can you get away with a lower density if you you opt for buzzcut and combine fue with smp?

Yes, I have seen a dozen or so cases of this “short is more” approach but this must be understood that this is a visual achievement meant for those individuals with a low/narrow color contrast…it does not work with wide color contrast cases.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

Seems like a decent plan. However, you’ll have to shave. Buzz cut I’m not sure would work as well as shaved. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, gillenator said:

Yes, I have seen a dozen or so cases of this “short is more” approach but this must be understood that this is a visual achievement meant for those individuals with a low/narrow color contrast…it does not work with wide color contrast cases.

wouldnt the smp lower the contrast?

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Seems like a decent plan. However, you’ll have to shave. Buzz cut I’m not sure would work as well as shaved. 

ah i see

this seem already too long

i wonder what this length is, zero guard?

image.jpeg.51dee43eee11c7ad4a4b74f7b09df799.jpeg

image.jpeg.7cf20ea525f114afcbba4a4a5bf20514.jpeg

or here, at 5:14

would it be necesserary to shave it wet everyday?

• Administrators

I shaving with a facial electron razor is good enough. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Maybe no guard is over stating it as that would basically just shave it clean. Maybe a guard 1 or 0.5 if they even make those? 

yes 0.5mm or 1mm should be fine, then you also have a kind of 3d effect and maybe even feel some stubble when you go over it

i wonder if - in this case - you dont have to put the grafts that dense , distribute it more even. this could be interesting for higher norwoods. because even in good results the restored hairline starts often starts very high, almost midscalp. maybe with fue + smp + buzzcut you can be more aggressive with the hairline then ?

this doesnt seem super dense?

image.jpeg.da467b768eaa204039ebe5ad23c04d0f.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

To be honest I’ve seen this performed most when transplants have not given the density required and SMP has later been added as a ‘repair’ if you will in attempting to create visual density. The problem is that visual density between the non balding and the transplanted area will show a contrast. I’ve also seen Dr Bhatti do a video on performing low density FUE and SMP hair transplants for patients who are not candidates for stand alone surgery. I’m not a fan of this approach myself (just my opinion). All the best. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

To be honest I’ve seen this performed most when transplants have not given the density required and SMP has later been added as a ‘repair’ if you will in attempting to create visual density. The problem is that visual density between the non balding and the transplanted area will show a contrast. I’ve also seen Dr Bhatti do a video on performing low density FUE and SMP hair transplants for patients who are not candidates for stand alone surgery. I’m not a fan of this approach myself (just my opinion). All the best. 

im just wondering if its at least an option for higher norwoods with not a good donor or thin hair diameters

like even if we look at absolute killer results like this:

which is a 12/10 result and not common at all, but even here the hairline is still quite high. and like i said, not common at all. many norwood 6/7 seem to have the crown bald on top of that too even after ht

personally id rather opt for a smp with some fue added 3d effect in that case then

Edited by mr_peanutbutter

I dont think SMP works if you dont 0 guard your head with clipers every day or every second day and the reason is that after 2 days there is an obvious contrast between the 2D ink dots and the 3D grown hair. You can find countless examples of that (HT+0 guard shave+ SMP)in famous SMP artists' instagram pages

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimKan1 said:

I dont think SMP works if you dont 0 guard your head with clipers every day or every second day and the reason is that after 2 days there is an obvious contrast between the 2D ink dots and the 3D grown hair. You can find countless examples of that (HT+0 guard shave+ SMP)in famous SMP artists' instagram pages

do those examples look good? 

I would say only aobut 20% of the photos/ videos posted above look acceptable to me. I am interested in this too, just in case as a back up strategy for the future. 

3 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

do those examples look good? 

I would say only aobut 20% of the photos/ videos posted above look acceptable to me. I am interested in this too, just in case as a back up strategy for the future. 

Visit Ahead Ink , Elixir SMP and Samuel Troonen they have a lot of examples on their instagram, also famous football player Welsey Sneijder has this done, also famous Israeli singer Eyal Golan.

If you ask me the results with shaved head look great, the ones with grown out hair do not

Edited by JimKan1

9 hours ago, JimKan1 said:

Visit Ahead Ink , Elixir SMP and Samuel Troonen they have a lot of examples on their instagram, also famous football player Welsey Sneijder has this done, also famous Israeli singer Eyal Golan.

If you ask me the results with shaved head look great, the ones with grown out hair do not

wow smeijder got fat

snejder

image.thumb.png.c98529f1923e7b067b194f5f617b65ec.png

On 7/6/2022 at 11:55 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

wouldnt the smp lower the contrast?

Yes but only to a small degree because the real issue is how much light is reflecting off the barren scalp.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 7/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, mr_peanutbutter said:

i didnt even know sneijder had an ht

image.jpeg.90a9e212a483f2e7d1b545477e5319b6.jpeg

looks like he got an ht all over the norwood 5 region

not bad

image.jpeg.1dd1d7e3d34a056d2ab3026e222d575a.jpeg

There is a sh*t tone of footballers who got HTs

Shaqiri, Karius, Rooney, David Silva, Beckam, Fabregas, Berbatov, Stokes etc.

Some of them will have to shave and SMP in the future

Edited by JimKan1

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

That looks pretty good in terms of naturalness, like he's getting close to needing to do something. It would be really tricky to try to turn back the clock much further. And he'd be wise to still do finasteride and minoxidil to hang on to what he's got left for as long as possible. 

On 7/6/2022 at 9:58 PM, Gatsby said:

is the video on youtube?

Just gonna give my honest opinion, if you've seen a few examples IN PERSON... SMP looks great for like a couple months ( and especially right after you get it )... butttt it always fades and blurs to some extent.  Yes, even the good ones.  I wouldn't rely on it as a first or second approach... maybe save it for if something goes wrong, or as a back up.

Edited by MisterBreakfast