Any Benefit to Using Both Oral and Topical Finasteride?

Damifino

I've been on oral Finasteride for over 20 years (no side effects), and it's done a good job at holding off further loss. I've recently started back using 5% Rogaine foam in the crown area, where I'd like to see some further thickening. Would there be any added benefit in trying topical finasteride instead of, or in addition to, the Rogaine? Or, since I'm already taking oral finasteride, would it not be of help much at all? 

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

I think there’s a benefit to using oral finasteride and Topical Dutasteride, which is only once a week. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Well actually the answer is there could be. While fin reduces systemic dht 60-70 percent for men, the reduction is not equal to that percent range in the scalp. Topical fin could help reduce 5ar conversion directly in the scalp according to the few studies done it. However you run into the problem of topical fin going systemic along with your oral use

• 1 year later...

Bumping this back to the top, as I'm still looking to get some additional thickening in my crown area...

@Melvin- Moderator, you mentioned in your earlier post that you thought there could be some benefit to oral Finasteride (which I'm still taking) together with topical Dutasteride. A few follow-up questions:

- Any updated thoughts on this, given your success with Xyon?

- Would the addition of Xyon topical Dut to oral Fin be overkill? 

- If I decided to try Xyon with Dut, would that replace topical Minoxidil in my routine?

- And finally, if I decide to go this route, should I be concerned about possible shedding?

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Damifino said:

Bumping this back to the top, as I'm still looking to get some additional thickening in my crown area...

@Melvin- Moderator, you mentioned in your earlier post that you thought there could be some benefit to oral Finasteride (which I'm still taking) together with topical Dutasteride. A few follow-up questions:

- Any updated thoughts on this, given your success with Xyon?

- Would the addition of Xyon topical Dut to oral Fin be overkill? 

- If I decided to try Xyon with Dut, would that replace topical Minoxidil in my routine?

- And finally, if I decide to go this route, should I be concerned about possible shedding?

Thanks in advance!

There may be overlapping benefits if you use Topical Dut and Oral fin. But I don't think it's the best option. A topical that stops androgens from another mechanism would be better—like a CosmeRNA or Pyrilutamide. Xyon's dutasteride is not a replacement for minoxidil. It would be best if you still used minoxidil. But you can replace the topical minoxidil with the oral version; it's more effective. I didn't experience any shedding. But it's hard to say everyone is different. Shedding is usually a good sign that the medication is working. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Damifino said:

Thanks, @Melvin- Moderator. I may just have to give CosmeRNA a try, though it is expensive. I'm a little hesitant to try oral minox, mainly because of heart health concerns (I have a bad family history in that department). 

I heard they're giving a discount this month. I think it was like 25% on Amazon. 

View my thread