Dr. Diep Second FUT Transplant - 1750 Grafts - Approximately 4,000 Grafts Total

AlexMeister21

It will be interesting to see how Diep's business is affected (or not) by all these recent incidents. 

The San Fran metro area has such a huge population, and so many wealthy people as well who can afford Diep's prices. And most of these people are going to be uneducated, not read the reviews on here, are only going to be choosing based on location and Yelp reviews. 

Real industry change needs to come from laws and regulation. Unfortunately I don't think Diep will have any real true impetus to change his ethics or bizarre surgery tactics. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I was only offered a repair after I pressed on about the issues that I had with my transplants. On my video call with Dr. Diep, he tried to assure me that my results were great and initially only offered to revise the scar for free and was suggesting I come in and do another paid procedure to increase density. I pushed and kept explaining why I was dissatisfied with my results, which he could see the lack of density through the video call. Eventually he offered me 800 grafts free in addition to the scar revision, to which I declined. It was only after I mentioned how no one here on HRN approved of my results, except for maybe Melvin, that Dr. Diep offered the partial refund.

Then, I spoke with Diep's wife regarding the refund, and any concern I had was met with strong defense or biased justification. I mentioned the wide scar, and she tried to explain the reason why my scar was wide was because I had 4,000 grafts extracted. To counter, I mentioned the recent 20, 21 year old Diep patient who had 500 grafts extracted by FUT and how his scar was almost as wide as mine, and she basically said that the scar is dependent on the individual. What irks me is she even said that that young patient had went into their office and they thought his results were fine and that he just needed to comb it over. Are we paying to achieve an expensive combover? 

I asked them about the experience level of their technicians and she told me their techs have been with them for 5-10 years. I asked them if they all have been working consistently as a team, which she said yes. Then I mentioned how the techs that were working on me were asking each other "acquaintance level" questions, such as how old they were or if they were married, to which she replied that they don't control the conversations of their employees and that even she doesn't ask her coworkers if they're married or not. Huh?

I also mentioned the recent removal of Diep from the surgeon's recommended list, to which I was told that it was their decision to be removed as opposed to being voted off because they didn't want to be associated with negativity.

Oh, I could go on. I was initially just going to take the refund and end or limit my Diep tirades, but this just fueled the fire in me. I'm legitimately pissed.

Perhaps there can be a class action lawsuit? Diep has many unsatisfied patients.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

It was only after I mentioned how no one here on HRN approved of my results, except for maybe Melvin, that Dr. Diep offered the partial refund.

How can one deny the lack of quality after seeing your pictures? 

I don't like that certain people on this forum always try to be the positivity guru's. "Just wait 18 months and it will get better". "You're just 6 months in, it can still start to grow". "There could still be progress after 12 months."

All those claims are absolute bull cr4p. And sometimes it's better to be honest about it. It's not nice for the patient to hear, but after hearing the truth you can move on easier. Either by another surgery, or by accepting your fate. 

Edited by Pubichair
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

It will be interesting to see how Diep's business is affected (or not) by all these recent incidents. 

The San Fran metro area has such a huge population, and so many wealthy people as well who can afford Diep's prices. And most of these people are going to be uneducated, not read the reviews on here, are only going to be choosing based on location and Yelp reviews. 

Real industry change needs to come from laws and regulation. Unfortunately I don't think Diep will have any real true impetus to change his ethics or bizarre surgery tactics. 

I feel like he wouldn't be affected as much because he probably still pulls the majority of his patients from his YouTube channel. He's also rated close to 5 stars on Google, Yelp, Realself, etc. Unless those platforms are affected, he doesn't have much reason to change his methods as he'd still probably be profitable. 

In terms of legal action, all of his patients are required to sign a paper stating that they wouldn't sue the clinic. I'm fine not receiving a full refund, though I think the refund amount they offered is not very courteous. I'm very annoyed that they basically acknowledge all of the criticisms being made against their clinic and brush it off like they're being victimized and nothing needs to be changed or accounted for. Really shows a lack of ethics. 

10 hours ago, HairRun said:

Perhaps there can be a class action lawsuit? Diep has many unsatisfied patients.

I'd join a class action lawsuit against him for sure. Just don't know how that'd even start.

5 hours ago, Pubichair said:

How can one deny the lack of quality after seeing your pictures? 

I don't like that certain people on this forum always try to be the positivity guru's. "Just wait 18 months and it will get better". "You're just 6 months in, it can still start to grow". "There could still be progress after 12 months."

