Dr use of medical photos results on social media.

Has anyone pushed back on signing a document on how a doctor can use your photographs?

A lot of doctors share their work on social media but with my first transplant the doctor shared my image (with my face obscured) on instagram. I am not happy about that. I think it is great that people who do have it but in my case I don't want it.

I am nearing my 2nd hair transplant and reviewing documents I need to sign and it is listed as "These photographs are the property of [Dr] and are part of your medical record. Photographs in which your face is visible will not be used without your permission."

This writing indicates they can do whatever they want with the images and post them anywhere as long as my face is obscured.

Can I request that I have an additional clause on how to use my photographs?

I do not want my photographs to be shared at all - either my face obscured or not. I would be okay with my photographs only be used by the doctor for reference but I don't want them anywhere else. Has anyone ever told a doctor to change the wording on contracts? Or ever pushed back on something like this?

Just for reference, I'm a woman and getting a HT to lower my hairline.

2 hours ago, QuestionPlease said:

Just for reference, I'm a woman

Not sure what your gender has to do with your question?

Doctors are not mind-readers and sometimes you do have to be vocal and direct with your concerns. Most patients probably don't give 2 hoots if their anonymous and blurred face is used for marketing. So the doctor innocently probably thinks you have no issue with this unless you bring it up. 

I will be shocked if a doctor turns down your money just because he won't be able to use your photos for promotion. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

Just let your surgeon know your wishes and they should respect it. 

Edited by Future Hair Doc
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, FUT4000 said:

why dont you just express this with the doc, i'm sure they will take it down 

^this

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thank you for sharing this information with us QP….I used to work inside the clinic operations before social media was around and the documents were worded very differently.

And YES you can request that the language/wording be amended to suit your objectives by either crossing out the wording that you want eliminated and then be sure to “initial” next to it which shows your acknowledgment to the changes made;  OR, you bring an amendment that you pre-typed and insist that it is made an attachment to the contract.

So although this is not legal advice, I sincerely hope these suggestions are of some help.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Wow, which doctors specifically are doing this? It might be an indicator of their ethics. 

For context, Melvin took the extra step to protect forum members by banning people from posting others photos for surgeon comparisons to spare their feelings. 

I would hope a hair transplant surgeon has the same level of decency. 

But also, people who work in the medical profession have to take caution. They often hire a legal expert who specializes in a particular field. It's not hard to imagine that they just hired a legal professional that specializes in elective surgery, and gave them the same contract they give everyone else. 

The contract may not be an indicator or the doctors attitude towards pictures. 

Ideally, if the patient asks for their pictures to be taken down, they should do it and be deeply understanding of the request. 

Contact your first surgeon, ask them to take down the instagram post. If they don't do it, post what they said here. People need to know. 

It's always a good idea to discuss the issue with the clinic. Sometimes they'll acquiesce because at the end of the day they don't want to cause people problems. Just like in other areas of life, good communication can avoid a lot of unnecessary headaches

9 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Not sure what your gender has to do with your question?

As a woman, she might be more sensitive to not wanting her photos shared for whatever reason. Maybe religious or cultural or personal reasons if the photos aren’t flattering etc etc

Men usually don’t care about this stuff as much. 

19 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

As a woman, she might be more sensitive to not wanting her photos shared for whatever reason. Maybe religious or cultural or personal reasons if the photos aren’t flattering etc etc

Men are as sensitive as women I wouldn’t want my face on any social media or website, it’s all about personal preference nothing to do with the person sex, 2022 time to evolve those kind of comments are getting really old… 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Euphoria said:

If men didn't care about this stuff then we wouldn't all be getting hair transplants to look better.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.