Bill 2068 Grafts with Dr. Hasson and Photos - 4th Hair Transplant

Reverse the Curse,

Yes, Dr. Hasson did use the trichophytic closure even on the third hair transplant. It's obvious there was some stretching however, I attribute that partly due to my own fault of removing the staples on day 10 when he suggested keeping them in at least 2 weeks. I did notice that within a few days after removing the staples that the scar appeared to have stretched a little.

Therefore, I'm going to do the best I can with keeping the staples in as long as possible this time around.

mmhce,

If all goes well, I won't need any grafts placed into the scar. Truthfully, I really wasn't concerned about my last scar since my hair camouflaged it pretty well. It only became very obvious when I shaved my head. Hopefully this procedure will yield a much better scar anway. I guess time will tell :-)

Franklin,

Thanks for your support. And I agree :-)

Bill

Day 6 photos has been added to my blog.

The scabs are pretty much gone thanks to Dr. Hasson's minimally invasive blades and my careful scab removal procedures in the shower.

The first two photos came out rather blurry. I've determined that my new 8.1 megapixel camera doesn't take photos as nicely as my 3.1 megapixel one - go figure. Thanks to Joe, he concluded it's probably because the optics are inferior on my new Kodac camera.

I may start taking photos with my old camera again.

Bill

Bill - the work looks ultra refined as expected, and i wish you the very best on your follicular restoration journey. Too bad i didn't win on the graft-guessing-game but i'm glad to know that you got more than i had predicted.

This should be the final one, right? Is there any donor left at all now? Do you have a few thousand left for FUE?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Thanks again guys. Of course, I'm still waiting for theEmperor to claim is $50 Amazon.com prize. I just sent him a private message to remind him :-).

I'm expecting the result to be tremendous, that is, combined with the results I already had. Of course, like all of you, all I can do is sit back and patiently wait for everything to grow in. I'm only at day 9 now, still with staples in my head and no shedding yet. I expect in a week or so, I'll start to lose my new friends. Hopefully, none of the old guys jump ship (in the donor area also), and I won't have to go through the doldrums. Here's for wishful thinking :-)

MiketheDane,

I thought the last one was going to be my final one, but due to hair greed, I opted for yet another surgery. I expect this to be the last one....for awhile, maybe forever, who knows :-).

lostandgone,

Since the wound is fresh and yet to heal and mature, I will give it the time it needs to heal before determining whether or not I want to try to improve it further. Unless it stretches badly, I have no intentions of adding grafts to the scar. In fact, if it stretches badly, I'd probably opt to get one more small strip procedure, harvest the old scar at one more attempt at a good closure and get some more hair in the process :-). FUE into the scar would be my last hope - only if it's needed.

hairthere,

It's tough to say how many grafts I have left at this point. I'll give you a better idea after the scar matures and some laxity returns :-)

Eman,

I'm trying, but between you and me (and obviously everyone reading this), I already sent to the gym and did very light weight and a lot of reps. I did this on day 7. Now I never recommend this to anyone necessarily, but I guess I have confidence in knowing how to take care of the wound while doing minor exercises properly without increasing risks of scar stretching. I also still have the staples in, which is somewhat of a barrier against causing the wound to stretch at this point :-).

I am smart enough however, to minimize my gym time and intensity significantly to ensure my investment heals properly :-).

Bill

Man, once again, the work looks *phenomenal*; really beautiful overhead shots in your latest update!!! You gotta be giddy looking at those babies (I know I'm already imagining your big growth update showing off a veritable lion's mane)! icon_smile.gif It will be sweet as you document your journey over the course of 09'.

Like you, I couldn't stay away from the gym, either -- day 7 and I started to ease my way back in action. I wonder if there are indeed some positive benefits of adopting relatively early -- but prudent -- exercise, by way of facilitating overall healing through better blood flow and general body functioning.

Btw, give TheEmp another 48hours or ship that prize to...I dunno....whoever....guessed the highest.... icon_razz.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Bill, so on average if there's 10k grafts available then you're probably close to being tapped out on strip. would you say that the majority of your native hair on top is gone and that the majority is ht hair? if that's the case then i'd say you are a great example of a complete "restoration." congrats!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanatopsis,

Yeah man, it's hard to stay away from the gym. I feel that at least by going and doing something, I'm at least not going to lose all my muscle. Besides, after going heavier for awhile, doing some nice light weight with a lot of reps is probably good for me. Of course, there are certain exercises I won't do since I know they'd strain the donor area. I'll just have to gradually work my way into those. :-)

hairthere,

I wouldn't say that there are 10,000 follicular units available on the average - more like 5000 to 7500. I'm lucky enough to be above average.

