Am I balding at 15?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

There clearly is an understanding here about the importance of DHT during puberty. But for all the guys supporting Fin/Dut usage, do you not believe there is any use for DHT after puberty, or is maintaining hair count just more important ? Generally your body doesn't spend precious energy producing molecules it doesn't need - there is strong natural selection pressure against this. So why would your body produce DHT if their is no physiological function for this androgen? 

I don’t subscribe to the idea that DHT is trash. Obviously, there are benefits, and there are cons. I don’t believe eliminating anything the body naturally produces is good. I do believe there’s a strong correlation between DHT and mental health and cognition. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I started receding at 15, meaning I probably started losing at 13-14 too. Hopped on Finasteride at 17 and it might well have saved my life. Now 21 and hair is still maintaining. Just sharing my experience.

I think once you are 18 or fully grown OP, you should hop on Finasteride ASAP, provided this is in fact AGA. Hopefully topical or oral minoxidil can hold the line in the mean time.

Edited by MissMyLongHair
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 6:12 PM, MissMyLongHair said:

I started receding at 15, meaning I probably started losing at 13-14 too. Hopped on Finasteride at 17 and it might well have saved my life. Now 21 and hair is still maintaining. Just sharing my experience.

I think once you are 18 or fully grown OP, you should hop on Finasteride ASAP, provided this is in fact AGA. Hopefully topical or oral minoxidil can hold the line in the mean time.

Ye but is there anything else other than topical minoxidl and other chemicals and medicines. im currently eating vitamins and they have biotin but ive been eathing them for years so i dont think they have helped much. i wanna go the natural route cuz my parents think im too young. 

55 minutes ago, thebullyeagle said:

Ye but is there anything else other than topical minoxidl and other chemicals and medicines. im currently eating vitamins and they have biotin but ive been eathing them for years so i dont think they have helped much. i wanna go the natural route cuz my parents think im too young. 

I'm not necessarily promoting or advocating his stuff, but check out Hans Amato's writing and podcasts on the topic if you are curious about some natural routes to mitigate hair loss. He believes that DHT has some role in hair loss but not the key role that most people think.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thebullyeagle said:

Cut way down on sugar and salt intake. Do you have an oily/greasy scalp? If so then Nizoral shampoo will help with that which can also have a minor effect on saving some hair. In your pictures you had a lot of what seemed to be acne on your forehead area near where the thinning was. Is this acne or could it be something else causing inflammation? Even if it is acne could there be something else causing it? I would see a dermatologist to check it out if you haven't done that.

EDIT: Also since you are taking vitamins, make sure you are taking one with zinc in it. Zinc is good for hair growth.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thebullyeagle said:

i wanna go the natural route cuz my parents think im too young. 

I was very visibly thinning in my crown by age 15 (which means it probably actually started at around age 13 or 14). I was a NW 5 by age 19 or 20. My mom thought I was too young to be losing hair too at 15, so she blamed me for it thinking I must be pulling my own hair out and yelled at me for my balding for several years. Don't listen to anyone who says you can't be balding yet because you are too young. It's rare and you may not be balding from MPB, but it's not impossible.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Sorry, but as far as I am aware there is no "natural" method to halt or significantly slow down androgenic alopecia. You'll find no shortage of snake oil peddlers willing to tell you otherwise though. Topical minoxidil and microneedling are your best options right now. Diet only matters insofar as whether you are malnourished or not. Eating healthy is always good, however it won't prevent male pattern baldness if you are genetically predisposed to it.

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, RTC said:

Random @Melvin- Moderator, but has SHILL FROM THE MILL/THE TRUTH/BOTCH ME BABY been banned?

Tell me it ain't so

Yes, he’s been banned for 2 months. His reckless advice is gonna mess someone up bad. As a professional forum, we can’t condone that. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I know I am a bit late to this. But try getting a blood panel. 

Personally, I think you are "only" shedding but I dont think youre miniaturizing permanently (hair follicles going into the resting phase) its hard to tell given your age. However, I dont want to make this awkward but your parents could be trying different things and could have introduced you to some unwanted hormones early on. I would say ask your doctor to test you for some blood work. See if you have been introduced to some unwanted artificial hormones and rule that out.

You can have a very small biopsy from your crown to see if you have any auto immunity issue. However this will leave a very small scar that may not grow some hair. So perhaps you could do that last.

You 100% need testosterone given you are under the age of 25. So many factors between your cognitive, physical, and other factors depend on this for growth. Even if someone tells you to get fin/dut or any drug really I dont think you would be able to get them. First off becuase of your age, you cannot buy these off a counter, second I highly doubt youll get medical approval for insurance to get this covered. I get my dutasteride by my doctor telling them its for prostate health. And honestly sometimes those measures are for good reasons.

My best advice, you do not have to give up on trying to salvage your hair. If you feel so dependent on it (mentally) you have options down the road. Since you are at an early age I would say shave it off once and see how you feel. You're 15 so it may feel like the end of the world, but if you get used to it at your age ... youll be surprised how fast time goes by.

I know this probably isnt what you want to hear. But there are some alternative solutions that dont involve heavy hormone changes (LLP, PRP, micro needling). I also recommend you see your PCP (primary care physician) to get some referrals for dermatologists and perhaps go see two different dermatologists. Do not tell them what the other person finds, just make some questions and address it with the other doctor. Go back to your PCP, tell them what they told you, and see if she/he gives you anything different from what they give you.

TL;DR Get a blood panel done for hormones to see if you have been exposed to artificial test/estr. See your PCP and get referrals for dermatologists and then go back to your pcp to give them your results and get your lab work checked.

Edited by Vann

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yes, he’s been banned for 2 months. His reckless advice is gonna mess someone up bad. As a professional forum, we can’t condone that. 

Man I think that's really harsh, he could've been advised privately about that. tbh he often had very sensible advice otherwise,if sometimes a little overzealous 

Edited by RTC
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RTC said:

Man I think that's really harsh, he could've been advised privately about that. tbh he often had very sensible advice otherwise,if sometimes a little overzealous 

I agree it’s a bit boring without him lol, Two months is way to long tbh. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RTC said:

Yeah absolutely agreed with @RTC and @sukh123. While somewhat misguided, I don't think it ban worthy to say a transplant looks botched 6 months in; there is a certain expectation of some growth by then. I don't see the crazy month 5 improvements around month 8 for example. 

He's really knowledgable about Turkey as well. 2 months seems harsh, imo.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, RTC said:

He’s been warned twice before. 2 months is being generous. Generally, it’s three strikes and you’re out. It is not just one piece of advice, it’s multiple. Telling a 15 year old kid to hop on dutasteride and eliminate DHT while he’s still in puberty is absolutely reckless and harmful advice. 

• Like 3

View my thread

Hi guys I realized I didn't put a photo of my hair when I style it to look better. So here's an image of when I kind try to hide it. It looks pretty good except that part of my hairline at the right where u can see a little bit of thinning. But when I don't hide it u can see a lot of thinning. It's just starting to thin there. And looks a bit uneven cuz that part used to be filled in with hair. The second picture is from a couple of months ago and u can see I used to have lots of baby hair/ real hair covering that spot

20220731_094406.jpg

20211223_130911~2.jpg