Beginning my HT journey, due diligence

Bb111

Hey everyone,

First of all thank you for this great forum and all those that contribute. This is truly a great community.

I am posting as I have finally decided to pursue a hair transplant after a couple of years of going back and forth. I have reached out to some of the recommended surgeons/clinics on the forum and feel the best about one of them. Even though I am feeling confident about the surgeon I want to do my due diligence in terms of # of grafts proposed and the type of results that I have the potential for (I understand nothing is guaranteed). I would love your opinions. A little about me , I am 41 years old and have been on 0.5mg finasteride 3x week for 2 months.

They are recommending approximately 3800 grafts. Do you think I will get good/"dense" coverage with that amount? Any tips or suggestions on my specific hair pattern? Do you think my donor area is looks adequate?

Thank you so much in advance!

1742431074_HT11-Copy.thumb.jpg.086c3c9396d358870f14d9107b8e00cc.jpg

2131245391_HT2-Copy.thumb.jpg.d539ed4d08b51590ecbb07e504699e49.jpg

882264229_HT3-Copy.thumb.jpg.158c1a0dca02985416a33fc1046f1499.jpg

680182754_HT5-Copy.thumb.jpg.c8256b0ac2dfdd74122ab4c4e0e3d36e.jpg

1301597270_ht44-Copy-Copy.thumb.jpg.dada0597cc4c33b10d4895e334f132bb.jpg

898463456_HT66-Copy.thumb.jpg.aadd8645a8cc5a6357f976cbdf5426a4.jpg

Edited by bbq111
more pictures

If I was you I'd do this in 2 procedures. Frontal area in 1st pass then the crown area. You can potentially get some grafts in the crown in the 1st pass I believe but I wouldn't go for a 5k graft procedure. What Dr did you choose? Are they claiming full coverage Frontal area and crown with 3800?

Edited by JoeMan

After looking at your pictures better, maybe they are expecting Finasteride to grow some of the weak hair in the crown area. You still have quite a large area to cover as your left side (right in pictures) looks like it's more depleted? I'm thinking 4,500 with some crown work but not much. But I can't see the temple area well. Can you post temple areas?

Edited by JoeMan

Given your case and age, I believe 4000-4500 could address all areas. The donor looks great. With 3800 i think only frontal/Midscalp can be done mostly. 

• Like 2

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Thank you Dr. Barghouthi as well as everyone for your thoughts. I really appreciate all of you.

Some updates to my post based on your comments. Yes they are hoping thst finasteride will help with the crown. If it doesn't they have said I may need more grafts. I will try to post a picture of the temples tonight.

Thank you again. 

The only concern I would have with the donor is the crown further dipping, of which I can maybe see some early signs. Nevertheless, the rest of your donor looks good and I think you could obtain a very nice result with the right surgeon. 

• Administrators

What are your expectations ?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

55 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

What are your expectations ?

Great question Melvin. I know I have a higher norwood grade and therefore the rational part of me is hoping for good frontal coverage and some crown coverage ( enough coverage where hairstyling and some fibers would be enough). Of course there is a small part of me that's hoping for even more but I am prepared for that being less likely. 

Any thoughts on those expectations. I rather have a reality check now so be honest. 

Thank you.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, bbq111 said:

Great question Melvin. I know I have a higher norwood grade and therefore the rational part of me is hoping for good frontal coverage and some crown coverage ( enough coverage where hairstyling and some fibers would be enough). Of course there is a small part of me that's hoping for even more but I am prepared for that being less likely. 

Any thoughts on those expectations. I rather have a reality check now so be honest. 

Thank you.

Well, for one, you’ll always have some see through effect in certain lighting. You’ll need multiple procedures, and even then it won’t be perfect. This is a lifelong commitment. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Well, for one, you’ll always have some see through effect in certain lighting. You’ll need multiple procedures, and even then it won’t be perfect. This is a lifelong commitment. 

I think that's fair and I have prepared myself that I'll likely need another procedure down the road. 

Also I have looked through many cases in this forum. What a great resource. One thing I haven't come across yet is someone with a very similar hair loss pattern as me (or maybe I am just splitting hairs :P ) Anyone remember a case that is similar and can point me to that thread?  Thank you.