So far, Dr. Diep and his wife are the only ones saying my result is good. Another thing that bothers me is that both of them tried to convince me that the purpose of my second transplant was for lowering the hairline, implying that that's the main reason why there's still a lack of density from my first transplant. It's like they don't expect me to have any post-op photos where you can clearly see grafts dispersed all over my frontal region. 

Edited by AlexMeister21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I'd join a class action lawsuit against him for sure. Just don't know how that'd even start.

I'm not sure either. I reached out to JimCraig , lopsidedpair on reddit who is in contact with a lot of his former patients. 

On 8/30/2022 at 7:50 AM, AlexMeister21 said:

I don't want to style my hair and post favorable photos because that is not beneficial to other people trying to make an informed decision on a procedure that's permanent. I posted a photo around my four month mark of my hair styled in favorable lighting. I could just post photos like that and people would think I had a great result when I did not. I also don't want others taking those types of photos and misleading others into thinking I had a good result. Anyways, here are photos I just took without touching my hair, so this is what it looks like normally:

image.thumb.jpeg.b48ca37cfb1078a82de1ae39e72a5f54.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1a334cf46e258714102cdc9b78f1d6ad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.49e4ae287154ff8c6ea820575a9f1853.jpeg

Bro I’m sorry for your bad experience. Being a former Diep’s patient myself, it is sad to see things like this. Eventhough my result has been pretty good for being 5.5 years post-op and only turning 24 when I had my procedure, I do share some concerns with you. Most importantly, Dr.Diep’s donor management and scarring prevention still has lots to be desired. While my procedure with him was FUE, I have scarring in my donor that looks like a FUT scar. At first I thought it was shock loss but its still quite visible today if I cut the back short.

While my hair looks quite ok normally, if my hair is wet or if I part my hair in the transplanted areas, it would have a see through effect where I can clearly see my scalp. This is expected as we cannot replicate the same density as native hair. I am lucky because my hair is quite thick so its not a huge issue for me but I am sure it would be an issue for people with thinner hair.

Over the past few months, I have also been shedding hair quite a bit. Maybe because its a seasonal shed but also maybe because I have been working out a lot and lost quite a bit of weight over the past 6 months. Now if I stand under strong sunlight, my hairline would have a see through effect too.

For your case, I would also expect better density than what you are having now since you already had 2 procedures in that area. Maybe show us some photos of your hair with normal daily styling? What I am concerned most in your case is that FUT scar. I remember looking at some of Dr.Diep’s FUT scars prior to my procedure and they were not great but not as bad at your case. 

8 hours ago, mikenguyenn said:

Bro I’m sorry for your bad experience. Being a former Diep’s patient myself, it is sad to see things like this. Eventhough my result has been pretty good for being 5.5 years post-op and only turning 24 when I had my procedure, I do share some concerns with you. Most importantly, Dr.Diep’s donor management and scarring prevention still has lots to be desired. While my procedure with him was FUE, I have scarring in my donor that looks like a FUT scar. At first I thought it was shock loss but its still quite visible today if I cut the back short.

While my hair looks quite ok normally, if my hair is wet or if I part my hair in the transplanted areas, it would have a see through effect where I can clearly see my scalp. This is expected as we cannot replicate the same density as native hair. I am lucky because my hair is quite thick so its not a huge issue for me but I am sure it would be an issue for people with thinner hair.

Over the past few months, I have also been shedding hair quite a bit. Maybe because its a seasonal shed but also maybe because I have been working out a lot and lost quite a bit of weight over the past 6 months. Now if I stand under strong sunlight, my hairline would have a see through effect too.

For your case, I would also expect better density than what you are having now since you already had 2 procedures in that area. Maybe show us some photos of your hair with normal daily styling? What I am concerned most in your case is that FUT scar. I remember looking at some of Dr.Diep’s FUT scars prior to my procedure and they were not great but not as bad at your case. 

I just checked out your scar photos in your original thread and it's crazy that it does look like an FUT scar near the nape area. There are quite a few Diep patients who may have reported good or satisfactory growth in the transplanted area, but then had problems with donor management. Very unacceptable that they have not improved their methods over the years.

My hair is also see-through most of the time because of the poor density and row implantation. If I grow my hair long enough, then I can cover up the problems to a degree by pushing my hair back, but then I need to push it back down and comb it over at the front to cover up the unnaturalness at the hairline. It's not easy for me to just grab some gel and style it because even if I cover up the thinness where my natural temples should be, I am exposing the weird-looking hairline. It's also annoying how my grafts are angled upwards like Elvis.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like I won't be getting the refund. After the phone call, Diep's clinic said they would only process refund if I delete all bad postings and if I sign a NDA. I stated I would only do this if they provide a full refund as opposed to just $2,500. Their response was rather vague but it seems like they are still only offering $2,500. 

