Hair transplant without taking finasteride or minoxidil

Hi all, I'm considering having a hair transplant however I am very against taking any medication. The reason is I have always been hypersensitive to any medication. I have previously attempted taking both however experienced side effects in both cases after around 3 months of use. I even tried a very low dose which did not help.

The clinic has advised I am a Norwood 2 and would require 2200-2400 grafts to my hairline/front scalp. My hairline has receded however I have no hair loss in the mid-scalp or crown which is thick hair. I have photos from 7+ years ago and my hair loss has been extremely minimal/slow during this time. I believe I lost a significant amount of hair from the hairline/frontal scalp in a short period following a very emotionally traumatic event around 8-9 years ago.

I understand hair loss is typically very aggressive in your 20s and 30s, 30s and 40s slows down, and 40s onward starts to stabilize. I'm 36 so not far off 40 and with the slow progression of my hair loss I'm wondering if you would still go ahead with a transplant? I have honestly been reading forums for 10+years so it is not an impulsive decision, I just feel given my age and the fact that I can afford the time and money atm it is worth going ahead. Has anyone here had a hair transplant however does not take any form of medication?

Thanks

• Administrators

36 and you're a Norwood 2, are you sure you aren't diffuse? What's your family history, father, brother, grandfathers, uncles, etc?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Finasteride is a medication that helps prevent ongoing hair loss in male pattern baldness. For individuals who undergo hair transplant surgery and continue to lose hair, they should consider Finasteride as a medication to stabilise their rate of hair loss. This will also help preserve a hair transplant result for longer.

I have begun finasteride solely after my medical procedure and after 2.5 years I firmly accept that my ongoing progression has been stabilized at this point.

• Like 1

Can you post some pictures? Judging by your grafts count you are between a NW2-NW3. Hair loss is a progressive disease though. It will not stop at age 40.  But I will come back to your original question when seeing the pics. I did visit several reputable Drs for a HT a couple years ago and I was in a similar situation than you. (NW2, 39 years, 1600 Grafts, no medication). 

Edited by Mike10

Thanks for the feedback, I also thought  2400 grafts was a fair amount.

I'm 100% sure I don't have diffused thinning, my hair is very thick in other regions.

I'd prefer not to share photos publicly but can send them privately 

Family hair loss is very mixed so hard to predict. For example, I have two older brothers (37 and 40). My 37-year-old brother started balding at a much early age, has always had much more significant hair loss, and is NW5-6 and has been this way for 6+ years. My other brother has diffused thinning all over however again very different, no receding hairline. He also has very different hair (curly/blond-brown). My dad has receded however still has more hair than my brothers, probably around a 3a with receding however no vertex balding. I believe my hair is most closely related to my grandfather on my mum's side... people including my mum have always said I look extremely similar to him.. we have the same hair (black-brown, thick) as well. He has been gone for 15+ years now and memory is limited with no photos but I recall he still had a fair amount of hair at 80+ and was definitely not fully bald. All my uncles on my mum's side still had a full head of hair at 60+.

6 hours ago, Mike10 said:

I did visit several reputable Drs for a HT a couple years ago and I was in a similar situation than you. (NW2, 39 years, 1600 Grafts, no medication). - What did you decide? Did you go ahead?

You can proceed with undergoing hair transplant surgery without taking hair loss medication such as finasteride and minoxidil however, it just becomes a bit more complicated if you are still experiencing ongoing hair loss.

For instance, if it has not been stabilized, either because it naturally stops or due to medication, you’re going to have to plan for future loss and not just focus on what you’re doing in a single procedure based on your existing loss.

In other words, you’ll have to do what’s best long-term rather than for immediate gratification. This might mean sacrificing a more youthful looking hairline for more coverage in an area that’s going to be much thinner in a couple years due to the progression of male pattern baldness.

Now I know you said you’re uncomfortable posting photos. However, if you crop them so your face isn’t shown or blur the part of the picture that shows your face, your identity would be protected and yet, we’d be able to give you more specific and better advice.

You’re more than welcome also to send me some of your photos privately and I can give you more specific input that way if you would prefer to keep any of your photos off of the forum.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

The above hit the nail on the head and summed it up beautifully. 

As long as you walk into that hair transplant knowing the risk you're assuming and how to deal with it should you lose more hair, then as long as all the other things are in place. Go for it 

@bbtrojans: I did not because I did not feel comfortable at the time. IMO, there was no need to rush into surgery anyway. Now, I am 40 years old, on PRP since several years and hair is stable. I just have corner recession and hair is strong in other areas. I do feel like I am in stronger position than some younger guy at 28 with more aggressive hair loss who is on Fin, if that makes sense.  HT will be conservative and I expect further surgery at some point down the line. 

I would say you need to be comfortable with your decision. My advice would be to wait a few more years and try alternative therapy like Laser Cap or PRP. And get green light from a reputable Dr. 

15 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

@Mike10 thanks man... I'm kind of comfortable with where I am at, at 36 I feel I'm not spring chicken and past the most aggressive stage... I'm more than happy to do alternative therapies as well such as PRP post HT, I feel PRP has a lot of promise

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

The above hit the nail on the head and summed it up beautifully. 

As long as you walk into that hair transplant knowing the risk you're assuming and how to deal with it should you lose more hair, then as long as all the other things are in place. Go for it 

Yep good call thank you

you do not need it to undergo a HT, does it hurt your outcome ? who knows, as there are many factors involved like doctor skill, tech skill, quality of hair, GENETICS, etc...does it help ? sure , it might help...plenty members here have done it with out meds, myself included. good luck