Am I a good candidate for hair rest. surgery or is this just a “mature” hairline?

Hey all, 

I’m 32, male, mixed family history of baldness. My hairline is never something I’ve been very proud of and even back in high school it was less than stellar. I think it may have receded somewhat over the years but most men’s hairlines do. It seems to be relatively stable where it’s at, I’ve been on fin for about 4.5 months with no negative side effects. I would like to have a lower hairline but I’ve read that it’s not always a good idea if you’re exhibiting type 1 hair loss. What are your opinions? Should I consider surgery?

97820F38-C8C7-4C14-8D3E-9B19F8410C00.jpeg

0CD01C44-F14B-493D-B2B1-23B9C7A26A8F.jpeg

B348784C-A28E-4BF9-BD13-F07F48E099D6.jpeg

there is no such thing as a "mature hairline". When people erroneously refer to mature hairlines, they are really indicating that they have minor recession (Norwood 1.5-Norwood 2), that has stabilized and has not seen any further hairloss for a few years. 

This is definitely MPB my friend. Looks like you are a NW 2, maybe even a slight NW 3. 

I would disagree on the NW classification. That is not NW3 , somebody like Daniel Craig is a solid NW3-  I also strongly  disagree on the need for Fin. I only see some slight recession.  At most, I would suggest some lighter therapy like PRP, laser or Minox. Do n ot consider surgery at this point. I hope this helps you going forward. 

Edited by Mike10

23 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

slight recession....NW 1.5 maybe 2...quick touch up would restore it. 

What do you mean by a quick touch up in the context of hair restoration? Seems like the procedure and recovery time is relatively comparable regardless of how advanced your baldness is (within reason) but I’m kinda new here so I’m open to being educated. 

4 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

I would disagree on the NW classification. I also disagree on the need for Fin. I only see some very slight recession.  At most, I would suggest some lighter therapy like PRP, laser or Minox. I ope this helps you going forward. 

My main goal is to “lower” and flatten the hairline. My impression was that topicals and laser could thicken your hair a bit but that’s about it. Am I wrong about that?

If your goal is to lower your hairline, then go for it. Fin and/or minox is not going to do much other than stabilize and thicken what you already have. I don’t see why people would say it’s not a good idea to lower the hairline if you have type 1 hair loss. I’d think you’d be more lucky because if you had a more advanced hair loss pattern, you might not have as much flexibility in lowering the hairline if you want enough grafts to restore your whole head.

I’d suggest setting up some consultations with surgeons. There’s good doctors out there who’d be able to give you a lower hairline while making it look natural.

33 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

If your goal is to lower your hairline, then go for it. Fin and/or minox is not going to do much other than stabilize and thicken what you already have. I don’t see why people would say it’s not a good idea to lower the hairline if you have type 1 hair loss. I’d think you’d be more lucky because if you had a more advanced hair loss pattern, you might not have as much flexibility in lowering the hairline if you want enough grafts to restore your whole head.

I’d suggest setting up some consultations with surgeons. There’s good doctors out there who’d be able to give you a lower hairline while making it look natural.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. Since I’m already on fin it should be stable at least and maybe surgery can provide a more balanced appearance? Still open to more opinions 

1 hour ago, Vs7855 said:

What do you mean by a quick touch up in the context of hair restoration? Seems like the procedure and recovery time is relatively comparable regardless of how advanced your baldness is (within reason) but I’m kinda new here so I’m open to being educated. 

meaning its probably somewhere between 1.5k-2k grafts to rebuild the frontal band nothing crazy like a 4K mega session , if you really want it go for it, you would likely get good results, as far as fin- its a choice you might get sides you might not

9 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

meaning its probably somewhere between 1.5k-2k grafts to rebuild the frontal band nothing crazy like a 4K mega session , if you really want it go for it, you would likely get good results, as far as fin- its a choice you might get sides you might not

I was very worried about fin sides but took the plunge a few months ago. Zero sides thus far.

Here’s a question that’s likely to make me look stupid: If my case can be treated with a small to moderate number of grafts, will it be possible to keep most of my current hair long to cosmetically cover the grafted areas during healing? I work in the medical field and am face to face with patients every day and can’t take much time off, so I don’t want to shock people too much or look stupid. 

NW3. 

You could have a HT for sure, 1500 to 2000 grafts tops, FUE.

I would not go crazy with the hairline but aim for a lower and more solid NW2-3 shape.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 minutes ago, Vs7855 said:

Here’s a question that’s likely to make me look stupid: If my case can be treated with a small to moderate number of grafts, will it be possible to keep most of my current hair long to cosmetically cover the grafted areas during healing? I work in the medical field and am face to face with patients every day and can’t take much time off, so I don’t want to shock people too much or look stupid. 

Not stupid at all.

That would be easiest with FUT/strip.  With FUE you would have to shave the back and the sides, but could still keep the hair on top long.

