What do you guys think of this hairline I had done yesterday?

londonla

So I had my procedure yesterday. To give some context I am a Norwood 5/5A, started microneedling and fin a couple months ago. I had some growth on the hairline but it was very thin and whispy hair - the dermatologist I was seeing said it would grow into thicker hair over time.. When I talked to most clinics they recommended two procedures - one for the hairline/mid scalp/outer crown and then one for the inner crown a year later. The plan was Fin and Min would recover a fair bit of hair in the inner crown so less grafts would be needed and it would give time for the donor area to recover. 

The original plan was for the Doctor to go to the bottom of this new hairline which is at the white line in the photo - you can see the little white circles are the hairs already growing back. 

However he decided instead to go a bit higher with a zigzag pattern. This is as he thinks the implanted hair will blend into the existing hair (white circles) and thus make it look much more natural. If that doesn't work out - if the hair in the white circles doesn't grow out properly - then he would do the hairline properly during the second procedure. 

Tbh I agreed with it at the time as it made sense but looking for second opinions now - what do you guys think of such a strategy? Makes sense or too conservative? 

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-08 at 18.37.11.jpeg

• Administrators

Not sure I’m a fan of the macro irregularity, but it may look good grown out, only time will tell.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Some grafts are planted next to each other, some grafts are planted way too far.  I really don't like those empty gaps :(  When this grows out it might look very very plugged and ''see-through ''

I know its cruel to give you this judgement, but looks similar to what I had done from Istanbul in 2017! I only speak from experience.  

Regarding the hairline, I do see the point of this zig zag style. Its like they are trying to hard to make it natural or something? All they had to do was follow the line, it is already drawn in a conservative way, so they just had to focus on giving you soft singular grafts for the first 2 rows. 

Anyway, I wish you happy growth,  please give us monthly updates :) 

Edited by Ryan Daniel

29 minutes ago, Ryan Daniel said:

Some grafts are planted next to each other, some grafts are planted way too far.  I really don't like those empty gaps :(  When this grows out it might look very very plugged and ''see-through ''

I know its cruel to give you this judgement, but looks similar to what I had done from Istanbul in 2017! I only speak from experience.  

Regarding the hairline, I do see the point of this zig zag style. Its like they are trying to hard to make it natural or something? All they had to do was follow the line, it is already drawn in a conservative way, so they just had to focus on giving you soft singular grafts for the first 2 rows. 

Anyway, I wish you happy growth,  please give us monthly updates :) 

Do you mean the bits in the mid scalp? The mid scalp was the only part of my upper head that still had decent amounts of hair in it tbh so I can see why they'd do it there. 

Thanks will do so. 

1 hour ago, londonla said:

Do you mean the bits in the mid scalp? The mid scalp was the only part of my upper head that still had decent amounts of hair in it tbh so I can see why they'd do it there. 

Thanks will do so. 

Any before pictures before the procedure please?

5 hours ago, londonla said:

So I had my procedure yesterday. To give some context I am a Norwood 5/5A, started microneedling and fin a couple months ago. I had some growth on the hairline but it was very thin and whispy hair - the dermatologist I was seeing said it would grow into thicker hair over time.. When I talked to most clinics they recommended two procedures - one for the hairline/mid scalp/outer crown and then one for the inner crown a year later. The plan was Fin and Min would recover a fair bit of hair in the inner crown so less grafts would be needed and it would give time for the donor area to recover. 

The original plan was for the Doctor to go to the bottom of this new hairline which is at the white line in the photo - you can see the little white circles are the hairs already growing back. 

However he decided instead to go a bit higher with a zigzag pattern. This is as he thinks the implanted hair will blend into the existing hair (white circles) and thus make it look much more natural. If that doesn't work out - if the hair in the white circles doesn't grow out properly - then he would do the hairline properly during the second procedure. 

Tbh I agreed with it at the time as it made sense but looking for second opinions now - what do you guys think of such a strategy? Makes sense or too conservative? 

thats way too spread out to look good

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

The "zig-zag pattern" which I have colored in blue seems odd to me. I think this will look a bit odd. 

The good news is you are already anticipating a 2nd surgery so this can be taken care of. 

Maybe consult with other docs and get their opinion. 