You're right though, I have no native hair left on top of my head. So anything on top is all transplanted :-).

I'm looking forward to seeing everything grown out - of course, like everyone else, I have to wait and go through the roller coaster ride.

Best wishes,

Bill

Looks fantastic, best of luck - and I think it is time for you to enjoy life with your new hair! Save your money for a new boat or something icon_smile.gif

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Bill-

Wow! Your shaved down head looks so clean and full. You are going to be very happy with the final result. Can't wait to see it in person. We will have to get together soon to do some catching up.

I know how hard it is to stay away from the gym. If I find myself missing a day or two at the gym I tend to get anxious. Take it easy in there, my reccomendation would be to increase the protein intake to keep muscle loss to a minimum and workout hard on the elipical for another week or two before doing any heavy weights. Give it some extra time to heal. Once you hit the weights heavy again you'll be back to where you were before you know it.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Sorry for the delayed response everyne. I appreciate everyone's encouragement.

So I've been back to the gym but am doing light weights.

I'm coming up on 3 weeks and so far, I've managed to keep the staples in. With each passing day now, I'm getting more and more used to them, ironically. Maybe I'll keep them in forever...ok, maybe not. :-P

I contacted "TheEmperor" privately via PM, got his information, and delivered his $50 gift certificate to Amazon.com for being closest to the number of grafts I recieved.

I still have a lot of numbness above the donor incision, but it's improved a lot. I see some signs of donor shock loss on one sign of my head. It's hard to tell with the recipient area at this point since my hair's still very short and growing in.

I'll take some pictures soon and update my blog :-).

All the best,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill, I hope everything is fine with your last HT,

Was just wondering how long you ended keeping the staples, and how does the scar look like?

I'm curious to know what your thoughts are about it... since it's rare to keep the staples that long, and it seems a good idea indeed (when there's a lot of tension due to multiple past strip surgeries).

But from your experience, do you think it could contribute to more shockloss in the donor area? Or prevent hair to grow properly around the scar?

Were the staples more difficult/painful to extract because the skin grew around them?

Did it create obvious train marks?

Finally, would you recommend it (in cases with a lot of tension in the donor zone, or in cases with a history of enlarged scar)?

And do you think keeping the staples even "longer" than a month would be beneficial?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks everyone for your support.

I'm a bit past 5 weeks post-op and healing very well. Shock loss in the donor and recipient area are minimal and I'm glad my hair is starting to grow back enough to consider going out without a hat again.

I ended up keeping the staples in about 3.5 weeks, just shy of a month. I'm happy with the way the scar is healing and I believe it's going to be thinner than it was last time. In order to attend to the scar, I've shaved down to a 1 clip on the sides and back again, though it's grown in a bit since then. I've also been applying Vitamin E lotion a few times daily. I'm still applying Aloe to the recipient area as needed to help alleviate itch.

Serious,

Keeping staples or sutures in longer can help minimize stretching since it supports the area longer. Even though most are fine to have them removed sooner, the tissue is still relatively fragile which is why doctors tell you to minimize certain activities for awhile after surgery, especially intense weight training or anything that might put extra tension on the healing tissue.

The staples weren't any more painful to remove than the previous time - in fact, they were a bit less painful. To this date, some of the staple marks remain, but are healing with time. I've been using Vitamin E lotion on the scar to facilitate healing.

Ultimately, I do believe that there are cases where keeping staples or suture in longer can be helpful, especially in scar repair cases.

I've heard of a case where a patient basicaly kept staples in (though I believe they were removed and new ones put in) for about 6 months. I believe if I recall, the scar turned out to be very thin.

Best wishes,

Bill

alwayswaiting,

I'll be taking some pictures soon. I am trying to find what you're talking about regarding the blogs being attacked by online pharmacies. Do you have an example of a blog? I'm not finding any.

Edit: Nevermind, I see it. I'm contacting our webmaster now. Apparently our blogs have been compromised. We'll get it fixed ASAP.

Thanks,

Bill