Am I good candidate for a hair transplant?

Hi all,

I am 31 year old. I suffer from androgenic alopecia for about 5 to 6 years. I tried to use minoxidil in the past, but experienced heart beat issues. I am currently taking finasteride 0,5mg a day. Do you think that I can be a good candidate for a hair transplant?

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

You need to be able to commit to a long term use of oral finasteride. 

That is very important because I can see that the whorl on your crown is starting to thin. 

Also you are showing signs of retrograde alopecia above the ears and on the nape. 

Now no panic retrograde is not the end of the world. It just means that your donor capacity is reduced. Finasteride will be important long term. 

Are you a good candidate ? Not ideal but yeah you are a decent candidate. 

You don't have a lot of hairloss. Looks like Nw 2. 

But do your research first. Don't rush things. Avoid turkish hairmills of course. 

Transplants are always a gamble and you can't shave your head if it doesn't work. You'll have permanent scarring even with FUE

You have to accept the possibility of failure and also that even if your transplant turns ou to be a sucess your new hairline will always be seethrough under harsh lighting. 

And that you may require touch-ups and additionnal procedures. 

The "one and done" thing is a myth. 

Freitas, Bisanga, Pinto would be a good options for you. 

Greetings of the day @Max31

The donor area looks good and as I can see in the pictures you're NW2. The crown, above ears and nape of neck is getting thinner. You must commit to take Finasteride even after the HT for longer time to increase the longevity of the transplanted area. Age seems to be a good factor in your case making you a decent candidate for hair transplant. 

If you want a session with our medical counsellors and get your pictures evaluated, PM me and I will be happy to arrange a call. 

Regards,

Eugenix Hair Science 

Edited by Eugenix Hair Sciences

I do not think your donor looks great. You should book an onsite consultation to have it checked throughly before taking fufrther steps. As 31 years is young and you have balding in the crown, looks also like you would need to commit to medictation long term

• Like 1

Max31,

Based on the photos and information you’ve presented, I would say that you are a possible candidate for hair transplant surgery. I do see that the donor area looks a little thin in the nape area and just above it. However, the rest of the donor looks pretty solid in the pictures.  The good news is you still have retained a lot of natural hair. You seem to the around a Norwood class 2 with only minimal signs of visible thinning in the crown.

How long have you been on finasteride and do you feel it’s slowing down or stopping the progression of androgenetic alopecia?  if so, how long do you feel that your hair loss has been stable?

Just keep in mind that proceeding with hair transplant surgery will not negate your ongoing need to use finasteride. In other words, hair transplant surgery can restore hair to thinning and bald areas of the scalp but it will do nothing to stop the progression of genetic hair loss. That’s why most people who undergo hair restoration surgery also continue long-term use of non-surgical solutions.

if you’re interested in a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal so you can go over all of your questions and see how we can help you meet your hair restoration goals, feel free to send me a private message and I can set this up for you.

Best Wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

You appear to have retrograde alopecia. It’s not a terrible thing, but does limit your lifetime grafts.  You’re on fin, that’s good. I would consider some other form of growth stimulator. Minoxidil is the best, but you could try laser therapy. 

Are you a candidate depends on your expectations and how low you want to lower your hairline. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, JoselitoElGallo said:

Yes, Your donor ares looks ok, maybe a bit short than average but still fine.

regarding minoxidil if you had side effects with the topical solution, try oral minox so you won’t have the problem on the heart beat.

Uhh... Why would switching to oral resolve this issue? If anything the oral will make the drug go far more systemic than the topical and result in worse sides. Please explain your thinking here....

17 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Uhh... Why would switching to oral resolve this issue? If anything the oral will make the drug go far more systemic than the topical and result in worse sides. Please explain your thinking here....

Basically because you manage the dosage unlike the topical solution.

So you can check if decreasing the dosage your body can tolerate it.

for example most of the people who had side effects with finasteride 1mg they cut into half the dosage and barely they feel any side effect.

Edited by JoselitoElGallo

Looks ok but because of your age you need to take finasteride as you dont know how your alopecia will progress. I believe with 1,5-2k grafts you will have a very good result but it also depends on the hair per graft.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, JoselitoElGallo said:

Basically because you manage the dosage unlike the topical solution.

So you can check if decreasing the dosage your body can tolerate it.

for example most of the people who had side effects with finasteride 1mg they cut into half the dosage and barely they feel any side effect.

He’s already taking 0.5mg per day. In my opinion, he could try switching to a high-grade topical like XYONHealth and then incorporate dut 1x per week. That may actually be better. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Mike10 said:

I do not think your donor looks great. You should book an onsite consultation to have it checked throughly before taking fufrther steps. As 31 years is young and you have balding in the crown, looks also like you would need to commit to medictation long term

I agree with you on everything except the crown comment.  That looks like a fairly standard cowlick under bright light conditions to me.

