Thinking of getting a transplant this year

2 minutes ago, Inch6 said:

When I had this amount of hair I thought I were a full head and transplant never crossed My mind.

Yea it’s pretty full everywhere else crown and mid scalp just sucks that the hairline has a receded look doesn’t frame my face very well and even with micro needling and rogaine and finasteride I haven’t been able to gain any ground back well hopefully in the next 5 years something comes out that can regrow hair where you use it lol

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Yea it’s pretty full everywhere else crown and mid scalp just sucks that the hairline has a receded look doesn’t frame my face very well and even with micro needling and rogaine and finasteride I haven’t been able to gain any ground back well hopefully in the next 5 years something comes out that can regrow hair where you use it lol

Why don’t you wear a fringe hairstyle, all of the gen z kids are wearing that hairstyle anyway, it’s in style. When I was your age it was the faux hawk, it helped me cover my recession for many years. 
image.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

You have to understand that relatively speaking, your hair loss is at the baby stages if anything in your early 20s unless incredibly aggressive and there's no guarantee even if you committed to taking Finasteride for life, that your hair loss can’t accelerate in that time. 

It's better to be on the medication and wait till at least 25 imo and save up. Do your research and see how things progress. Generally as a Norwood 2, hair styling can be used to mask most of the hair loss imo as i do that myself in certain ways. 

Also, graft counts are not a great indication because not all grafts are equal. For example, you could have double hair grafts taken and cut down into singles and now 1 graft just became 2 grafts. Inversely a single graft could be a double and triple and used to bulk out a frontal hairline. 

So it's not always as straightforward as raw numbers and graft counts. 

I would say beginning Finasteride is the first and most important step. Next is hair transplant education and finding the right clinics whilst you save up. Last and also as important is setting realistic expectations. 

Look, i've been where you are and in some ways still am. We see these perfect manipulated images from social media etc. and we feel like we can give ourselves a slice of that sometimes with a quick fix. Reality unfortunately isn't as simple. 

Thanks for the advice I’ve been on finasteride for nearly a year now btw and I micro needle and put minoxidil on the hairline but like one user previously said that hair that’s left seems to be the last remnants of the hairline I used to have 

Just now, Melvin- Moderator said:

Why don’t you wear a fringe, all of the gen z kids are wearing that hairstyle anyway, it’s in style. When I was your age it was the faux hawk, it helped me cover my recession for many years. 

Not a fan of the fringe lol but the faux hawk is actually what I used to do when I had a little more hair on the hairline to be able to line up do u happen to have a picture of how you looked with that hair style thanks! 

D5798586-0379-4292-A163-9C58D4A71094.jpeg

How my hairline looks in that picture is how I would like it to be again maybe a bit thicker and more defined it frames everything better but alas it’s too early now I’ve only been on finasteride a year so like may people said it could get worse thanks for all the advice! 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Not a fan of the fringe lol but the faux hawk is actually what I used to do when I had a little more hair on the hairline to be able to line up do u happen to have a picture of how you looked with that hair style thanks! 

D5798586-0379-4292-A163-9C58D4A71094.jpeg

That was so long ago, I'd have to go digging through old emails from like 2007 lol. I don't understand the appeal of the fringe either, its hideous, but kids your age love it, so at least it's popular and covers your baldness. I wasn't a big fan of the faux hawk either, people would call it the teletubby hair cut. Every generation has one of those hairstyles. It might grow on you, it would save you from having to do anything about your hair loss for many years.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That was so long ago, I'd have to go digging through old emails from like 2007 lol. I don't understand the appeal of the fringe either, its hideous, but kids your age love it, so at least it's popular and covers your baldness. I wasn't a big fan of the faux hawk either, people would call it the teletubby hair cut. Every generation has one of those hairstyles. It might grow on you, it would save you from having to do anything about your hair loss for many years.

Yea I hate the tiktoker fringe style haha and as someone who can tell if someone’s balding it’s usually guys who are hiding something or have a giant forehead lol I’ve always been a fan more of David Beckham hairstyles lately right now like the texture hair on top and fade on the sides I use a tiny bit of fibers lightly and it works for now but yea I think it’s best to wait a few years on finasteride to be a better candidate I think I have good donor too here’s what I mean your not fooling anyone lol at least not here 

CC49B06F-D941-40D3-A675-1EC11C5F871D.jpeg

BA624467-7662-450D-9723-FD207F093734.jpeg

• Administrators

You’re simply too young. I laid out some reasons why here

But here I made a video giving myself as an example as to why it’s a bad idea

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You’re simply too young. I laid out some reasons why here

But here I made a video giving myself as an example as to why it’s a bad idea

Thanks yea if I was gonna do it i would of course want it to look natural make sense for the face and such, but I will continue the microneedling and rogaine and who knows maybe it might grow back when I started fin i had more hair on the temples but as you can see the hairs have miniaturized to baby hair that are only barely visible if I can somehow revive them using those methods I can put off a hair transplant or not even get one at all 

1 hour ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Does anyone know of any success thread of people being able to grow back their temples from a Norwood 2? I’ve had trouble finding anything on the forum?

