Which European doctors are known for taking thorough measurements?

I Know for example Dr. Zarev (who is impossible to get) uses tools to accurately measure donor density in each zone, hair caliber, recipient area size etc. He does the arithematics and has a software for that apparently. 

Since I can't reach him, any other doctor in Europe comes close in terms of relying on objective data? I know Zarev is an outlier maybe, but what is the next best clinic in that regard? 

Thanks 

• Administrators

In my opinion, one of the best at this type of work is Dr. Lorenzo, he has an intricate cover value system. Probably the best in the industry. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

In my opinion, one of the best at this type of work is Dr. Lorenzo, he has an intricate cover value system. Probably the best in the industry. 

This is all smoke and mirrors. In reality ive seen it multiple times overestimate graft numbers for guys and get them depleted. 

id stay away from Lorenzo due to the fact that he operates on 4 patients a day, very rushed. Technicians do extractions and it’s a bit of Russian roulette in terms of who you get. He also juggles consultations in the middle of surgery…a big no

• Administrators
4 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

This is all smoke and mirrors. In reality ive seen it multiple times overestimate graft numbers for guys and get them depleted. 

id stay away from Lorenzo due to the fact that he operates on 4 patients a day, very rushed. Technicians do extractions and it’s a bit of Russian roulette in terms of who you get. He also juggles consultations in the middle of surgery…a big no

I can’t say if this is true or not. I know several clinics that do 4 patients per day, but they have several doctors. He might have another two junior doctors overseeing the procedures with him. That said, I don’t know enough about his practice, I’d like to visit him some time.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

4 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I can’t say if this is true or not. I know several clinics that do 4 patients per day, but they have several doctors. He might have another two junior doctors overseeing the procedures with him. That said, I don’t know enough about his practice, I’d like to visit him some time.

I can confirm there are no other doctors. When there were (ximena vila, bruno Ferreira, etc, they actually managed only their own surgeries). The only part he does is implantations. Not saying he can’t get good results, but I feel like most patients aren’t aware of things like this until they are in the surgical chair.

Edited by 5BetaReductase

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2022 at 10:15 PM, 5BetaReductase said:

The part about consultations isn’t true. He only conducts consultations on Fridays and there’s no surgery that day. Surgery days are Monday to Thursday.

14 hours ago, FITA said:

The part about consultations isn’t true. He only conducts consultations on Fridays and there’s no surgery that day. Surgery days are Monday to Thursday.

It is true. He does in person consults all day on Fridays. However, while all his “extraction” techs are working away for hours without supervision, he’s not in the OR because he’s checking up on patients from last week and from earlier in the week. He also does his email consults during at that same time too.

The difference between couto/Freitas and Lorenzo is that they only do two patients a day with only one tech that extracts that’s been there for years with them. Lorenzo has 3-4 extraction techs and a hoard of other techs in the background to support 4 surgeries. And he is still significantly more expensive than any other doctor in Spain even though he is less involved. His consults Pre op are literally 5 minutes or less. His turnover for techs is very high as well. 

Ideally, I think a doctor needs to be involved in all steps. The more supervision, the better.

10 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

It is true. He does in person consults all day on Fridays. However, while all his “extraction” techs are working away for hours without supervision, he’s not in the OR because he’s checking up on patients from last week and from earlier in the week. He also does his email consults during at that same time too.

The difference between couto/Freitas and Lorenzo is that they only do two patients a day with only one tech that extracts that’s been there for years with them. Lorenzo has 3-4 extraction techs and a hoard of other techs in the background to support 4 surgeries. And he is still significantly more expensive than any other doctor in Spain even though he is less involved. His consults Pre op are literally 5 minutes or less. His turnover for techs is very high as well. 

Ideally, I think a doctor needs to be involved in all steps. The more supervision, the better.

I had in-person consultations with both Dr Couto and Dr Lorenzo very recently and both consultations lasted approximately an hour. I went to Madrid for Couto, but I genuinely got better vibes from Lorenzo and thought the consultation was more thorough.

Both have quoted me €5 per graft and both have drawn very similar hairlines. But Couto said it’s 1600 grafts and Lorenzo’s is 1000 grafts. The written quote I’ve received from FUEXPERT Clinic doesn’t specify the number of grafts, just the price. I really don’t think the number he’s said is right, particularly when this video shows a lot more grafts needed than my case and it’s 100 less:

I’ve come on this forum to conduct further research before making a decision and I keep changing my mind based on what I’m reading; I do agree that 3 or 4 surgeries a day is a lot. And I see your points about the technicians being left to it. So that putting me off Lorenzo a bit too.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, FITA said:

I had in-person consultations with both Dr Couto and Dr Lorenzo very recently and both consultations lasted approximately an hour. I went to Madrid for Couto, but I genuinely got better vibes from Lorenzo and thought the consultation was more thorough.

Both have quoted me €5 per graft and both have drawn very similar hairlines. But Couto said it’s 1600 grafts and Lorenzo’s is 1000 grafts. The written quote I’ve received from FUEXPERT Clinic doesn’t specify the number of grafts, just the price. I really don’t think the number he’s said is right, particularly when this video shows a lot more grafts needed than my case and it’s 100 less:

I’ve come on this forum to conduct further research before making a decision and I keep changing my mind based on what I’m reading; I do agree that 3 or 4 surgeries a day is a lot. And I see your points about the technicians being left to it. So that putting me off Lorenzo a bit too.

Have you consulted with De Freitas? He’s easily one of the best in Europe. 

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Have you consulted with De Freitas? He’s easily one of the best in Europe. 

No, I found the process to get a consultation with him to be the most difficult. Do you happen to know the price per graft at his clinic?

2 hours ago, FITA said:

No, I found the process to get a consultation with him to be the most difficult. Do you happen to know the price per graft at his clinic?

You can get in touch with his rep that posts on here. If considering Spain/Portugal I’d personally add pinto to the list. He is involved in every step and is extremely meticulous. If you look on Spanish forums, couto/pinto/Freitas are the most sought after.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FITA said:

Last time I checked it was $3.50 for the first 1000 grafts, and then reduces to $2.50 per graft thereafter. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, FITA said:

You can reach out to @De Freitas Clinic here, Ignacio, the rep will respond.

View my thread

13 hours ago, JC71 said:

Last time I checked it was $3.50 for the first 1000 grafts, and then reduces to $2.50 per graft thereafter. 

Does anyone know if that price is inclusive of VAT? For example, Lorenzo and Couto’s €5 per graft is inclusive of VAT. If the €3.50 isn’t inclusive, then in reality it’s €4.24 per graft. @Melvin- Moderatordo you happen to know? Thanks

It used to be the case with some European clinics, that if you weren’t a resident in that country, you would be exempt from VAT . . I think medical tourism laws changed it for some countries, however still well worth asking. 

I didn’t pay VAT on Belgium in 2016.