1 year post op. Transplanted hairs falling ?

So at 7-8 months my hairlines was impeccable.  Like I was in love.   Now at 13 months. My hairline has taken a big hit.    All the transplanted hairs have like started to fall out or thin.  Not sure which one.     

Why is this happening.   Do people sometimes go through two tellogen effluvium stages? 

not on any meds btw.    

• Sad 2

One explanation would be that the hairs chosen for your hairline were not from the 'safe' donor area. Some doctors may go higher than the 'safe' area and that hair is vulnerable to DHT. You'd also have to tell us more about where you got the procedure done, how many grafts you got, share some pictures and history -like were you on meds before and then you stopped or have you never taken them? Do you have any other health conditions that may be affecting you? 

• Like 1

I am just shocked hair can just recede that fast in a year. I mean these hairs were from the back of my head.  Even if they weren’t from the perfect donor zone. U would expect these to go way later before the hair on top of my head.      

I have never used rogaine or meds   And I got it in turkey from a very reputable surgeon

literally tons of the transplanted hairs fell off  yet the hairline before it is still intact   I did 1560 grafts 

7F249ECC-B51D-4783-88D8-B409B3F040E1.jpeg

Edited by GorillaSquad
  • Like 1

Definitely a noticeable difference. I would think it was just a lighting difference between the two photos but obviously since you're here posting about it that doesn't make much sense.

I also agree with your assessment that it would be odd that these hairs (Even if slightly outside of the safe donor area) would be failing this quick. Especially if the rest of your "donor adjacent" hairs are still holding on strong.

What has your surgeon said? I imagine you've raised this with them? 

• Like 2

Just now, GoliGoliGoli said:

How is your diet/lifestyle? Be honest! Any smoking/drinking/energy drink habits? 

this is an old wives tale. Go to your local skid row and look at all the homeless people with beautiful hair. Alcohol and drugs =/= MPB. 

8 minutes ago, GorillaSquad said:

I have never used rogaine or meds

Get on meds bro. Unless you have sides (you have mentioned none) you have NO EXCUSE. 

pinging @Rossybop who is going thru the same thing post op hairloss as you

• Like 2

My diet and health is excellent.  My only thing is I did start taking adderall recently and I also have flaking on any scalp and beard.   

I read this excerpt from a hair surgeons site   I wonder if gatsby is right     

220BB527-639B-421C-9F6C-2AEFD9C1799F.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GorillaSquad said:

My diet and health is excellent.  My only thing is I did start taking adderall recently and I also have flaking on any scalp and beard.   

I feel like a lot of my transplanted hairs have thinned and fallen out too. If they grow back in 4 months I'll be delighted. If they don't grow back in a few months I'll be very disappointed. I wonder what is the likelihood of my hair getting thicker and growing back? I've been on minoxidil and finasteride for 2 years now.

8 hours ago, Gatsby said:

It sounds to me that the hairs chosen were not in the anagen phase and were in the telogen phase. Who performed your surgery and did they wear microscopic magnification?

What does this mean bro?

1 minute ago, Rossybop said:

I feel like a lot of my transplanted hairs have thinned and fallen out too. If they grow back in 4 months I'll be delighted. If they don't grow back in a few months I'll be very disappointed. I wonder what is the likelihood of my hair getting thicker and growing back? I've been on minoxidil and finasteride for 2 years now.

The fact you are experiencing the same thing and only like 2 years after transplant and u are on medication.   Just makes zero sense.       This must be some stress induced telegenic fall. I mean. How do we know how close those hairs were to finishing their anagen phase.    Plus the transplant itself could’ve shortened their anagen phase. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

this is an old wives tale. Go to your local skid row and look at all the homeless people with beautiful hair. Alcohol and drugs =/= MPB. 

This is not how human biology works. Their is an interplay between genetics and environment. Just because you've seen homeless guys with great hair tells you absolutely nothing. 

57 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Get on meds bro. Unless you have sides (you have mentioned none) you have NO EXCUSE. 

THIS is actually what is incorrect. DHT has plenty of physiological roles in the body. Topical min is probably A-OK though

To be honest it doesn’t appear to be that big of a difference and the lighting is different in both shots. It’s really easy to get different density with change of lighting

You didn’t post the pre-op photos though, maybe you lost the native hairs? 

On 7/21/2022 at 7:43 PM, Smolhouse said:

I think I remember reading that a potential side effect of Adderall is hair loss.  Something about it being a vasoconstrictor but you should do your own research because I'm not certain.   

This is true and the drug has induced hair loss in a fair number of individuals.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hey this happened to me.

I had a great transplant. Literally changed my life

it fell out two years later

i have had to go in again and couldn’t get the same quality 

I’ve no idea what happened but mine never came back. Very depressing

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mman21uk said:

Hey this happened to me.

Sorry to hear that, at what age did you do the surgery? Has the doctor looked at hair density of donor to not harvest from unsafe areas?

9 hours ago, mman21uk said:

Hey this happened to me.

Looking at your old threads it's really hard to tell from the pictures if anythings fallen out of if it just looks less thick due to how its styled. It's your hair so I'm sure you pay closer attention than anyone else but are you sure you aren't over thinking it? 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

Here is what I am noticing a lot of itching near the transplanted area and when I do a pull test only from the new hairs. The rest stay.     It’s like the same thing happened I as an itch like crazy when their new hair grew in. But now it’s falling.         

ya the lighting makes a little of a difference it’s not as bad as it appears but it’s def less dense 

13 hours ago, mman21uk said:

Hey this happened to me.

We’re u on minoxidil or finasteride? 

21 hours ago, mman21uk said:

Hey this happened to me.

Did you ever find out why it fell out?

And why can't you get the same quality with a second transplant?

Have you been able to get a second transplant?

On 7/21/2022 at 8:49 PM, GorillaSquad said:

Are you suggesting that my faulty transplant will return to a high standard within 4 months?

3 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Are you suggesting that my faulty transplant will return to a high standard within 4 months?

Not suggesting that.      Just saying this hairloss could be tellogen effluvium.    But not likely considering people are saying here it happened to them and it didn’t recover.      

My dandruff is absolutely ridiculous starting to think this is the cause of why I keep losing the hair.  Hairline itches like crazy lately 

• Thanks 1