2500 (maybe?) FUT results after 11 months - need opinions

On 2/24/2022 at 12:50 AM, JoeMan said:

If you're willing to go to Europe, they have some excellent Dr's and they're much cheaper than the US.

I'd look at Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Ferreira, Dr. Pinto and Dr. De Freitas for your 2nd procedure. 

In US, Dr Cooley looks interesting to me or H&W in Canada. 

Gosh, I was considering Dr. Charles but not after seeing this.  These other doctors in Europe, do the have better reuptations?

Has there been any update on this? I got my FUT by Dr. Charles about 12 years ago (3,000 grafts) and my results have been great and I'm going to get FUE surgery for my crown with Dr. Charles. This is so out of character for Dr. Charles. 

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2022 at 11:41 AM, callmebob2021 said:

Thanks for the comments/help.t about the scar - mine is long (ear to ear) and thin--difficult to see now--which made me think the doctor did a great job on the cutting and stitching, but which could mean a "fool you into thinking it was more than it was" situation to quote @BeHappy. One other note I should make clear: the "Immediate post HT in dr office" photo was taken by me, selfie style, not the official doctors photo. So, dr is off the hook there. Although I asked dr for original but they wouldn't release to me. So, maybe not off the hook.

Notes from my 1 year post-op check in: Doctor basically said these things:

• The result is definitely better than before. He said I basically had no hair on the temples and now I do, so it's better
  • To my question of "this doesn't seem like 2500 grafts", he reiterated that he did 2.5 grafts even pulling out the chart and reading 2, 531 grafts
  • To my question of "you said 2500 would do the trick, you did 2500 it didn't provide full coverage, did I have non-typical results" he responded with a generic "results vary person to person, hair type to hair type" type of answer
  • To my comment of "seems weird that there's very little coverage on the right side of my head", he examined my head more, drew an oval about the size of two dimes laid side by side and said yes, "that spot didn't seem to take", he said that could be for various reasons but he couldn't tell me what exactly happened there. 
  • He said I probably want thicker coverage so we should do a second procedure, he would comp me 200 grafts for the oval where the procedure didn't stick and he didn't know what happened.

That was basically it. The doctor was Dr. Charles from Boca. You guys have been helpful here so far, so thanks for that. Any other thought on the subject would be helpful. And a recommendation for a different doctor that can do the 2nd "fix up" procedure would also be appreciated. 

p.s. one other comment that the dr mentioned when talking about procedure #2 - I asked FUE vs. FUT for procedure #2 and he basically said FUE makes completely no sense as a second procedure if you have previously done FUT. Because you already have the scar. I never thought about that before doing #1 and have never seen discussed here. But something that seems like an extremely important piece of info to contemplate before you go into your first procedure. 

Honestly this is definitely not 2500 grafts. 2500 grafts will take you easily around 8 hours if it is done in 1 day. TBH this look more like below 1000 grafts.

From your experiences, I feel you had the same experiences as what I had. Just a honest opinion, never go back to the same doctor, try get the repair from a reputable clinic. Since you are in US, maybe you want to consult a legal point of view and get the refund. Good luck!

• Like 1

Less than 4 hours for 2.5k grafts sounds ridiculous.

I had a team of 10 people working on me, and it took closer to 7 hours to do 3.3k grafts.  And even my case I’d consider extremely fast.

If you had a small team, there’s just no way… 

Check out my journey here:

• 6 months later...

Curious as to the outcome of this one ?  Dr. Charles was on my short list, though after this I'm questioning that.

Has anyone had a procedure recently with Dr. Charles after this incident ?  If so how was your outcome ? 

3 hours ago, NewHare said:

Curious as to the outcome of this one ?  Dr. Charles was on my short list, though after this I'm questioning that.

Has anyone had a procedure recently with Dr. Charles after this incident ?  If so how was your outcome ? 

If Dr Charles think this is a "good" result, then I am scared to see what a poor result from him would look like. I would avoid and look elsewhere. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NewHare said:

The recommended list for this site, like any other lists, do not mean much. It means they had a few good reviews during their screening, but it seems to me like once they have been recommended and pay a monthly fee, they pretty much can do whatever they want with their practice. Like Dr. Diep, who just got removed from the list after years of bad practice. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Guys,

I reached out to this member, but he never responded. I can’t confirm that he’s a patient of Dr. Charles without this information. To confirm he’s a patient I need his full name and date of surgery. I sent him this PM six months ago with no response, he didn’t even read it. Before we start attacking a surgeon how about we confirm that the poster is a patient and then give the surgeon the opportunity to respond. We’re only hearing one side. Let’s be fair and balanced.

AE49E368-7BAF-41D8-BADA-ABC73D39DC94.png

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...