HAIR TRANSPLANT DECISION - WHICH IS TH BEST?

Good evening, I am 24, I have closed 1 year oral finasteride and 6 months oral dutasteride and oral minox. I attach a photo of how I am now, I saw a small regrowth in the hairline hairs from the treatment and on other areas stabilization.

1) I consulted with Couto, I went to Spain 1 week ago and he told me that of course he does not take me before 30. Also with a microscopic examination he told me that I am diffuse thinner and that I probably have DUPA, that is, that is worse. He told me that if I had dupa he would know in my 30s, where he told me to go and see me again. he told me that even at 30 he do not know if he will be able to take me on and if I am a suitable candidate for pm .. when I asked him how many grafts I have in the safe donor and how many in unsafe he did not tell me

2) The next few days I went to Zarev, Bulgaria. he told me that I might have retrograde alopecia and he told me that I have the safe donor and the unsafe donor. he saw me with the camera and took about 40 photos all over my head and the donor as well. then, he sat for half an hour and looked at each photo separately and measured the hair follicles and the ratio of hair per hair follicles etc etc. after doing calculations he told me that if I reach NW7 I will need to cover my head about 11,700 grafts (with the crown being a little empty and moderate density, so I told him I have no problem since I already use hair fibers). Then he told me that I have a total:

Safe donor area (2.8 ratio hairs per hair follicles): 13,000 grafts, of which 60+% can be extracted = 8,000 grafts
Unsafe donor area (2 ratios per hair follicle): 11,000 grafts of which can extract 30% = 3,000 grafts
So in total he told me that out of the 24,000 grafts I have in the donor in total he can export about 11,000 grafts and he told me that even if I reach NW7 he will be able to cover me (with little use of local at the same time).

Then he told me that if I want now at 24 I can do a transplant with 1100 grafts in the hairline and temples (with parallel use of hair fibersthat he suggests) or 1500 grafts without the use of hair fibers). She designed my hairline, I attach a photo for you to see. I asked him if with the hairline he has designed we cover the worst possible case when I reach NW7 and he told me that he covers it on the condition that I put hair fibers on the crown and a little on the rest of the head, which I told him I have no problem with. He told me that if I do 1100 grafts now, it will seem as if I have no hair loss at all and that they are enough.

See photos of how i am now and the hairline designed by zarev.

8 (1).jpg

9 (1).jpg

278865608_1720101478382432_4801200314129440733_n (1).jpg

278994865_385052266675947_8881007528039407212_n (1).jpg

4 (1).jpg

• Like 1

The good thing is you’ve gotten on medication quickly before it got really bad.

Instead of using oral minoxidil, use the topical version. There’s no real benefit to using the oral version but you are killing your heart and exposing yourself to serious side effects. 

2 hours ago, nikosgreece said:

since i have some small hairs on the hairline from my treatment and hair fibers hold on them, so my hairline is fixed by hair fibers, is there point to make an transplant 1000 grafts?

Even though you have been on fin for 6+months I still think at 24, your loss is fairly aggressive and you should hold off for a few years. (Easy for me to say since i'm not in your shoes.)

I also think your donor while it holds some grafts, is pretty thin and you might hate how it appears after even a small FUE procedure.

All the best bro.

How cool is this guy that he gets in-person consults w/Couto & Zarev?  One other surgeon you might consider a consult w/is Dr. Mwamba - he has trained w/Dr. C*** in Atlanta & is obsessed w/hair!  Good luck young man & don't rush into anything just yet.  Take it all in and maybe even wait another year (since you use fibers) & see where you are at age 25. 

It's good you are taking Dut & Oral minox - that will keep your 'donor' healthy as long as possible whilst you get older even w/your aggressive family history.

Please keep us updated down the road.

Edited by jjsrader

3 hours ago, nikosgreece said:

since i have some small hairs on the hairline from my treatment and hair fibers hold on them, so my hairline is fixed by hair fibers, is there point to make an transplant 1000 grafts?

Well, you will likely continue to lose hair, but it will likely still be an improvement from your baseline.

Why would you decide not to do the crown, I'm assuming because you are ok with using fibers on it for now, or because it is too early considering your age?

I would stay on Finasteride for a further 6 months to see the full effects. It can take up-to 12 months in most cases to stabilise your hairloss. 

Then you can reassess.

I like that Zarev is offering a small procedure of up-to 1500 grafts. I think this is wise (after your hair stabilises further) instead of going for a larger surgery.

• 1 month later...

Hello, i visited many doctors durig this time. Couto, Zarev, Lorenzo and 15 days ago i went to freitas in spain.

Dr freitas was the more organized from all of them. He answered me the questions and told me how they work. they also answer me by whatsupp app some questions i had after i visited them.

Zarev is not replyng my emails. so not good option.

Lorenzo results i saw not so good.

So, my decision is by far the best freitas and i have already booked hair transplant with him! I am very happy. About 1800 grafts.

Thanks @De Freitas Clinic

Edited by nikosgreece

52 minutes ago, nikosgreece said:

Hello, i visited many doctors durig this time. Couto, Zarev, Lorenzo and 15 days ago i went to freitas in spain.

Dr freitas was the more organized from all of them. He answered me the questions and told me how they work. they also answer me by whatsupp app some questions i had after i visited them.

So, my decision is by far the best freitas and i have already booked hair transplant with him! I am very happy. About 1800 grafts.

How long is the wait?

1 hour ago, nikosgreece said:

Hey brother - how long is the wait for the transplant with dr de Freitas?

On 7/3/2022 at 2:49 AM, nikosgreece said:

Good morning nikosgreece. Thank you for sharing your experience.

It is a pleasure for us to help our patients and all the people interested in our hair restoration process.

We remain at your disposal for any questions you may have.

▪️Ignacio Torres Blanchard - Representative of De Freitas Clinic
▪️https://www.injertocapilar-alopecia.es/en - https://www.clinicadefreitas.com
▪️
(+34) 681 273 588

De Freitas Clinic.png

On 7/3/2022 at 1:49 AM, nikosgreece said:

How much was it and what date was given?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 5:49 PM, nikosgreece said:

Good choice!

3 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

Did this get answered?

No - but I went ahead and made an appointment myself so I now have the answer. My appointment with Dr De Freitas is 1 year from now. Very excited 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 3:49 AM, nikosgreece said:

So you have confirmed the booking with de Freitas ?  

I would tell you to avoid Lorenzo as his results do not have good yield cause he is a tech driven clinic.