Want another surgery but worried about donor

Hi I have 2 strip scars from 3 fut surgeries. A total of nearly 7000 grafts have been taken out. I'm now looking to book for an fue procedure. I have sent pictures to a couple of recommeded doctors and they both have said they can take another 3000 grafts from my donor area. Is 3000 grafts still possible after already having 7000 grafts taken out? Won't another 3000 make donor area patchy? Has anyone ever had 10000 grafts taken out and still have a decent donor area?

20211114_160219.jpg

Edited by taza

I wouldn't do 3k grafts in one procedure, but they could be right that you have that many scalp grafts left.  Maybe a 1.5-2K graft procedure and then reassess the donor after your the FUE.  Are you addressing your crown with the FUE?

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

1 hour ago, taza said:

Hi I have 2 strip scars from 3 fut surgeries. A total of nearly 7000 grafts have been taken out. I'm now looking to book for an fue procedure. I have sent pictures to a couple of recommeded doctors and they both have said they can take another 3000 grafts from my donor area. Is 3000 grafts still possible after already having 7000 grafts taken out? Won't another 3000 make donor area patchy? Has anyone ever had 10000 grafts taken out and still have a decent donor area?

20211114_160219.jpg

i think you should do 2000 grafts then go back for the last 1000 if you are worried but i think you'll be ok for 3000 but it may be your limit

One of the doctor has recommended 2000 grafts from back of head and 1000 grafts from beard. But I'm thinking maybe 1500 from back of head and 1500 from beard. Which is the better option?

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, taza said:

One of the doctor has recommended 2000 grafts from back of head and 1000 grafts from beard. But I'm thinking maybe 1500 from back of head and 1500 from beard. Which is the better option?

The better option isn't necessarily the numbers of scalp/beard grafts but the skill of the surgeon performing the surgery in your specific case.

Dont do 3000 in one go.  Break it up by half to see how the hair takes if anything.  One year apart.  

3016 grafts set me up for a nightmare with dense packing.  To this day im struggling getting this repaired.  He took many years away from my life.  Never kept his word in full.  

If the 2 previous surgeries were FUT then really they should not impact on the hair follicles left on the back and sides as its a different type of scarring with FUE, so having just done 2 x 3000 graft sessions of FUE I would personally say that sounds fine, as looking at my hair and bits that are left I was thinking myself I could probably do a strip FUT at the top of the hair where the FUE didn't extend up to in the future

I always advocate baby step surgeries, even more so for patients under your particular circumstances. 

Why don't you post up some pics of your whole head, and show the areas you wish to address, which give you the most cause for concern, and we can help talk about different types of strategies you could opt for, which will help achieve both end result satisfaction, and donor harvesting safety? 

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

I always advocate baby step surgeries, even more so for patients under your particular circumstances. 

Why don't you post up some pics of your whole head, and show the areas you wish to address, which give you the most cause for concern, and we can help talk about different types of strategies you could opt for, which will help achieve both end result satisfaction, and donor harvesting safety? 

I have attached more pictures. What is the best strategy for me?

20211114_160401.jpg

20211114_160345.jpg

20211114_164208.jpg

Thanks for posting your last photo. It seems you style your hair from left to right.  As the hair falls it shingles and gives you the illusion of density.  If you were to comb all that hair to the left, it's likely it will show you have diffused coverage, except the crown which is fairly empty.  So, after a few procedures, you are still thin. Did the doctor put grafts throughout the pattern? It does not seem he concentrated them to any specific area.

Are you doing any type of medical therapy? Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and Laser are the modalities we refer to when dealing with this condition.  I would encourage you to discuss these with the doctor. These could help with retention and enhancement of the native hair, particularly on the crown.

Since you already have the FUT scar, I would continue doing the same until you run out of elasticity.  You can then go FUE.  Have the doctor check your elasticity during your post op visit.

To buy you some time, you could consider SMP. This would help minimize the contrast between the color of the hair and the scalp. 

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

You have fantastic hair calibre, so I’m surprised 7000 grafts hasn’t got you to a pretty bullet proof point coverage wise, given the area that I can pretty confidently determine as the previously balding/bald areas.

Who was your surgeon?

Oh well, not to worry - if you do indeed have 3000 scalp hair grafts vía FUE, then this will be more than enough to finish you off and looking like a full head, in the right surgeons hands. . .  

Depending on what is most bothersome for you,  I would look to allocate 1500 grafts into the hairline and frontal 1/3 to bolster this area . . And then return to place a further 1500 into your vertex/crown area. 

From the slight sneak peek in the corner of the first photo, I can see your beard looks pretty decent, albeit a different colour, so this should also be an option you can look to utilise before considering SMP

6 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Thanks for posting your last photo. It seems you style your hair from left to right.  As the hair falls it shingles and gives you the illusion of density.  If you were to comb all that hair to the left, it's likely it will show you have diffused coverage, except the crown which is fairly empty.  So, after a few procedures, you are still thin. Did the doctor put grafts throughout the pattern? It does not seem he concentrated them to any specific area.

Are you doing any type of medical therapy? Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and Laser are the modalities we refer to when dealing with this condition.  I would encourage you to discuss these with the doctor. These could help with retention and enhancement of the native hair, particularly on the crown.

Since you already have the FUT scar, I would continue doing the same until you run out of elasticity.  You can then go FUE.  Have the doctor check your elasticity during your post op visit.

To buy you some time, you could consider SMP. This would help minimize the contrast between the color of the hair and the scalp. 

I had my last procedure in 2009, since then I have lost alot of my native hair. Will another procedure make my donor look depleted? Shall I have smp before another procedure? I am on minoxidil and started finasteride a month ago.

Taza,

FUT and FUE are very different procedures in terms of harvesting hair from the donor area.   With FUT / Strip, a strip of tissue is removed and the wound is closed whereas with FUE follicular units are excised one at a time.  While I’m likely staying information you already know, if you think about each particular technique in detail, you will see why taking an additional 3000 grafts via FUE won’t make your donor look overly thin as long as you’ve selected an experienced FUE surgeon.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 minute ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Taza,

FUT and FUE are very different procedures in terms of harvesting hair from the donor area.   With FUT / Strip, a strip of tissue is removed and the wound is closed whereas with FUE follicular units are excised one at a time.  While I’m likely staying information you already know, if you think about each particular technique in detail, you will see why taking an additional 3000 grafts via FUE won’t make your donor look overly thin as long as you’ve selected an experienced FUE surgeon.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thanks Rahal Transplant 

My last procedure was with Dr Rahal. How many grafts are possible from both sides of head? I don't want to deplete hair from strip scars at the back.

14 minutes ago, taza said:

I had my last procedure in 2009, since then I have lost alot of my native hair. Will another procedure make my donor look depleted? Shall I have smp before another procedure? I am on minoxidil and started finasteride a month ago.

I would encourage you to continue the meds and stay on them.  It takes a good year to see what you'll accomplish.  PRP, if done correctly, can help reverse the thinning.  

You really do need to do an in person evaluation to ascertain what you have donor wise. 

When to do SMP, or grafts for that matter, will depend on your goals, ongoing hair loss, donor, and a number of other factors.  If you are in no rush, I would consider SMP.  That would buy you some time to see what the meds will do.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Even a 3000 grafts fue extraction if done wrong can create density loss or a compressed noticeable extraction pattern in the back of the head.  Like a strip of duct tape pattern.  It happened to me during first procedure.  Should be spread out and away from scar lines If you are doing FUE.  

should be done by experienced surgeon and not a nurse or tech- extraction that is.  Also, tools and punch size may matter.  Dek lo