Is this hair loss ? I am only 14

Unlikely.

It's just the natural whorl (/spiral) which always looks thin because of the way the hair fans out in all directions.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

1 hour ago, 1978matt said:

Unlikely.

It's just the natural whorl (/spiral) which always looks thin because of the way the hair fans out in all directions.

Agreed. 

Your curly/wavy hair, accentuates this even further, due to the way the hairs are naturally inclined to pull away from each other. 

Whilst not impossible, it is extremely unlikely to see people at the age of 14 with an onset of male pattern baldness, so I think it is pretty safe to say in this situation, you are good 😉 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Suda said:

4F5DC2D4-F852-4D8E-80AB-6700A21AC5C7.jpeg

80C14360-EF4A-414B-9BEC-6C423453E91E.jpeg

81063F27-C02A-4030-A755-3B0861B0A31D.jpeg

691D5F1A-9943-4C22-A2A5-649848878190.jpeg

E4752D80-CA55-40E5-A7D4-3899B1F0E32B.jpeg

It's just the whorl pattern as mentioned. You don't have anything to worry about just yet but keep an eye on your hair just in case so that when you are a bit older around 15+ you can pick up if anything does start slipping. 

You done a good thing by coming to a place like this and learning about hair loss to help you keep yours for as long as possible. 

Suda,

I agree with what others have said so far in that at 14 years of age, it is very unlikely that you were experiencing androgenetic alopecia a.k.a. genetic hair loss.  What you are seeing is likely the natural whorl pattern of the crown and the appearance of thinning is exacerbated by the fact that your hair is naturally curly/wavy.

However, to be sure, you can always talk to your parent(s) or guardian(s) about consulting a dermatologist or a trichologist who can perform a scalping magnification test to see if there are any signs of miniaturization or other non-genetic hair loss causes.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

12 hours ago, Suda said:

4F5DC2D4-F852-4D8E-80AB-6700A21AC5C7.jpeg

80C14360-EF4A-414B-9BEC-6C423453E91E.jpeg

81063F27-C02A-4030-A755-3B0861B0A31D.jpeg

691D5F1A-9943-4C22-A2A5-649848878190.jpeg

E4752D80-CA55-40E5-A7D4-3899B1F0E32B.jpeg

At 14 you should not be worrying about hair loss.  I am impressed, however, that you reached out to the community at this age.  

It is important to recognize the hair in the front grows forward. The hair in the middle also grows forward and it shingles.  In the crown, however, there is a point from which all hair stems. The hair grows outward from the point, so it makes it the weakest area for everyone.  As other have noted, we refer this as the whirl. But there is something else.

Your hair is very curly which gives you more lateral coverage.  There is a lot of contrast between the color of the skin and the color of the hair.  It makes this look worse than what it truly is.  Lastly, the length of the hair.  If too long, the weight of the hair pulls away from an area living it exposed.  There is always the perfect length in which all hairs seem to be working together to allow for the most density. You may want to go to a good barber, stylist and have them cut the hair to the appropriate length.  See if that helps.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

6 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

No hair loss at all!  

You're 14!  Stop looking in the mirror and go out enjoy yourself sir 

I agree with this sentiment, but I also wish I was aware of MPB when I was this young. 

When I was 14, a full head of hair was the last thing on my mind 😂

• Moderators

Since you are 14 I'm going to take a guess that this is the first time you really took a good look at the hair on your crown and thought "Oh no! I'm losing my hair!" What you can do is take pictures every 6 months for the next couple of years, so you can make comparisons. But in the mean time don't worry about it because everyone has that. You don't see it on some people because they comb their hair back or style it different ways. You can try playing around with different hair styles if it bothers you.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.