how much grafts would i need for this area?

Personally i think you would have to have been pretty unlucky to have had that hairline since you were 13. It doesn't look like a naturally high hairline but a receded hairline due to MPB. Given you now shared you're 21, you should stay on Finasteride till minimum of 21 with progress pictures to show you staying at the same hair length etc. and wait till 25, this will allow you to save up properly to go to the right clinic but also give you a chance to try styling your har to conceal the issues you see. That's kind of what i did, as i felt it didn't look as bad with certain hairstyles even when i didn't have any temple points. 

25 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Personally i think you would have to have been pretty unlucky to have had that hairline since you were 13. It doesn't look like a naturally high hairline but a receded hairline due to MPB. Given you now shared you're 21, you should stay on Finasteride till minimum of 21 with progress pictures to show you staying at the same hair length etc. and wait till 25, this will allow you to save up properly to go to the right clinic but also give you a chance to try styling your har to conceal the issues you see. That's kind of what i did, as i felt it didn't look as bad with certain hairstyles even when i didn't have any temple points. 

unlucky fr. im the only one in my family to have had hairloss so early, luckily it hasn’t progressed much tho and it’s thick enough to hide. my oldest brother 36 y/o still has a full head of hair no meds/transplants etc, if i could achieve his hairline thru transplants / meds or whatever id be happy

EB5B335C-F128-4E20-91EB-DB07A7A3441A.jpeg

That hairline is too low and square...especially with your age. No reputable doctor would be willing to do that.

Take a look through the results posted here from start to finish - you'll be surprised how a hairline that looks too high and receded immediately post-op ends up turning out to look amazing.

Please hold off on making any decisions. You've found the right place....you should sit back and do nothing but read, absorb and ask questions for the next 6 months.

• Thanks 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

So you want to look like David Schwimmer?

I had more hair than you at 21 and lost the entire front by age 30.

I'd suggest 18-24 months trying some hair loss meds and monitoring their effectiveness.  If you have a reasonably close HT doctor then no harm visting them.  They can probably take some detailed photos and density readings and check back in a year or two.

If that works then you could do 2000 FUE to improve the front, but it would need to be conservative.  More like the lines drawn by John1991

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators
16 hours ago, John1991 said:

The middle is definitely going a bit, and if you're as young as you appear that's not a great sign.  That said, you still have very strong hair and you're on preventative medication so that's good.  Your design is too aggressive and I think it would leave you with a bit too flat/low of a hairline.  If you temper it back a bit more I think somewhere in the 2200-2500 range could potentially give you a great result.  Given how strong your hair is, you need the transplant done very densely or you'll have a whispy, horrid lower hairline in front of all the rest of that good hair you have.  To actually do the design you're proposing densely enough would probably be just north of 3000 grafts.  I'm not saying my design is perfect, but I think something more along those lines might suit you better as time passes.  The most important thing that can be stressed to you is that if you do proceed with a transplant, you need to go to someone who produces dense, crisp hairlines.  Better to have the hairline be a tad higher and strong than lower and weak.

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 6.57.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 6.58.56 PM.png

21 and you want this hairline ABSOLUTELY NO WAY! You are WAY too young. Do NOT I repeat DO NOT get a hair transplant. You’ve been on fin since 17 but still continue to lose hair. You’re setting yourself up for failure. 

While a low juvenile hairline is understandable at this age. It is not what will suit you best in the future.  Hair transplants are about supply and demand.   

Imagine, you’re building a house. But you only have enough material for a small house. Doing such an aggressive hairline would be like using up half the material to build a wall before even getting to the roof. Bad, bad, bad idea.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Zenmu,

in my opinion, the hairline you drew that shows in the first couple of pictures is far too low and would not be natural looking.

also, how old are you? You look quite young and in my opinion, I would give finasteride six months to a year to see how it’s working for you before undergoing hair transplant surgery.

However, if you are strongly considering hair transplant surgery, I can set you up with a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal to discuss your options and how he might be able to help meet you our long-term hair restoration  goals.  Just send me a private message if you’re interested and I can set this up for you.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.