I feel a bit relieved to be honest. I would've kept quiet for a full refund, but I think I'm going to need an outlet to vent my frustrations as I continue to understand the consequences of my two procedures with Diep as time goes on. Plus, I'd rather try to help others make a more informed decision on their choice of surgeon. Signing an NDA for such a small amount feels insulting and would hurt me on a spiritual level. 

Anyways, not much of an update, but thought it would be worth documenting for those doing their research on Diep. 

Edited by AlexMeister21
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Well Done 4
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1

35 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Seems like I won't be getting the refund. After the phone call, Diep's clinic said they would only process refund if I delete all bad postings and if I sign a NDA. I stated I would only do this if they provide a full refund as opposed to just $2,500. Their response was rather vague but it seems like they are still only offering $2,500. 

I feel a bit relieved to be honest. I would've kept quiet for a full refund, but I think I'm going to need an outlet to vent my frustrations as I continue to understand the consequences of my two procedures with Diep as time goes on. Plus, I'd rather try to help others make a more informed decision on their choice of surgeon. Signing an NDA for such a small amount feels insulting and would hurt me on a spiritual level. 

Anyways, not much of an update, but thought it would be worth documenting for those doing their research on Diep.

Very honorable and ethical to resist the $2.5k. 

Stinks when patients have to act with more ethics than the clinic.  

Have an internet beer on me, friend. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Very honorable and ethical to resist the $2.5k. 

Stinks when patients have to act with more ethics than the clinic.  

Have an internet beer on me, friend. 

Thank you. I just imagine 10-30 years from now if I'm on my way to a NW6 and I only have 1,000 grafts left in the bank and my frontal region looks pluggy as hell and my scar is showing in all its glory, I may have an aneurysm realizing my silence was bought for such a lowball amount. At least with a full refund, it would suggest they accept responsibility and then I wouldn't feel too bad about it. 

image.gif.d098c0bc833d9b42edfa05d499da4101.gif

• Haha 2
  • Well Done 1

7 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

This is an absolute disgrace and glad you didn’t take their embarrassing offer. I’d imagine this isn’t the clinics first time making such an offer, and I wonder how many more bad results are out there… but that’s just speculating…

Honestly you deserve more than a full refund.   Have you decided on a repair clinic? 

8 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

You did the right choice. This is definitely an unethical behavior from a clinic to ask you to delete the bad posts about them and you cant trust a clinic that behaves like that.

Your result with Diep is really bad with a huge and ugly FUT scar.

Everyone should read your thread, avoid the same mistakes and  make the right choice. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by BaldGuy

11 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Deleting the "bad" postings...I would have responded interesting world you live in where the truth is "bad"...is that a "bad" blue sky you see there, "bad" green grass?

Sad to see.

11 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

You are a man of honor. I'm going to be spreading this thread to every person I ever encounter online that is thinking about diep as an option. 

If  ever become a millionaire I will 1000% pay for OP's future repair hair transplants! Mark my words!!!!

• Administrators
13 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

We are the only ones with the authority to take down threads. Signing an NDA isn’t one of them. I hope other members don’t believe they’ll be able to delete posts or threads because they’re refunded. That’s not gonna happen.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I was about to go to diep too back then. I droved two hours to their clinic for a consultation. It was one of the biggest decision of my life at that time. To get surgery n spend $20,000. That’s a 4 hour drive back and forth.

i was expecting a 30 minute consultation, future plans, Miniaturization level n stuff like to help ease my mind.. 

he spent 10 mins with me, telling me how many grafts I need. Then reached over, took a drawing pencil and drew an example hairline in 10 seconds. He was very rough with it. It’s like relax man, don’t yank my hair out, it’s fragile. But yeah he told he I should let him do my surgery because he’s good with Asian hair. 

Well two weeks prior to surgery with them, I didn’t have a good feeling about them,  and booked an emergency transplant with hasson n wong instead. 
n went through my bank to get my $1000 deposit from diep back, when they refused to refund it to me. 
I haven’t had to go back to h n w for a touch up, n with fin I haven’t had to get anymore surgery. It’s been 3-4 years now.. that’s my story with diep. Goodluck to u . 