never happening bro.....it sounds like you are still hung up on the ht.....honestly if its on your mind this much its a sign you should do it....and if you do it might be great but just know you might be right back for another one in the next year to 5 catching up....its all up to you

16 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

never happening bro.....it sounds like you are still hung up on the ht.....honestly if its on your mind this much its a sign you should do it....and if you do it might be great but just know you might be right back for another one in the next year to 5 catching up....its all up to you

Yea I get understand the catch up part because let’s say I transplant the temples and it looks great but something else starts falling out because finasteride stops working which is why I should continue finasteride and see if it stabilizes first as it’s only been a year on it but like u said it’s not likely coming back unfortunately since the temples are notoriously hard to regrow 

2 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Does anyone know of any success thread of people being able to grow back their temples from a Norwood 2? I’ve had trouble finding anything on the forum?

Regrowth is the hardest bit of hair restoration. To even have a chance, it would take a combination of Finasteride/Dutasteride, Minoxodil and Microneedling with some Ketoconazole shampoo thrown in and maybe if you really wanted to go a bit more hardcore, some of the other research type chemicals but i personally would only recommend the first 4 as an official regime without a Russian Roulette element for batches that could be duds. 

Honestly, save up and do your research on what places you like the results of and would consider for a hair transplant. You can take Finasteride and keep an eye on your hair loss to see if it's stopped. 

I'd say most reputable places would be as conservative as possible generally and at 25 probably want to keep it higher. Believe it or not, hitting 30 might just seem like a difference of "only" 5 years later but if you can show hair loss has stabilised and stayed the same, it puts you in a stronger position to request keeping a lower hairline. 

That said, nobody at Norwood 2 usually can request dropping their hairline to like 4-5cm from the glabella even if it starts at like 6-7cm. It all tends to also rest heavily on your frontalis muscles. 

7 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Regrowth is the hardest bit of hair restoration. To even have a chance, it would take a combination of Finasteride/Dutasteride, Minoxodil and Microneedling with some Ketoconazole shampoo thrown in and maybe if you really wanted to go a bit more hardcore, some of the other research type chemicals but i personally would only recommend the first 4 as an official regime without a Russian Roulette element for batches that could be duds. 

Honestly, save up and do your research on what places you like the results of and would consider for a hair transplant. You can take Finasteride and keep an eye on your hair loss to see if it's stopped. 

I'd say most reputable places would be as conservative as possible generally and at 25 probably want to keep it higher. Believe it or not, hitting 30 might just seem like a difference of "only" 5 years later but if you can show hair loss has stabilised and stayed the same, it puts you in a stronger position to request keeping a lower hairline. 

That said, nobody at Norwood 2 usually can request dropping their hairline to like 4-5cm from the glabella even if it starts at like 6-7cm. It all tends to also rest heavily on your frontalis muscles. 

Thanks will try adding the nizoral to my regime, my goal was to get it about the level where my center part of my hairline and have it slightly elevated at the temples but will try my luck at getting regrowth threw the methods above 

6 minutes ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Thanks will try adding the nizoral to my regime, my goal was to get it about the level where my center part of my hairline and have it slightly elevated at the temples but will try my luck at getting regrowth threw the methods above 

If you do end up trying Nizoral, keep an eye out if it dries your hair out too much and leave it on long enough only a few times a week. 

Microneedling is probably great but might be worth you investing in a derma pen. I need to go look at and buy one. It's probably more reliable than the derma rollers imo. 

1-1.5mm once a week should be perfect. I think i can try it around my temporal areas and hoping i can also get some boost there and in the crown area. 

40 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

If you do end up trying Nizoral, keep an eye out if it dries your hair out too much and leave it on long enough only a few times a week. 

Microneedling is probably great but might be worth you investing in a derma pen. I need to go look at and buy one. It's probably more reliable than the derma rollers imo. 

1-1.5mm once a week should be perfect. I think i can try it around my temporal areas and hoping i can also get some boost there and in the crown area. 

Agreed I have a 1.5 roller but I think the pen would produce better results if any at all 

• 2 weeks later...

I experimented with fibers today as a way to kinda showcase where I would want my hairline to be at normally I don’t use fibers there since it looks very obvious but I did just as a way to see how it would frame the face if I had my hairline at that point and I like how it looks here I don’t know if what I drew before was more aggressive or not 

340FAFF9-E7A2-4414-A72E-1DFC60D13DA4.jpeg

476CCF36-68D4-49EC-9A05-08E1DAF37463.jpeg

• Administrators

It's much better to stick with fibers for now, and then down the line get a hair transplant.

• Like 1

View my thread

11 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It's much better to stick with fibers for now, and then down the line get a hair transplant.

Agree. I am in early 40s. And only now booked for HT, used hair fibers for years till they no longer worked. 

46 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yea I agree no one could tell anyways but I eventually want a more permanent solution but basically how those pictures are is how I want my hairline to be shaped like so I it gave me a good idea of how much of a difference it is 

Well, as you know hair loss is progressive, if you use grafts unwisely you will not have enough when it gets worse with aging. Thus, It is best to use fibers, medical treatment, till the wheels fall off-)) and only then plan HT