Stopping oral finasteride,topical dutasteride and minoxidil before transplant

Hi I need to know what hair medication I need to stop before hair transplant.

Do I need stop taking finasteride a few days before hair transplant?

When to stop topical minoxidil before hair transplant?

Do I need to stop topical dutasteride before hair transplant?

Do I need to stop taking oral minoxidil before hair transplant and can I restart a day after transplant?

As far as i'm aware, you should never have to stop oral medication like Finasteride etc. prior to the procedure but topical stuff being stopped might help just having the area be free of chemicals as much as possible. 

You should though always ask the clinic but where are you planning to go? 

What's most important is to do your research and find a reputable clinic to do your hair transplant like from the recommended list here. Find one that best matches your hair restoration goals. 

7 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

As far as i'm aware, you should never have to stop oral medication like Finasteride etc. prior to the procedure but topical stuff being stopped might help just having the area be free of chemicals as much as possible. 

You should though always ask the clinic but where are you planning to go? 

What's most important is to do your research and find a reputable clinic to do your hair transplant like from the recommended list here. Find one that best matches your hair restoration goals. 

I'm booked to go to a reputable clinic recommended on this forum. My surgery is due early next week. 

45 minutes ago, taza said:

I'm booked to go to a reputable clinic recommended on this forum. My surgery is due early next week. 

Then the best thing to do is contact the representative of the clinic you are being looked after by and ask them what their process is in terms of whether you need to stop taking those oral or topical medications etc. 

I would wager the oral medication for Finasteride should be fine, you might potentially get asked to stop Oral Minoxodil due to potential impact with blood pressure. The topical stuff mainly to make sure the recipient areas as healthy as possible and clear of any chemicals potentially affecting grafts. 

Double check with them though, this is just an educated laymen guess.

• Like 1

I am also going to get my procedure done with Dr Demirsoy in a couple weeks who is apparently very reputable and was told to stop taking fin 2 weeks before the procedure and I'm wondering if this is normal too and whether I should actually stop taking it or not since this seems a bt inconsistent.

Stopping minoxidil is legit because it can cause excessive bleeding during surgery. There is no reason to stop finasteride before surgery. If this clinic is asking you to stop finasteride that's a red flag. Be careful, make sure you are going to a clinic with a trustworthy reputation and proven results here on the forum. Don't just rely on instagram or other website reviews.  

Hi @taza

I have heard at least one well-known clinic (can't remember which) recommend pausing it before the surgery and their logic was this: if you stop taking it for long enough, the truly stable donor hair would remain unaffected and the rest would start to miniaturise. That way during extraction they know which ones are the safest to take. I have no idea if stopping just one week ahead of the surgery would serve this purpose though.

Just ask them if you are in doubt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

Hi @taza

I have heard at least one well-known clinic (can't remember which) recommend pausing it before the surgery and their logic was this: if you stop taking it for long enough, the truly stable donor hair would remain unaffected and the rest would start to miniaturise. That way during extraction they know which ones are the safest to take. I have no idea if stopping just one week ahead of the surgery would serve this purpose though.

Just ask them if you are in doubt.

Yes  . I heard that too, i believe they recommend stopping fin 1 month pre op.

4 hours ago, taza said:

Stopping finasteride one week before doesn't make any sense. If you are planning to take finasteride  for the rest of your life all donor area should be stable.

1) plans change, some people stop taking it later on. It is not a vitamin supplement but a hormonal drug.

2) it's not bullet proof, donor area can still deplete over time