Need advice about transplant

Hello, i am 25 years old. Even though it looks like i have bad baldness, i have been like this since forever, i only receded a little bit over the years.

As you can see in the pics i have a terrible hairline, the rest of my hair is normal though

I am really tired of seeing myself be this horrible and having to always style my hair or wear hats to hide it so i really want to get a transplant as soon as possible.

About 2 years ago i was trying my luck putting eggs in my hair, doing weird shampood and other internet myths, haha. 

I have been taking finasteride for 1 year now to prevent further loss

I would like to book an appointment with a reputable surgeon and get this over with in the next months.

My problem is at the hairline so i would like to get a surgeon who is experienced in that area. I live around central europe so i was thinking of going to bisanga, feriduni or mwamba in belgium

What do you think would be a good estimate of the number of grafts required?

I am willing to go through with micropigmentation over the sides and back of my head if that is needed to make them look good, to cover up scars in the donor area or make up for lack of density in the transplanted areas on the sides. I would like to have the frontal region as thick as possible though because i like to have longer hair.

I also am willing to do both FUT and FUE if that is required. I read that in younger patients it would be better to start with FUT to leave more grafts for a future FUE?

In any case i would like to complete my procedure in a single visit (1 or 2 days) instead of coming back one year later. Maybe i could do both FUT and FUE at the same fime? I saw impressive high density results in single settings by the doctors i mentioned.

I could go for a FUT to get nice thickness on the frontal region, and use a FUE for the sides of my head, in that area im willing to go through with SMP if it doesnt look perfect after the transplant.

Id like to get some input from more experienced people. Thanks to everyone for the support!

20220720_225039.jpg

20220720_225146.jpg

20220720_225226.jpg

24 minutes ago, John1991 said:

By blocking out your eyebrows we actually can’t see how high your hairline is.  Therefore, we can’t know if the line you drew is too aggressive. 

Ah i see, here is another pic. I think its fine, though is it just me or phone pictures get distorted proportions? In real life it looks higher to me compared to what it looks like in that photo. In that pic it looks almost like a highschooler but in real life it definitely is not like that. Looks more like the hairline of a 25 years old, or a 35-40 years old with good hair

20220721_005601.jpg

• Valued Contributor

That's insanely aggressive. Look at the massive space between your temple corners and the closed off temple corners you've drawn on....

People don't realise that they don't need to be super aggressive for a transformative look. Hairline restoration frames the face. It actually doesn't matter if the hairline is higher - as long as it's there, it'll achieve an improved aesthetic.

• Like 1

Hair transplant is an illusion of density. You have a dense looking hairline based on the picture. I understand you want it lowered but I don't think you'll like it. After HT, it will be see through. I suppose you can go for another HT to densify the hairline but that is a long process. It may still be see though and you still won't like your sparse hairline.

If you really want to work on your hair, then perhaps consider constructing temporal points. That will be take about 300 to 500 grafts. Temporal points don't look dense to look natural. One HT and you're done. The temporal points will narrow your forehead a little bit and add some dimensions to your side profile.

You picked some good doctors. Lastly, you must stay on finasteride for life.

2 hours ago, 6head said:

Hello, i am 25 years old. Even though it looks like i have bad baldness, i have been like this since forever, i only receded a little bit over the years.

As you can see in the pics i have a terrible hairline, the rest of my hair is normal though

I am really tired of seeing myself be this horrible and having to always style my hair or wear hats to hide it so i really want to get a transplant as soon as possible.

About 2 years ago i was trying my luck putting eggs in my hair, doing weird shampood and other internet myths, haha. 

I have been taking finasteride for 1 year now to prevent further loss

I would like to book an appointment with a reputable surgeon and get this over with in the next months.

My problem is at the hairline so i would like to get a surgeon who is experienced in that area. I live around central europe so i was thinking of going to bisanga, feriduni or mwamba in belgium

What do you think would be a good estimate of the number of grafts required?

