How is HLC for Asian Hair?

Hi all, after doing some research, I'm leaning towards getting a hair transplant with HLC in the near future. I've heard that hair transplants are different and harder to do for those of Asian descent though. Have any Asians here had a hair transplant at HLC and how did it go? Would you recommend it? 

• Administrators

Is there a particular reason you’re only looking at one clinic? 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 hours ago, random90 said:

Hi all, after doing some research, I'm leaning towards getting a hair transplant with HLC in the near future. I've heard that hair transplants are different and harder to do for those of Asian descent though. Have any Asians here had a hair transplant at HLC and how did it go? Would you recommend it? 

Generally speaking, you should like Melvin said be having a look around at various clinics and decide exactly what you want doing and approach those who show results that are solid in that area. 

Also, Caucasian and Asian hair aren't that far apart imo. The differences are minor enough that competent clinics usually can do both well. 

Afro style curly hair is usually the bigger challenge due to the way the follicles are within the scalp and the higher difficulty in extracting them. 

I've done a bit of research which may have not been too comprehensive, but my criteria for selecting HLC (or favoring them for now) would be the overall rating, before and after results that I've seen, price, and distance to travel. I'm based in NYC and the prices I'm seeing contrast to the results don't really seem worth it here. From reading the overall feedback at different clinics, it seems pretty hit or miss which I don't really want to take a chance on. 

Of course the only criteria that HLC wouldn't satisfy would be the distance to travel which I'd be willing to forgo for quality. 

Would there be other clinics that are better overall? Again, I haven't been too comprehensive in my research so I'm really all ears on this. Thanks. 

I'm new to the forum so not sure how to do direct replies yet, but @NARMAK, thanks for the advice. I've read that Asian hair is typically thinner than Caucasian hair making it more difficult to get dense hair transplants, or the same hair density results. Hoping that you're right and the differences are minor though. 

10 minutes ago, random90 said:

I'm new to the forum so not sure how to do direct replies yet, but @NARMAK, thanks for the advice. I've read that Asian hair is typically thinner than Caucasian hair making it more difficult to get dense hair transplants, or the same hair density results. Hoping that you're right and the differences are minor though. 

Asian hair is actually usually quite a bit thicker or coarser than caucasian hair is in terms of its individual characteristics. By that, I mean each hair strand itself is usually a lot thicker in diameter than caucasian hair is; it's usually very straight and thick. 

Caucasian hair usually has a higher density though, so whilst it might be thinner in diameter in more cases than not when compared to Asians, there is usually more of it on the head and thus the overall donor supply is greater (but this is obviously balanced out to a large degree by the fact that you will get more coverage with less grafts if the hair itself is thicker). 

These are all generalisations though, and white people from places like Spain and Italy will usually have pretty thick hair and good density along with it. Similarly, I believe people from SEA Asia usually have thicker hair than people from other places in Asia, so it also varies within its own sort of ethnic group just like it does with say Northern vs Southern Europeans.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, random90 said:

In terms of hair calibre, Caucasian hair is seen as finer and generally more dense than Asian hair, but i think my comment is more in terms of the differences not being enough to say cause issues in a clinic that's competent being able to cater and adjust. 

3 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Asian hair is actually usually quite a bit thicker or coarser than caucasian hair is in terms of its individual characteristics. By that, I mean each hair strand itself is usually a lot thicker in diameter than caucasian hair is; it's usually very straight and thick. 

Caucasian hair usually has a higher density though, so whilst it might be thinner in diameter in more cases than not when compared to Asians, there is usually more of it on the head and thus the overall donor supply is greater (but this is obviously balanced out to a large degree by the fact that you will get more coverage with less grafts if the hair itself is thicker). 

These are all generalisations though, and white people from places like Spain and Italy will usually have pretty thick hair and good density along with it. Similarly, I believe people from SEA Asia usually have thicker hair than people from other places in Asia, so it also varies within its own sort of ethnic group just like it does with say Northern vs Southern Europeans.

I think overall you may be right. Personally i think the difference in hair thickness and density are there but to adjust from a HT point of view shouldn't be complicated. It's more a case of adjusting density say vs the difference between curly hair which is much more difficult to extract and risks of transection become greater. 

I think tbh, hair between Asians and Caucasians from the examples i personally have seen in person are much closer than the difference to curly afro hair. 

I know in Asians, dark hair is usually much more common whereas in Caucasians this varies a fair bit more. However, East Asians for example have a hair contrast to skin contrast that's usually say greater than South Asia which can include India, Pakistan etc. where there's usually a lesser hair to skin contrast. 

Either way, a competent clinics going to need to adapt and make sure the results are gained. 

• Like 1

I would agree with the others... Asian hair is not so much as a consideration as afro hair would be. Afro hair curls under the skin so extra skill is needed to extract without damaging it.

That said, I would say that Asian hair is closer to Hispanic hair, like mine. Especially around the sides and back of my head, the hair doesn't really lay down very well. 

I don't know of any photos or videos of Asian patients from HLC. But there are some Hispanic cases. You'd see many more with the Spanish doctors, like Cuoto, De Freitas, Lorenzo, etc., of course. 

920716095_Screenshot2022-01-03094920.jpg.c3d89bb0d7a4452823e04f3b24f70467.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 8:58 PM, JDEE0 said:

wow, this is really great analysis. after doing some research it looks like this checks out. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:08 PM, NARMAK said:

In terms of hair calibre, Caucasian hair is seen as finer and generally more dense than Asian hair, but i think my comment is more in terms of the differences not being enough to say cause issues in a clinic that's competent being able to cater and adjust. 

I think overall you may be right. Personally i think the difference in hair thickness and density are there but to adjust from a HT point of view shouldn't be complicated. It's more a case of adjusting density say vs the difference between curly hair which is much more difficult to extract and risks of transection become greater. 

I think tbh, hair between Asians and Caucasians from the examples i personally have seen in person are much closer than the difference to curly afro hair. 

I know in Asians, dark hair is usually much more common whereas in Caucasians this varies a fair bit more. However, East Asians for example have a hair contrast to skin contrast that's usually say greater than South Asia which can include India, Pakistan etc. where there's usually a lesser hair to skin contrast. 

Either way, a competent clinics going to need to adapt and make sure the results are gained. 

yeah, it looks like the risk of transection is greater among Asians since the hair follicles are longer

On 2/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, Gatsby said:

I would recommend Dr Diep or Dr Kong in BKK in Thailand.

did some brief research on this. do you mean Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong? his work looks pretty amazing and I might consider using this clinic after some more research. thanks for the info! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, random90 said:

yeah, it looks like the risk of transection is greater among Asians since the hair follicles are longer

Any competent clinic should be able to do a test run on a single follicle here and there in the donor area to get a gauge of depth and be able to account for that in their extraction process.