3100 FUE + PRP- Dr. Arocha- May 2022

Hello all, my username is DontWait, as in don't wait to do something about your hair loss.  I have been thinning for 10-15 years, and have done nothing until 6 months ago.  6 months ago I decided to get a hair transplant.  After reading everything I could I started Dutasteride, oral Minoxidil plus 3x PRP +LLLT.  To my surprise my crown came back around 75% or so and I gained some hair up front.  Besides PRP, the medications were nearly free (on insurance) and I have zero side effects.

Some would say give it another year and see where you are at.  That is understandable but I am in my late thirties and have waited long enough. 

I usually don't post on these kinds of forums but because this forum helped me find Dr. Arocha I would like to pay it forward.

Dr. Arocha was great to work with, and our personalities meshed well.  He came well recommended and was local to me.  In my list of priorities staying local was important but I understand people traveling to go to the Doctor of their choice.  During our original consultation we decided on 2500 FUE + PRP.  I understand PRP is a debatable topic but it was part of my highly successful original regiment. 

The day of the surgery I asked him lets go big to 3000+, he obliged. My situation was a bit challenging, from my years of sports injuries I am known as a bleeder.  I told him this upfront and he mentioned he had experience with this situation.  In terms of hairline, I asked for "age appropriate".  I didn't want the hairline of a twenty something but I did want high density behind the hairline.  I was told I have an extremely good donor area and enough to lower the hairline if I change my mind in the future.

The surgery was performed over two days, and I was the their only patient those two days.  I had a team of about 5 people working on/ with me.  The most important part, Dr. Arocha was there every step of the way either personally performing the work (extraction, incision, placement) or watching over and giving guidance to his team.  It was fun listening to him give guidance to his team, or answering my questions during the surgery.  As they say, the devil is in the details.

Today is the day after surgery and I have 0 pain or discomfort, I can't believe it. 

Edited by DontWait
  • Like 1

Below are some pictures of my baseline 6 months ago, before DUT, MIN & PRP.  The other pictures are after 4 months, unfortunately I didn't take pictures after 6 months, right before the HT.  They improved a bit over the 4 month pictures, especially the crown.

baseline back.jpg

baseline top.jpg

after meds top.jpg

after meds bacl.jpg

Here are my pictures right after the surgery. 

You will notice some thin hairs below the new hairline, that is regrowth from the medications.  We will see what those end up doing in the future, if they grow, cool, free hair :).

The donor looks spectacular, in my uneducated opinion.  Nice even distribution of extractions (difficult to tell in pic due to lighting) and the punch is so small.  I like to wear my hair short, so this was nice to see.

MOD: Please delete the above two "reserved" posts, thank you.

HT top hairline.jpg

HT tops.jpg

HT Donor.jpg

Edited by DontWait

• Administrators
2 hours ago, DontWait said:

Below are some pictures of my baseline 6 months ago, before DUT, MIN & PRP.  The other pictures are after 4 months, unfortunately I didn't take pictures after 6 months, right before the HT.  They improved a bit over the 4 month pictures, especially the crown.

baseline back.jpg

baseline top.jpg

after meds top.jpg

after meds bacl.jpg

Wow that’s quite the transformation in just 4 months 👏🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 month update. I shed around 50% of the hair. Early growth seems good. Oral Minox is regrowing quite a bit on my juvenile hairline. You can see the weaker looking hair well below my transplanted hair.  Crown is doing very good from the minox, but seems to go through frequent shed cycles, which is assume is good. Started oral minox around 6-7 months ago.

5E402039-37D1-4914-AE14-5B375FBBCDBA.jpeg

3F3FB70A-D9CF-4C12-B2F6-108A71DCB370.jpeg

Edited by DontWait

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, splitting hairs said:

Nice result so far! The meds have worked brilliantly for you! Did you notice any initial shedding when you started dutasteride?

Not sure I had much to shed in the beginning, lol. My crown does go through a shed every couple months. Always comes back a tad stronger. 

• Like 1