I am willing to go through with micropigmentation over the sides and back of my head if that is needed to make them look good, to cover up scars in the donor area or make up for lack of density in the transplanted areas on the sides. I would like to have the frontal region as thick as possible though because i like to have longer hair.

I also am willing to do both FUT and FUE if that is required. I read that in younger patients it would be better to start with FUT to leave more grafts for a future FUE?

In any case i would like to complete my procedure in a single visit (1 or 2 days) instead of coming back one year later. Maybe i could do both FUT and FUE at the same fime? I saw impressive high density results in single settings by the doctors i mentioned.

I could go for a FUT to get nice thickness on the frontal region, and use a FUE for the sides of my head, in that area im willing to go through with SMP if it doesnt look perfect after the transplant.

Id like to get some input from more experienced people. Thanks to everyone for the support!

20220720_225039.jpg

20220720_225146.jpg

20220720_225226.jpg

If anything this is an extremely feminine hairline design

6head,

while I understand that you say that you’re not experiencing bad hair loss but that you have a naturally high forehead and have only seen some minor recession of the last couple of years, I think it might be a bit dangerous to lower your hairline too much at this stage. You’re only 25 years old and who knows what the future holds in terms of additional hair loss. What is your family history of hair loss like? Has finasteride been helping to stabilize the loss?

Do you have any photos of your hair from several years ago before you start experiencing any loss? It was interesting to see just how high your forehead is naturally and how much loss you really did experience.

If you were interested in a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal, feel free to send me a private message and I can set this up for you.  I can provide you with some additional information once I get some answers to the above questions.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

43 minutes ago, Antlor said:

Hair transplant is an illusion of density. You have a dense looking hairline based on the picture. I understand you want it lowered but I don't think you'll like it. After HT, it will be see through. I suppose you can go for another HT to densify the hairline but that is a long process. It may still be see though and you still won't like your sparse hairline.

If you really want to work on your hair, then perhaps consider constructing temporal points. That will be take about 300 to 500 grafts. Temporal points don't look dense to look natural. One HT and you're done. The temporal points will narrow your forehead a little bit and add some dimensions to your side profile.

You picked some good doctors. Lastly, you must stay on finasteride for life.

Are you making the argument that all transplanted hairlines are see through?  That's simply not the case.  The problem isn't lowering hairlines in general, but lowering aa 25 year olds hairline anywhere near this much.

• Like 1

Alright i have drawn a new line, more conservative, this is better right? I am not willing to make the transplanted area even smaller, or there really wouldn't be any point in me getting a transplant.

Regarding the sides of my head, this is as small as they can be. I have a large head without hair on the sides. They need to be at least this big or my face won't have a harmonious shape and i will still look balding.

Regarding the hairline, i definitely need to get it lowered around the temple areas. I could have drawn a straight line, but i made it point down a bit in the middle since i think it looks more natural like this.

I think from the photos you can't tell how the situation really is, the transplanted area might look bigger? In real life it looks perfect to me, ideal to achieve my goals without being too exaggerated

20220721_184030.jpg

20220721_184059.jpg

20220721_184143.jpg

20220721_184219.jpg

20220721_184243.jpg

You’re 25 with a receding hairline and trying to lower it WAY too much. This plan is a one way ticket to using up all your grafts and being forced to style a-la Brazilian Ronaldo’s haircut if you progress with loss. 

think about this (except his was intentional, whereas yours wouldn’t have even the shaved part behind it, would just be bald if you have the bad luck of future thinning):

image.jpeg.2bfe327b56412d2ac0500261e5452215.jpeg

Think about the future and age appropriate hairlines. If I were I would wait until around 30 to see how you respond on meds and to see future loss. Good luck

Edited by Z--

17 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

6head,

while I understand that you say that you’re not experiencing bad hair loss but that you have a naturally high forehead and have only seen some minor recession of the last couple of years, I think it might be a bit dangerous to lower your hairline too much at this stage. You’re only 25 years old and who knows what the future holds in terms of additional hair loss. What is your family history of hair loss like? Has finasteride been helping to stabilize the loss?