19 hours ago, Z-- said:

This is an absolute disgrace and glad you didn’t take their embarrassing offer. I’d imagine this isn’t the clinics first time making such an offer, and I wonder how many more bad results are out there… but that’s just speculating…

Honestly you deserve more than a full refund.   Have you decided on a repair clinic? 

Yes, I have a repair and I will be making a new thread pretty soon. I actually spoke with other Diep patients who were offered a partial refund. The funny thing is that when you detract the refund amount from the total cost of surgery, it brings the cost to a little over $5/graft for FUT, which I believe is what they were charging 2-3 years ago before they bumped up their prices. 

19 hours ago, BaldGuy said:

You did the right choice. This is definitely an unethical behavior from a clinic to ask you to delete the bad posts about them and you cant trust a clinic that behaves like that.

Your result with Diep is really bad with a huge and ugly FUT scar.

Everyone should read your thread, avoid the same mistakes and  make the right choice. Thanks for sharing.

Really wish I was smart enough not to go to Diep twice. From my dealings and discussions with them, it is clear to me that they prioritize profit over patient satisfaction. Literally tried to sell me on coming in to pay for a third procedure. At least I wasn't dumb enough to agree to that, eh? 🤡

17 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

It is not the best transplant I have ever seen...

And attempting to buy your silence with hush money? 

This Dr is digging himself into a diep hole indeed...

Would just like to clarify that I was the one who stated the whole "buying my silence" thing, as that's what they would have essentially accomplished if they gave me a full refund, but perhaps that's not their intention. Getting the vibe from Diep and co. that they would attempt to protect profits, so don't want them to try to find things to twist against me. 

16 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Deleting the "bad" postings...I would have responded interesting world you live in where the truth is "bad"...is that a "bad" blue sky you see there, "bad" green grass?

Sad to see.

It's impossible to argue any points with them. Spent 1 hour and 40 minutes on the phone with them and all they did was defend their clinic and decisions. Very frustrating. 

16 hours ago, stephcurry30 said:

You are a man of honor. I'm going to be spreading this thread to every person I ever encounter online that is thinking about diep as an option. 

If  ever become a millionaire I will 1000% pay for OP's future repair hair transplants! Mark my words!!!!

Haha thanks. If you or I become a millionaire, I'd rather have a class action lawsuit created against Diep to get retribution for all his victims. 

13 hours ago, Legend007 said:

I was about to go to diep too back then. I droved two hours to their clinic for a consultation. It was one of the biggest decision of my life at that time. To get surgery n spend $20,000. That’s a 4 hour drive back and forth.

i was expecting a 30 minute consultation, future plans, Miniaturization level n stuff like to help ease my mind.. 

he spent 10 mins with me, telling me how many grafts I need. Then reached over, took a drawing pencil and drew an example hairline in 10 seconds. He was very rough with it. It’s like relax man, don’t yank my hair out, it’s fragile. But yeah he told he I should let him do my surgery because he’s good with Asian hair. 

Well two weeks prior to surgery with them, I didn’t have a good feeling about them,  and booked an emergency transplant with hasson n wong instead. 
n went through my bank to get my $1000 deposit from diep back, when they refused to refund it to me. 
I haven’t had to go back to h n w for a touch up, n with fin I haven’t had to get anymore surgery. It’s been 3-4 years now.. that’s my story with diep. Goodluck to u . 

I wish I had your intuition. First time I met Diep in his office, I remember getting up from my seat and doing a slight bow when he entered the room because I was convinced from his YouTube vids that he was a hair transplant genius. Oh, that makes me cringe thinking of now.

I was treated similarly to what you described. For my first transplant, he looked at my hair and drew a hairline within like two minutes. On the day of my second procedure, he looked at my hair and only planned on adding density to the first transplant, but I reminded him that we had discussed lowering the hairline as well. Then he lowered it a bit and quickly drew on some temple peaks and got me into the surgery room. 

Glad you didnt take the refund for your silence. 

I had my 1 year post op with him and he said my transplant looks good but wanted to do another FUT with 3000 grafts for "touch up" lol I used to really defend him on here and other sites but i got played so bad. Wont be going back to him. 

10 hours ago, FUT4000 said:

Glad you didnt take the refund for your silence. 

I had my 1 year post op with him and he said my transplant looks good but wanted to do another FUT with 3000 grafts for "touch up" lol I used to really defend him on here and other sites but i got played so bad. Wont be going back to him. 

He is quite the businessman. Would love to see your results if you're comfortable sharing them.