What happens if you put a graft on an existing graft where the hair have been pulled out (second hair transplant)

In two weeks a get a second hair transplant (+-200 grafts) to add density to my hairline. The previous transplant was 13 months ago. I worry about the following: yesterday I played with my little nephew (6 years old), while playing he pulled some of my hair out (ouch!). I guess 4-5 hair in my hairline. Definitely transplanted hairs.

Is it possible for my surgeon to see where the hairs have been pulled out? And what happens if he doesn't see it and place grafts on top of the pulled out hairs (not grafts of course)? Will the exisiting graft be transected and both not grow?

I can worry about the smallest things regarding my hair (transplant) so maybe you can ease my mind...or not haha.

Edited by alex85

• alex85 changed the title to What happens if you put a graft on an existing graft where the hair have been pulled out (second hair transplant)
1 hour ago, alex85 said:

In two weeks a get a second hair transplant (+-200 grafts) to add density to my hairline. The previous transplant was 13 months ago. I worry about the following: yesterday I played with my little nephew (6 years old), while playing he pulled some of my hair out (ouch!). I guess 4-5 hair in my hairline. Definitely transplanted hairs.

Is it possible for my surgeon to see where the hairs have been pulled out? And what happens if he doesn't see it and place grafts on top of the pulled out grafts? Will the exisiting graft be dissected and both not grow?

I can worry about the smallest things regarding my hair (transplant) so maybe you can ease my mind...or not haha.

Your nephew did not pull out your grafts I am pretty sure since that needs to be done surgically. He did pull out some hairs which is different than grafts. The hairs will have grown out again fine in two weeks.

Kids always like to pull hair 🤣

I believe you shall consult your HT surgeon about that , maybe wait a little more that 2 weeks to be sure hair is regrown and visible  . specially that you are having only a touch up of ~200 grafts 

also make sure that surgeon use proper magnification tools .

As far as i know , if surgeon make incision where an  old follicle exist  , that will cause transection and damage to existing graft "check at 1:15" , that risk can be minimized via using proper magnification tools . and you may ask your surgeon is it worth waiting for pulled follicles to regrow , or if he can identify them at this moment . 

I believe 4,5 hair will not make difference in cosmetic look even if you are planting low grafts "200" ..

Edited by H.K

• Administrators

If you had a hair transplant 13 months ago, there’s no way you’re gonna remove that hair permanently unless you remove it surgically. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

5 hairs is not going to matter a whole lot no matter what. So he does 205 grafts instead of 200. No big deal. As to whether the old ones will grow in, maybe they will and maybe they won't. I would guess at least 2 or 3 will grow back simply because it's highly unlikely to transect all 5 of the pulled out hairs perfectly enough to kill them all which is why it really doesn't matter. With that said, if you know the specific area where the hairs were pulled out you could mention it to the Dr and point out the spot and let him know if he sees any tiny hairs growing there then maybe assume those are good hairs regrowing rather than miniaturized hairs and leave that spot alone. Don't stress yourself out about it too much.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.