Check out Elon Musk's recent weird (post HT?) haircut - something like that.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

36 minutes ago, Vs7855 said:

I was very worried about fin sides but took the plunge a few months ago. Zero sides thus far.

keep monitoring...and its all up to the Dr....some will allow it others will want you to get a buzzcut....maybe ask if they can do a partial shave, i had one and looking back I would have shaved it just cause the first couple of days it became a hassle but yes it definitely helps hide specially when you get to months 2.5+ 

2 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

keep monitoring...and its all up to the Dr....some will allow it others will want you to get a buzzcut....maybe ask if they can do a partial shave, i had one and looking back I would have shaved it just cause the first couple of days it became a hassle but yes it definitely helps hide specially when you get to months 2.5+ 

I've had 2 no shave procedures myself. 

If OP is working closely face to face with patients, it will still totally be obvious something has been done. 

@Vs7855 is it ok to let your work know you are getting a hair transplant? who cares if the people you work with know as well. It's 2022. There is no stigma to hair transplants. 

I had to announce my own surgery to my whole work team and it was not awkward at all. If anything people associate hair transplants with having $$$ in the bank and you will come across as being bougie.

11 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

I've had 2 no shave procedures myself. 

If OP is working closely face to face with patients, it will still totally be obvious something has been done. 

@Vs7855 is it ok to let your work know you are getting a hair transplant? who cares if the people you work with know as well. It's 2022. There is no stigma to hair transplants. 

I had to announce my own surgery to my whole work team and it was not awkward at all. If anything people associate hair transplants with having $$$ in the bank and you will come across as being bougie.

I own the practice so that’s not the issue I’d honestly just be a bit embarrassed to have it be obvious that I had a cosmetic procedure done, but that’s a whole different discussion haha. 

• Like 1

You look like you have a naturally higher set hairline. To lower it down can take up a decent chunk of grafts depending on how much you try to lower, and when you get older if there's more loss, then you do have to prioritise whether you're fine just keeping the frontal hairline and potentially be bald in the crown area. You could try what most have started which is to restore the crown with the beard grafts if suitable. 

Personally i would take a tape measure, and draw a lower hairline at where you think you'd like them and see roughly where the line ends up. Then estimate grafts using a rough 45cm/2 estimate to be conservative. 

9 minutes ago, Vs7855 said:

I own the practice so that’s not the issue I’d honestly just be a bit embarrassed to have it be obvious that I had a cosmetic procedure done, but that’s a whole different discussion haha. 

hmmmmm idk what to tell you - doctors and other medical professionals are human and get cosmetic surgery too! lol. Maybe you can wear a hat or something. 

1 hour ago, Vs7855 said:

How much time would you be able to take off? It depends on your clinic but you would probably at least have to shave the back of your head where they'd be takings the grafts if you do FUE. They'd probably shave off a bit of your hairline region as well, but not completely. This guy had an FUE done but he was able to cover up the recipient area by keeping his hair long.

26 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

How much time would you be able to take off? It depends on your clinic but you would probably at least have to shave the back of your head where they'd be takings the grafts if you do FUE. They'd probably shave off a bit of your hairline region as well, but not completely. This guy had an FUE done but he was able to cover up the recipient area by keeping his hair long.

I've watched that video and he definitely looks like he chose to ignore some advice, going for a design where it's not got the micro irregularities it should have to look more natural. 

There's nothing wrong with having a more lower and flat hairline. In fact, that's what i've seen drawn for mine on the side profile, but you need the micro irregularities to keep it looking as natural as possible

7 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I've watched that video and he definitely looks like he chose to ignore some advice, going for a design where it's not got the micro irregularities it should have to look more natural. 

There's nothing wrong with having a more lower and flat hairline. In fact, that's what i've seen drawn for mine on the side profile, but you need the micro irregularities to keep it looking as natural as possible

Gregory Gage's hairline is way too flat as well. Seems to be as flat as it can be

When I did a no shave FUE it was extracted from behind and not sides so i didnt have to shave side. You can easily get around 1500 without shaving the sides. Within 2-3 weeks I was able to create a hair cut with tapered look in the back and no one could tell i had a transplant. I d dint shave the recipient area either. I had to attend video zoom team meetings every day (20 peple) and I took a week off from work and another week away from zoom. But yes since you are 32 its pretty fine to go for tranplant but being little conservative with hairline.

35 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

Gregory Gage's hairline is way too flat as well. Seems to be as flat as it can be

He deliberately went against the clinic to not be as "straight" and they basically have on his right side got a wonky line of grafts which looks ridiculous. 

Implanting singles is the go to method to make something appear natural but if you look at his, it just looks ridiculous because the singles are placed in a straight line and that's not how it is even in the genetic jackpot lottery. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vs7855 said:

My main goal is to “lower” and flatten the hairline. My impression was that topicals and laser could thicken your hair a bit but that’s about it. Am I wrong about that?

It is a lifelong decison. Personally I would not start this process at 32 for such minor loss. But everybody is different.