Dr. Bruno Ferreria - 2411 Grafts - June 1-2nd 2021

Sure thing guys. I really feel zero need to defend myself here. The hairline density on the right side just isn't where I want it to be. Period. Again, Dr. Ferreira literally told me this was a distinct possibility, so I find it amusing you guys are so up in arms over a result Dr Ferreira specifically told me was possible. I'm not saying the surgery overall was a failure; it's undoubtedly an improvement. It's also not good enough for me. I don't want the entire right side of my hairline to be wispy and thin. I shouldn't have to comb the hair strategically and lock in it place in that position for the hairline to not be completely transparent to the scalp. 

Edited by ReticentRaccoon

Your result is close to the highest density you can achieve with a hair transplant imo. That being said, hair characteristics also play a part, meaning that maybe your donor hair wasn't as thick and therefore didn't produce an even greater illusion of density. All that being said, you had a pretty decent receded hairline and that has been filled in very nicely with this surgery and I personally feel you had unrealistic expectations and if I'm being blunt, are a bit spoiled. As others pointed out you are also taking some of these pictures in such a way and in such a light, (some with flash) that shows the hair in it's worse case scenario, which wouldn't ever be seen if your hair were styled and combed properly. If you should ever do anything else it should be to bring your temples more forward a bit to match up your newly straighter hairline. I think that would make for a final (and more pleasing) anesthetic look.

Edited by ML488
  • Like 1

No flash on the last two pics. It's cool, I'm doing another surgery and I realize my disappointment is directly correlates to my expectations. Calling me spoiled is a pretty funny when it took me the better part of 3 years to save the money to this, but again, I understand a lot of you are in much worse positions. My hair is particularly thin so maybe that's why. Take my results for what they are and draw your own conclusions. 

40 minutes ago, ReticentRaccoon said:

No flash on the last two pics. It's cool, I'm doing another surgery and I realize my disappointment is directly correlates to my expectations. Calling me spoiled is a pretty funny when it took me the better part of 3 years to save the money to this, but again, I understand a lot of you are in much worse positions. My hair is particularly thin so maybe that's why. Take my results for what they are and draw your own conclusions. 

Where will you be getting the 2nd surgery? 

21 hours ago, ReticentRaccoon said:

Mate, its all relative, some of us are sitting here with life altering botch jobs and you have the hair of dreams.. you were smart enough to pick one of the best surgeons with the highest success rates in the world right now so take pride in that.. if you want to do this scientifically you can cut a 1 cm square in a piece of paper and hold it over the thinner areas to see what the density is and you will know roughly how many more grafts per square cm you will need.. but in my opinion we tend to hyperfocus on the details, most people will only see a brutal hairline and density when they see you in real life

Failed transplants for 3000 grafts at ASMED clinic, destroyed donor and recipient

Yeah, you guys are right, I was mainly speaking from a place of disappointment, but to call this surgery a disappointment overall would be unfair to Dr. Ferreira. He did a great job. I just had really excessive expectations and a thin donor hair. Maybe the main take away from this thread people should take away is to have realistic expectations. I wish it was denser, but I'm also an obsessive perfectionist, and that's probably the main take away here. I would recommend Dr Ferreira to someone who was looking at a transplant, but I would also advise them to perhaps temper their dreams of super thick hairlines. I guess when you're going bald, this is as best as can be realistically expected in a single surgery. As far as the second one goes, I've decided to hold off for a few years. I have enough to "work with" currently, even if not as much as I would like. In a few years I can have the hairline thickened up, and also the crown and midscalp as well, as hair loss is a progressive condition and I'm sure I will slowly thin in the coming years. 

Edited by ReticentRaccoon
  • Like 3

Yo, my fellow perfectionist! ;) I'm glad you seem to be at peace with this, and I hope you don't feel like any of us want you to defend yourself for being disappointed - we're just offering our perspective of what seems to be a universally agreed upon opinion in this thread that you have a fantastic set of hair and your transplant is pretty much as good as it gets. I actually prefer your hairline to the one in the thread you posted and compared yourself to. Yours looks way more natural to me, as it's very possible for a hairline to look "too perfect/dense/linear" etc., which a lot of us don't think looks natural. Perhaps it comes down to preference, but for me, I'd take your results any day over the one you consider to be your ideal outcome. 

I remember when I went in for my consultation with Dr. Mohebi and explained to him what I wanted my hairline to look like, and he kindly explained to me that what I thought would be a "perfect hairline" would in fact look very unnatural... Like a Ken doll. Maybe with some time not thinking about it so much, you'll be able to find a way to be satisfied with the outcome you have. 

You're spot on that having realistic expectations is one of the most important factors of a successful hair transplant, and yours may have been a tad unrealistic. And while you wait to get that followup procedure, try to find ways to enjoy and celebrate this home run of a first procedure in the meantime.  :) 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 6/5/2022 at 2:27 AM, ReticentRaccoon said:

Yeah, you guys are right, I was mainly speaking from a place of disappointment, but to call this surgery a disappointment overall would be unfair to Dr. Ferreira. He did a great job. I just had really excessive expectations and a thin donor hair. Maybe the main take away from this thread people should take away is to have realistic expectations. I wish it was denser, but I'm also an obsessive perfectionist, and that's probably the main take away here. I would recommend Dr Ferreira to someone who was looking at a transplant, but I would also advise them to perhaps temper their dreams of super thick hairlines. I guess when you're going bald, this is as best as can be realistically expected in a single surgery. As far as the second one goes, I've decided to hold off for a few years. I have enough to "work with" currently, even if not as much as I would like. In a few years I can have the hairline thickened up, and also the crown and midscalp as well, as hair loss is a progressive condition and I'm sure I will slowly thin in the coming years. 

Glad to see a sensible take from you at last. What you have is a dream result after one surgery, hoping for more was always going to result in disappointment.

Not to be overly intrusive or anything but I would seriously advise you to try to learn to accept your hair as it is now rather than fixate on the need for an additional procedure in the future. With this sort of approach to your appearance (and this is of course merely speculation), I can't help but suspect that once you "fix" this nonexistent issue with your hair you'll latch onto the next insecurity, which will only lead to more self esteem issues. Just some friendly advice, your posts scream body dismorphia to me and in my opinion your best course of action is to try and work on that rather than obsessing over imaginary flaws in your appearance.

Hope this doesn't come off as an attack, reading your posts (with the exception of your last) had me genuinely worried. Perhaps also lay off the hair loss forums for a bit, while this one is a notable exception, I have found the community overall to be quite a toxic environment not at all conducive to sound mental health.

• Like 1

What surprises me a bit about your case is that 2400 grafts were used on such a small recipient area. Do you know the size of the recipient area in cm2, and how many grafts per cm2 he used? Perhaps it's somewhere around 40cm * 60/cm2 = 2400?