Zig Zag.png

Yh so basically the bottom white line is where my original hairline is. The doctor asked if I'm happy to see if fin/min and micro needling will strengthen this area within the next 9-12 months. Idea being if it does get stronger he can then reinforce it with a few graphs rather then the extra 1000 he estimated hed need to cover that area, therefore taking that away from the mid and crown area. 

So if it does get strengthened over the next few months - great, just straighten out where needed and I'm sorted, if not I guess we'll deal with it as it comes. It seemed to make sense to me at the time but I posted it elsewhere this morning and people were really adamant it was a bad idea, ofc none of them are doctors so yh. 

35 minutes ago, mmokin said:

thats way too spread out to look good

Hmmm so I dont have the post op report yet, will post the numbers when I get them but I seem to remember it was getting pretty close to 40 hairs per square cm which I think was pretty good. Will update when I have the actual report though. 

23 minutes ago, londonla said:

Hmmm so I dont have the post op report yet, will post the numbers when I get them but I seem to remember it was getting pretty close to 40 hairs per square cm which I think was pretty good. Will update when I have the actual report though. 

from the picture it looks like 10-20 grafts per cm but could be zoomed in a lot we will see the outcome in 6 months so im hoping it works out

Not enough density by a long shot. Tough to know if the drastic irregularity will work for you. I do agree though, regardless of the outcome, it will absolutely be fixable. Just don't make the mistake of going back to the same clinic for a "make good" session if things don't work out well for you. Your donor is precious and can only get you through so many procedures before it's depleted. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, londonla said:

Your doc was for sure a fan of Justin Timberlake lol 

4 hours ago, MazAB said:

Not enough density by a long shot. Tough to know if the drastic irregularity will work for you. I do agree though, regardless of the outcome, it will absolutely be fixable. Just don't make the mistake of going back to the same clinic for a "make good" session if things don't work out well for you. Your donor is precious and can only get you through so many procedures before it's depleted. 

the clinic has another doctor. Obviously im hoping it all works out fine but i could maybe go to the other doctor if it isnt good enough

7 hours ago, londonla said:

the clinic has another doctor. Obviously im hoping it all works out fine but i could maybe go to the other doctor if it isnt good enough

Avoid the clinic entirely. The odds of them having one terrible doctor and one great one are near zero. 

The photo quality is not very good, hard to see where your original hairline is and how dense it is. 

It sounds like the new grafts are behind your native hair, so the zigzag pattern won't be obvious. That makes me question why do that pattern at all if it's going to be hidden. I agree with the others that the density isn't very high. It will be an improvement but you will want to add more in the future.

I also agree not to go back to that clinic. The pattern and density are red flags. This isn't the work of a quality doctor (or technician). You have a long way to go but in 9 months or so, look at the forum recommendations for more quality work

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN

Best of luck!

11 hours ago, MachoVato said:

The photo quality is not very good, hard to see where your original hairline is and how dense it is. 

It sounds like the new grafts are behind your native hair, so the zigzag pattern won't be obvious. That makes me question why do that pattern at all if it's going to be hidden. I agree with the others that the density isn't very high. It will be an improvement but you will want to add more in the future.

I also agree not to go back to that clinic. The pattern and density are red flags. This isn't the work of a quality doctor (or technician). You have a long way to go but in 9 months or so, look at the forum recommendations for more quality work

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN

Best of luck!

To be honest the doctor I went to see comes highly recommended on here and elsewhere online. Won't be saying his name as had a conversation with him earlier after the negative feedback I received here and he managed to placate most of my fears and the concerns people raised here.

I also cant really do anything about it for at least another 6-9 months in terms of getting another procedure so the only thing to do really is wait it out, stick to fin/min and see how it turns out. If it does turn out as bad as people think it will then its a different story but for now I'm just waiting and seeing really. 

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, londonla said:

To be honest the doctor I went to see comes highly recommended on here and elsewhere online. Won't be saying his name as had a conversation with him earlier after the negative feedback I received here and he managed to placate most of my fears and the concerns people raised here.

I also cant really do anything about it for at least another 6-9 months in terms of getting another procedure so the only thing to do really is wait it out, stick to fin/min and see how it turns out. If it does turn out as bad as people think it will then its a different story but for now I'm just waiting and seeing really. 

It's always difficult to say without knowing the full story. If you have a thinning hairline then less density is better, if you have a completely bald hairline, obviously you'll need more density. It's impossible for us to say without seeing your hairline before, glad you got some peace of mind after speaking with the surgeon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.