Do you have any photos of your hair from several years ago before you start experiencing any loss? It was interesting to see just how high your forehead is naturally and how much loss you really did experience.

If you were interested in a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal, feel free to send me a private message and I can set this up for you.  I can provide you with some additional information once I get some answers to the above questions.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thanks for the response dr. Rahal, you are a legend and i would definitely visit you if i lived in the usa/canada.

My family history is mixed, some people are bald while some have full heads of hair.

I haven't noticed any difference while taking finasteride, mostly because i have been taking it for 9 months, and i never noticed any aggressive hair loss in my case. My hairline has looked approximately the same for the last 10 years. I think there has been a bit of recession on the frontal hairline but i never noticed any rapid changes over the course of the years.

I am attaching to this post a photo i found from when i was 16 years old.

17 hours ago, RTC said:

If anything this is an extremely feminine hairline design

Haha, do you think the new one is more masculine?

17 hours ago, Mike10 said:

The whole plan just seems silly. You need to do a lot more research

How so?

20220721_151940.jpg

27 minutes ago, Z-- said:

You’re 25 with a receding hairline and trying to lower it WAY too much. This plan is a one way ticket to using up all your grafts and being forced to style a-la Brazilian Ronaldo’s haircut if you progress with loss. 

think about this (except his was intentional, whereas yours wouldn’t have even the shaved part behind it, would just be bald if you have the bad luck of future thinning):

image.jpeg.2bfe327b56412d2ac0500261e5452215.jpeg

Think about the future and age appropriate hairlines. If I were I would wait until around 30 to see how you respond on meds and to see future loss. Good luck

What about the new pics?

I was in same situation.. I put 3700 grafts and costed me usd 10000.however I still lack density in transplanted hairs.. Now I need one more to add further density and now my crown has also gone. If you ask me don't do it. 

2 hours ago, Shaheer said:

I was in same situation.. I put 3700 grafts and costed me usd 10000.however I still lack density in transplanted hairs.. Now I need one more to add further density and now my crown has also gone. If you ask me don't do it. 

Can you tell additional info? How old were you when you got the transplant, how old are you now? Did you get treatments such as finasteride? And whos the doctor who operated on you?

I like the second design, but, it’s still a lot of real estate to cover, probably 3k grafts.

A top doc will make it look real nice, but, you’ll burn a ton of your donor.  If you’reok with that and know the future risk of chasing the hairline, then go for it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

I like the second design, but, it’s still a lot of real estate to cover, probably 3k grafts.

A top doc will make it look real nice, but, you’ll burn a ton of your donor.  If you’reok with that and know the future risk of chasing the hairline, then go for it

Yeah, im up to switch to stronger treatments like dutasteride or oral minoxidil if there is the need to do so. It's just that i was unlucky to the point of having a hairline with no hair on the sides, so i have to do what i gotta do. That is the minimal transplant i need to get in order to regain a pleasant aesthetic.

• Moderators

I don't think the hairline is really the issue. It doesn't seem too high in the pictures. I think the actual problem is that your sides are far back which makes your forehead appear large. I think if you just add temporal peaks and some side hair you would look much better. I wouldn't go as aggressive as your drawings (your red line), but I think the green line that I drew (see picture below) would make your entire front view look much better without actually lowering the hairline.

image.png.2d54bc20971cffbb7284bd25c3ee68e4.png

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 1 month later...

I was in a similar spot as you and had great results.  You can look at mine to get an idea.  But there are 2 major differences…

1.  I never lost any hair, I don’t have hairloss.

2.  I’m in my 30s

Since you have hair loss, albeit minor, and you’re still too young to know how much more it will progress, it’s risky to go “all in” on one surgery and blow through thousands of grafts.  If you end up having more recession, you might not have leftover grafts to fix everything in your 30s.

Food for thought.

Check out my journey here:

• 2 weeks later...