leg hairs for hairline and temples?

alot of doctors dont like to do temple transplants since the hair caliber from the donor is usually quite thick so it always sticks out and looks unnatural but if one were to use leg hairs would that work? the length isnt an issue as usually temple hairs dont grow very long for a lot of people and can look like baby hairs. has anyone tried this ?

• Moderators

Dr Sanusi Umar has done a couple of transplants using some leg and arm hair, but I don't know/remember what areas he specifically used those grafts in.

EDIT: Actually @AB2000has used some arm hair with Dr Umar to improve the lower back of his crown and/or nape area I believe.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

BHT is an interesting phenomenon and I've personally seen some impressive cases over the years.  But I've also seen a lot of failures.  My personal opinion is this.  BHT should be used as a last resort when scalp hair has been depleted and only if the individual has viable enough body hair for transplanting.  Many of the "fine" body hair for transplanting never grow because they are fragile and they are difficult to extract.  It's also my understanding that it's more difficult to excise leg hairs for transplanting than it is to harvest chest or back hairs.  Also, many individuals just don't seem to be good candidates for BHT whether the body hair just isn't viable or they're just too difficult to extract due to the patient's physiology of the skin.

My question to you is, are you considering BHT simply because you feel that leg hairs are finer and better to remake a hairline?  Or have you also depleted your scalp hair supply?  Because with scalp FUE, you can cherry pick finer hairs for the hairline as well, and it ends up looking incredibly natural, that is, as long as you've selected an experienced FUE surgeon who specializes in hairlines.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

I would much rather use nape hair, which may thin out, over leg hair. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Big Foot checking in here. 

LOADS of body hair but as people have pointed out, usually it's the worst out of the areas for potential growth and even if i had like 100k hairs on my body, i don't think they'll be sufficient caliber etc. and although i have lost my temple points, i've lived long enough to know my chest, back hair and legs will only grow to a certain length. The only areas which tend to grow more dense but are also unsuitable imo are armpit and pubic hair as they're usually more coarse and wiry. 

Our best hope is a combination of the scalp donor being viable and beard handled by a skilled doctor who knows their craft of combining the two hair types. 

Zoomster is a great example tbh. 

I would imagine the growth cycle of body hair from places such as the leg would also be a bit of an issue cosmetically in the grand scheme of things. 

Beard, for example, doesn't have a massively shorter length of an anagen phase than scalp hair does; hence why it can grow very long down past your chest if wanted (although obviously I'm not suggesting this should go in the hairline, just pointing out growth phases). Looking at my leg hair, it is probably maximum an inch/inch and a half in length in all areas, and as such, I would imagine the anagen phase for it is less than a few months, max. Having this placed in your hairline would mean that growth in this area would likely be pretty volatile and subject to constant change, and I would imagine it would look ok for a bit and then sparse and then ok and sparse again all the time. Although I'm certainly no expert in the matter, I could be wrong and I'm sure it's been done in rare cases before, but just my thoughts. 

Maybe it could be of use in some areas if absolutely necessary, but I don't know about right at the hairline which is the most visible and arguably important area of your hair. As others have pointed out, there are likely enough fine hairs from other sources available to put in the hairline, even if you're depleted. The nape, as Melvin says, would be a much better choice even if it is subject to the effects of DHT quite heavily. Beyond that, if BHT was the only option, surely something Iike chest would come before leg in the list of choices?

I have heard of leg hair, arm hair, etc. being used by surgeons and lymphedema occurring as a result. One such surgeon was warned by the medical board yet continued doing so and had his medical license revoked. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Just now, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I have heard of leg hair, arm hair, etc. being used by surgeons and lymphedema occurring as a result. One such surgeon was warned by the medical board yet continued doing so and had his medical license revoked. 

Really ? Can you mention who this was ? 

21 hours ago, JC71 said:

Really ? Can you mention who this was ? 

Unfortunately, I can't mention who it was. I will say though that it isn't anyone recommended here from the list

21 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

glad there was actually a repercussion for this

Medical boards in the US don't mess around

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

49 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

How does it cause lymphedema? Does this happen with beard hair as well?

7 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

BHT is an interesting phenomenon and I've personally seen some impressive cases over the years.  But I've also seen a lot of failures.  My personal opinion is this.  BHT should be used as a last resort when scalp hair has been depleted and only if the individual has viable enough body hair for transplanting.  Many of the "fine" body hair for transplanting never grow because they are fragile and they are difficult to extract.  It's also my understanding that it's more difficult to excise leg hairs for transplanting than it is to harvest chest or back hairs.  Also, many individuals just don't seem to be good candidates for BHT whether the body hair just isn't viable or they're just too difficult to extract due to the patient's physiology of the skin.

My question to you is, are you considering BHT simply because you feel that leg hairs are finer and better to remake a hairline?  Or have you also depleted your scalp hair supply?  Because with scalp FUE, you can cherry pick finer hairs for the hairline as well, and it ends up looking incredibly natural, that is, as long as you've selected an experienced FUE surgeon who specializes in hairlines.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Well its more that donor hair is limited and has aesthetic value as long as it isnt overharvested whereas body hair is more of nuisance so even if it had poor growth there wouldnt be anything lost

8 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

+1 am curious too. I had never heard of this before. And just to be clear, lymphedema on the scalp or on the legs?

On the legs. I'm assuming the surgeons were just terrible (going in too deep, etc.) at extractions and damaged the lymphatic system

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

On the legs. I'm assuming the surgeons were just terrible (going in too deep, etc.) at extractions and damaged the lymphatic system

is this surgical negligence or is extracting hair from parts of the body that aren't the head just a lot more prone to complications?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmokin said:

is this surgical negligence or is extracting hair from parts of the body that aren't the head just a lot more prone to complications?

Great question. It's a combination of the 2 factors you mentioned