My density fill results

xtatic5

This procedure was performed by Chris Herrera of Scalp Micropigmentation in Maryland, USA.  He used permanent ink covering my entire upper scalp as well as my FUT scar.

For context, I'm a NW 3V with diffuse thinning.  I received a transplant to lower my hairline in 2013 and I've been on minox and finasteride ever since.

I asked Chris for a density fill to enhance my hairline as well as a bald patch on my crown.  I ultimately opted for whole scalp coverage after assessing the condition of my thinning scalp.  Honest opinions welcome.

IMG_20211115_154759.jpg

IMG_20211219_101034.jpg

IMG_20211221_114017_2.jpg

IMG_20211013_150720_2.jpg

Just posted this in the other topic where you first posted your pics and story. Adding it here as well along with these additional details.  

"This was performed in one, 3-hour session with a check-up 30 days after.  I raised my concerns with him during the check-up and he defended his work.  He said that adding more ink would make it too dark and suggested that I grow my hair long for the best result. 

In addition to looking faded I'm not sure why the "dots" are mis-shapened, is this normal for a density fill?"

Hopefully @hairthere and @EnhancedScalp can advise based on your details and pics.

Also just did a quick search based on the guy's name and looks like this is his operation:

https://www.scalpmicropigmentationmd.com/

• Like 1

The dots don’t look like dots, they look like dull smudges beneath the surface. Almost like when tattoo ink is really blown out or after partial laser removal. I’ve never seen SMP look like this. 

im also confused why you have essentially two hairlines. Is the lower hairline from the HT and it was a very poor yield? 

the good news is you can get this lasered off it will be like it never happened, save for the money it cost you. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

The dots don’t look like dots, they look like dull smudges beneath the surface. Almost like when tattoo ink is really blown out or after partial laser removal. I’ve never seen SMP look like this. 

im also confused why you have essentially two hairlines. Is the lower hairline from the HT and it was a very poor yield? 

the good news is you can get this lasered off it will be like it never happened, save for the money it cost you. 

I need to retract part of my statement. When I look in the mirror at my SMP, even up close, I see nice pronounced dots that match the color and tone of my hair. However when I try to take a picture of them, they look similar to yours. I’m thinking maybe the light shining down and reflecting off the scalp is what’s causing them to look dull and misshapen. If I try to take pictures without direct overhead light you can’t even see the dots as it just looks like hair. So it’s really hard to photograph, at least for me. 

I do still stand by my concern regarding the hairline though. 

On 12/21/2021 at 10:00 PM, EvoXOhio said:

I need to retract part of my statement. When I look in the mirror at my SMP, even up close, I see nice pronounced dots that match the color and tone of my hair. However when I try to take a picture of them, they look similar to yours. I’m thinking maybe the light shining down and reflecting off the scalp is what’s causing them to look dull and misshapen. If I try to take pictures without direct overhead light you can’t even see the dots as it just looks like hair. So it’s really hard to photograph, at least for me. 

I do still stand by my concern regarding the hairline though. 

I agree that it's difficult to see any dots at all without direct light; could it be due to the low contrast between the ink color and my skin tone?  Here's another pic in ambient, artificial lighting. I'll also attach a pic taken the day after the procedure.  It looks amazing but unfortunately all of the visible ink disappeared days later.

The double hairline is from a 2700fu transplant back in 2013 to lower my hairline. This was previously bare forehead so what you see is all transplanted hair.  Some of it came out with the SMP scabs and I'm hoping it grows back.

IMG_20211221_231833.jpg

Edited by xtatic5

I'd agree the problem here isn't your SMP job but your hair transplant and the hair length/style. You need to either grow it longer or shaved down with a zero guard so the SMP blends properly with the hair. I turn clients away if I think the expectations are unrealistic or if I feel there are other better options for them. Did your technician mention to you that you were better suited for a Shaved Look procedure?

When clients come to me for a procedure I'm always very thorough and explain the realties of what we can accomplish. It's very important to explain proper hair lengths and to manage expectations. I also have clients come in with a few days of growth and then I'll shave them and show proper techniques as well as discuss a game plan for on-going hair maintenance. This includes choosing the right type of shaver or clipper. 

Regarding pictures: SMP can be tricky to capture accurately due to light reflection off of the scalp. Phone cameras also have a way of bumping up or washing out contrast. 

Edited by hairthere
  • Like 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

4 hours ago, hairthere said:

I'd agree the problem here isn't your SMP job but your hair transplant and the hair length/style. You need to either grow it longer or shaved down with a zero guard so the SMP blends properly with the hair. I turn clients away if I think the expectations are unrealistic or if I feel there are other better options for them. Did your technician mention to you that you were better suited for a Shaved Look procedure?

When clients come to me for a procedure I'm always very thorough and explain the realties of what we can accomplish. It's very important to explain proper hair lengths and to manage expectations. I also have clients come in with a few days of growth and then I'll shave them and show proper techniques as well as discuss a game plan for on-going hair maintenance. This includes choosing the right type of shaver or clipper. 

Regarding pictures: SMP can be tricky to capture accurately due to light reflection off of the scalp. Phone cameras also have a way of bumping up or washing out contrast. 

I appreciate all of the feedback.  To clarify, I am satisfied with my transplant and my plan was always to regrow my hair after SMP; the double hairline is only temporary.  My concern is more about the quality of the SMP itself.  I was expecting it to resemble a buzz cut so that I could shave my head when the time comes but it doesn't appear that way.  Is it just my eyes/camera playing tricks on me?

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Approaching SMP should be no different than approaching the right surgeon for a hair transplant. You really need to do your homework and due diligence. This operator looks like a cowboy IMHO. 

Agreed and I didn't choose him blindly.  I've actually seen his work on a friend of mine and it looked phenomenal.  He has also won national awards and teaches SMP.  He's certainly a character but a nice guy in person.

I assumed that my result would look like my friend's but it doesn't, at least not to my eyes.  But my friend went in for a shaved look whereas I went in for density, so perhaps my expectations were incorrect.  I'm seeking validation on that.

I assumed that my result would look like my friend's but it doesn't, at least not to my eyes.  But my friend went in for a shaved look whereas I went in for density, so perhaps my expectations were incorrect.  I'm seeking validation on that.

Shave with a zero guard on a clipper (I like the Wahl Peanut) and it will look fine. 

• Like 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Could be the camera/lighting (smp is funny like that. But from first glance seeing those pics, I'm seeing migration and too deep of pressure. 

If you have a newerish camera phone, jack up the settings, and use your rear facing camera under natural light, this will clearly display the impressions for us .  

Edited by EnhancedScalp

On 12/22/2021 at 3:43 PM, EnhancedScalp said:

Could be the camera/lighting (smp is funny like that. But from first glance seeing those pics, I'm seeing migration and too deep of pressure. 

If you have a newerish camera phone, jack up the settings, and use your rear facing camera under natural light, this will clearly display the impressions for us .  

Here are some pics in natural, ambient lighting.  Not the clearest pics because the camera wants to focus on the hair instead of the ink.

IMG_20211224_124013__01.jpg

IMG_20211224_124702.jpg

IMG_20211224_124343.jpg

10 hours ago, hairman22 said:

the hair is too thick behind the hairline.

But the smo doesnt look good in that pic. Looks like paint. important even in density not to go too dark imo. Juts look for a suttle improvement.

Some people go for too much density

Thanks.  Interesting that you think it's too dark, I actually think it's a bit faded.