FUT How Short is Too Short?

I'm scheduled for an FUT early next year with a highly regarded HT surgeon who recommended an FUT. Since I scheduled my procedure, I discovered I sort of like my hair shorter on the back and sides. 🙂

Now I'm concerned that the FUT scar might show. A friend of mine got an FUT last year and she ran his hands through his hair and I could not see any visible scar.
How short is too short once you've healed from an FUT?

• Like 1

FUT scarring is often touted as pencil thin but this is very rare.  While it’s typically concealed by existing hair on the sides and back of the scalp when hair is worn a bit longer, it’s often visible when hair is cropped at the lowest grades.   Even with the trichophytic closure technique, there’s no guarantee it will be undetectable when hair is worn at ultra short lengths.  This is why so many patients prefer FUE and why we only perform FUE at our clinic now.  That’s not to say that FUT isn’t a viable procedure however, FUE in experienced hands can be just as viable as strip without creating a linear scar.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Somewhere around a 3 to 4 guard on a hair clipper if you have a decent to pretty good scar. Like has been said, even with trichophytic closures there can still be stretching during the healing process that can create a pretty clear scar line. And some people just heal better than others, like their bodies don't over-produce scar tissue etc

It depends on your surgeon and your genetics. I'm one month post-op on my second procedure and I just got a hair cut with a 7 guard. You could see the scar from the side in certain lighting. After my first procedure, you could see a faint outline of a scar with a 6 guard in certain lighting.

• Administrators

Depends on the size of the strip. If you look at @WS2020 he had a small strip and it’s easily concealed with what looks like a #4. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey: 

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.