Best BHT surgeon in the planet

Hey, so I grew my interest in BHT seeing some cases in the forum. I always thought it is ridiculous to transplant beard hair into your scalp, but after seeing Melvin case it got me thinking. I have a really really thick beard and a complicated hairloss case so im consdering it.

Dr Mwamba is regarded as the one with most experience in BHT right? Any other more recommendations?

• Administrators

It all depends on your beard type. I happen to have a similar beard to scalp characteristic. Mwamba, Bisanga, Sethi, are all excellent BHT surgeons.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It all depends on your beard type. I happen to have a similar beard to scalp characteristic. Mwamba, Bisanga, Sethi, are all excellent BHT surgeons.

Melvin, does your beard get very curly once it gets to a longer length?

• Administrators
10 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Melvin, does your beard get very curly once it gets to a longer length?

No, it stays relatively straight. It’s coarse but I still combed it with a regular comb. I grew it out for 5 months to see how it grew. I was surprised I didn’t need a beard brush. I used a regular comb. 55BFF892-48B7-4718-B76A-EE28121E32FA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

59 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

No, it stays relatively straight. It’s coarse but I still combed it with a regular comb. I grew it out for 5 months to see how it grew. I was surprised I didn’t need a beard brush. I used a regular comb. 55BFF892-48B7-4718-B76A-EE28121E32FA.jpeg

#beardblessed

• Haha 1

Another quesstion that crossed my mind...

Supposing we had unlimited time and money for transplants, what approach makes more sense?

- Overharvest your donor and repair it with BHT+SMP (--> best looking result because recipent is using fully scalp hair)
- Just implant BHT hairs into scalp directly without repairing donor (no overharvesting).

Wouldn't using BHT hairs in donor be a smarter approach because its an area that doesnt rly matter it looks perfect and you will keep it short anyway? It can allow you to extract more from donor if you have that planned ahead?

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

8 hours ago, RTC said:

If i had unlimited money I'd just do FIT farming.

Whatever is taken out of my donor would get replaced with beard hairs 

what is exactly FIT farming procedure like? any info I can find online about it? (quick google search didnt help)

so you basically think its better to overharvest donor + repair it with BHT instead of using BHT directly on scalp? 

3 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

what is exactly FIT farming procedure like? any info I can find online about it? (quick google search didnt help)

so you basically think its better to overharvest donor + repair it with BHT instead of using BHT directly on scalp? 

Look up user Mustang he has a whole thread about it! You basically take body hair like beard hair and put it where donor was fue’d out, if money is not a problem then yea but with a good doctor your donor won’t look over harvested to begin with 

• Valued Contributor

For me I would have to say Dr Sethi (and Eugenix for that matter). Many surgeons can transplant beard grafts into the scalp. But when you require a vast number (4-5,000) and to have them artistically placed then I don’t know of another clinic who can rival this. 

5 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

I wouldn't intentionally overharvest but I'd definitely do that for sure, let the beard cover all the donor gaps.

The best doctors usually suggest beard hair grows has a similar rate of survival as normal hair 

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

- Overharvest your donor and repair it with BHT+SMP (--> best looking result because recipent is using fully scalp hair)

I don't think this is a smart move long term. As you get older your scalp hair is going to thin, while the body hair (especially beard hair) will basically grow forever. You can end up with thinning hair on top because it was all scalp donor and you'll have thick hair on the sides and back because it's now all body hair. So you eventually end up with the same problem you started out trying to fix. Lots of donor area hair and thinning hair on top. If I had done this I would have looked fine for a while and then end up right back at NW 7 again since most of my donor area hair is pretty much gone.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I know a few people who’ve done it. Bisanga, Konior, and Mwamba all have patients here who opted this route and it looks great.

I also don’t agree that using no beard hair on top is a good idea — you need to mix it up as scalp hair alone for high norwoods is rarely ever going to have adequate coverage + too many beard hairs in one place can look visibly different than the surrounding hairs, especially if the characteristics vary too much. In other words, having only beard hair in the back will be noticeable.

That said, if you want to maximize grafts, you can always opt into doing a few FUTS and later filling that with beard hair. Use the remaining beard hair in conjunction with the scalp hair on top and you’re probably set.

3 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I don't think this is a smart move long term. As you get older your scalp hair is going to thin, while the body hair (especially beard hair) will basically grow forever. You can end up with thinning hair on top because it was all scalp donor and you'll have thick hair on the sides and back because it's now all body hair. So you eventually end up with the same problem you started out trying to fix. Lots of donor area hair and thinning hair on top. If I had done this I would have looked fine for a while and then end up right back at NW 7 again since most of my donor area hair is pretty much gone.

So, then implanting beard hair directly on top of scalp would be worst choice? Since its the area most likely to thin out.
It is very unlikely that donor area will thin significantly thin out even for a 80 year old with MBP.

One thing that isn't being mentioned, when you implant beard hair into donor scars, this surely must affect is survivavility or quality? Scar tissue is known to be a bad enviroment for hair. Anyway, with SMP and BHT to repair donor it seems like going for ""over harvested"" transplant is probably much better than implanting beard hair on scalp. 

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BeHappy said:

This is a good point. 

View my thread

• 1 month later...

On 8/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, BeHappy said:

I don't think FIT farming is meant to grow long your donor, but instead to buzz down in a way that does not stand out. 

When *donor hair* (now on recipient) weakens and thins out arguably decades away on a 30s yr old one can always shave it down. What's the point of HT if one would base decisions on such long term horizons. 

in the long term we're all bald.