8 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

He’s already taking 0.5mg per day. In my opinion, he could try switching to a high-grade topical like XYONHealth and then incorporate dut 1x per week. That may actually be better. 

We are talking about the mix to switch to oral and decrease the dosage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John1991 said:

I agree with you on everything except the crown comment.  That looks like a fairly standard cowlick under bright light conditions to me.

Thanks John. Maybe we would need clearer pics

29 minutes ago, JoselitoElGallo said:

We are talking about the mix to switch to oral and decrease the dosage.

38 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Also, we're talking about min not fin here... Just to be clear!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Max31 said:

IMG_1363.jpg

Judging by your donor, in order to not look absolutely ridiculous from the back you're going to have to find a surgeon who will meticulously extract from a wide pattern, or extract from higher in the donor. Even then you will probably disappointed in the donor appearance when all said and done.

Maybe go very conservative like 1-1.5k grafts to fill in the temples. Frontal third looks ok density wise.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, Gatsby said:

My thoughts with retrograde alopecia is to ask would you consider utilizing your beard grafts as a donor source in conjunction with scalp grafts? Eugenix would be a great choice for this. Just a thought. All the best!

Yes, I can use my beard grafts too. Thanks a lot!

On 7/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, MAIZE1694 said:

Judging by your donor, in order to not look absolutely ridiculous from the back you're going to have to find a surgeon who will meticulously extract from a wide pattern, or extract from higher in the donor. Even then you will probably disappointed in the donor appearance when all said and done.

Maybe go very conservative like 1-1.5k grafts to fill in the temples. Frontal third looks ok density wise.

Thanks for your advise!

On 7/15/2022 at 7:19 PM, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

You are a good candidate for a hair transplant procedure. My hair loss was very similar to yours. 

Check out my story:

I think your case is a bit different - you don't seem to suffer from retrograde alopecia.

On 7/15/2022 at 4:40 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Thanks for your advise. My dermatologist said to continue with fin for at least 12 and then  re-evaluate.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:35 PM, BaldV said:

Looks ok but because of your age you need to take finasteride as you dont know how your alopecia will progress. I believe with 1,5-2k grafts you will have a very good result but it also depends on the hair per graft.

Yeah I am aware that I need to take fin for the rest of my life.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:17 PM, NEVER GET TRANSPLANT said:

You need to be able to commit to a long term use of oral finasteride. 

That is very important because I can see that the whorl on your crown is starting to thin. 

Also you are showing signs of retrograde alopecia above the ears and on the nape. 

Now no panic retrograde is not the end of the world. It just means that your donor capacity is reduced. Finasteride will be important long term. 

Are you a good candidate ? Not ideal but yeah you are a decent candidate. 

You don't have a lot of hairloss. Looks like Nw 2. 

But do your research first. Don't rush things. Avoid turkish hairmills of course. 

Transplants are always a gamble and you can't shave your head if it doesn't work. You'll have permanent scarring even with FUE

You have to accept the possibility of failure and also that even if your transplant turns ou to be a sucess your new hairline will always be seethrough under harsh lighting. 

And that you may require touch-ups and additionnal procedures. 

The "one and done" thing is a myth. 

Freitas, Bisanga, Pinto would be a good options for you. 

Thanks for all the information! Much appreciated!

On 7/15/2022 at 3:02 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Max31,

Based on the photos and information you’ve presented, I would say that you are a possible candidate for hair transplant surgery. I do see that the donor area looks a little thin in the nape area and just above it. However, the rest of the donor looks pretty solid in the pictures.  The good news is you still have retained a lot of natural hair. You seem to the around a Norwood class 2 with only minimal signs of visible thinning in the crown.

How long have you been on finasteride and do you feel it’s slowing down or stopping the progression of androgenetic alopecia?  if so, how long do you feel that your hair loss has been stable?

Just keep in mind that proceeding with hair transplant surgery will not negate your ongoing need to use finasteride. In other words, hair transplant surgery can restore hair to thinning and bald areas of the scalp but it will do nothing to stop the progression of genetic hair loss. That’s why most people who undergo hair restoration surgery also continue long-term use of non-surgical solutions.

if you’re interested in a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal so you can go over all of your questions and see how we can help you meet your hair restoration goals, feel free to send me a private message and I can set this up for you.

Best Wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

I have been on oral finasteride for about 2,5 months. For now, I do not see any benefits, but I understand it can take up to 12 months to work.