are going through. I myself was also a repair patient. My first procedure was really done out of desperation and I was uneducated at the time.

It was from an unrecommende doctor. I PAID FOR IT IN EVERY WAY. Emotionally I was more paranoid than ever. Before I just looked like I was balding. After I looked plain "weird"

and thought everyone was looking at my hair. Oh yeah then there were the "eye wanderers" I hated those muther effers! Really it was all my fault. The self disappointment and humiliation I felt was literally eating me from the inside out. I had no idea how much one bad decision would impact almost every part of my life.

That decision affected EVERYTHING. My personal life, professional, friends, my girl, family and myself. I had cobblestoning, scalp irritation and it just plain looked pluggy.

My hat became my toupe. When people thought of me they thought "hat guy" IT SUCKED! I became withdrawn, big time depressed and I was not the person I once knew any longer. Life was dark.

How am I doing so far? Are you feeling at all like some of the things I mentioned? It was not until afer my second procedure with Dr. Hasson that hope returned and the darkness started to clear. You are only 5.5 months post op. That is nothing. I only just started seeing results at 5.5 months. That means I saw nothing significant yet. I ditched the hat at 6 months because I just wanted to. My hair is not perfect and my final results are not in yet. I at 7 months today. Have some faith. DR. Feller is very ethical and HE CARES ABOUT HIS PATIENTS.

He is passionate about his work and this is evident because he somtimes is quick to lash out against citisism and different opinions when he feels they are unwarranted. If I played football I would want a QB on my team with that kind of passion. You are on that team. The doldrums seem long and hard and they can screw with you. "Is is growing" "where is that mirror" "It looks good today and now it doesn't". I for one really hoped I would be an early grower and have some of the RARE impressive results that some others had at 5 months. I just wasn't. I hope this helps ease your mind some

Hi justgrow,

First, thank you for your support! Second, How are you doing? WOW! I would think you cut and pasted the last year and a half of my life. I'm happy that you learned to deal with your situation; unfortunately, maybe I'm just not as mentally strong as you are. This forum is how I cope at the present moment. And while I understand my posts may unintentionally hurt some, I wish there was someone posting as much as I when I was considering a HT. If things go well for me, I feel as though that will only make this long road a ton more bearable for the next guy. Hopefully, in a couple of months I'm the biggest HT guru on this forum. But for now, I still feel a HT was the worst decision in my life. And I can't forgive myself for not being smarter. I just hope I can help someone in the same shoes. Just grow stay posted for my pics you will see I was not that bad to start with and probably should have never had a HT.

felb410.jpg.2701f8ebc521bf740850009e9a479ca4.jpg

I really don't think I was asking too much when I had 2 Ht's, first one 1,600 F.U's and the second 2,000 F.U's to fill in the area in the front. Maybe I'm too demanding. What do you guys think? I really was looking for a discreet touch up when I wondered into my first Ht. Unfortunately, it was everything but discreet. Was I expecting too much? Please respond.

Of course you should not have gotten a HT...You didn't need one. Thats why you feel it looks worse than when you started because now it's not natural anymore.

So now your wearing a hat to cover obvious work that you didn't need.

I know this doesn't help but thats my 2 cents worth.

Sorry John, but I have to agree with Atomic...but what's done is done...If Dr. Feller is as ethical as everyone says, then maybe he should have turned you down for the 2nd HT...I think you will be just fine, give it some time and all should work out fine....

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

Hey guys,

Thanx for your input. In all fairness to Feller though My first HT looked a million times better in pictures. Now on the other hand I was told it was an "easy fix". This is why I did not post pics earlier--like I said, "they tell a thousand lies. I also thought at 5.5 months I would look better- I honestly don't think so though. I'll post to date pics soon I just don't want them to run together and confuse any readers.And I'm also trying to be as fair to Dr. Feller as possible, thus I think the later I post the pics the less controversy about it being early it will cause.

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

John,

Frankly, if you had extensive hair loss going into the procedure with Dr. Feller, you may require additional work to get the density/coverage you desire.

Hey Bill,

I really don't think that is the case Bill. Do you agree from my pics? Am I expecting to much to look natural at this point considering my degree of hairloss? I value your opinion. Thank you!

I really don't think that is the case Bill. Do you agree from my pics? Am I expecting to much to look natural at this point considering my degree of hairloss? I value your opinion. Thank you!

Yes, I agree. I made that comment prior to seeing your photos. You should be in great shape several months from now. Hang in there my friend.

Bill