PRP After FUE

JoeFromFrisco

Hello everyone,

I just had a FUE transplant last week by Dr. Canales located in the Bay Area. They were able to get 3195 graphs and I was told I am a NW5. They recommended I would benefit from PRP or their “Epic PRP” which is Includes medications such as finasteride and minoxidil, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. 
Do you feel this necessary or even if this would work? I read reviews and seen YouTube videos of people saying they did not have any results.
The cost for four session would run at 3K for the epic + PRP or 2K for just PRP, four sessions. 

Thanks

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JoeFromFrisco said:

Hello everyone,

I just had a FUE transplant last week by Dr. Canales located in the Bay Area. They were able to get 3195 graphs and I was told I am a NW5. They recommended I would benefit from PRP or their “Epic PRP” which is Includes medications such as finasteride and minoxidil, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. 
Do you feel this necessary or even if this would work? I read reviews and seen YouTube videos of people saying they did not have any results.
The cost for four session would run at 3K for the epic + PRP or 2K for just PRP, four sessions. 

Thanks

Sounds more like epic rip off to me. Seems like the clinic just want you to keep paying some $ 

Unfortunately this Dr is not a good choice for many reasons, pop his name in the search bar and you will see what I mean, sorry we couldn’t guide you before you got your ht

Edited by JC71
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Sounds more like epic rip off to me. Seems like the clinic just want you to keep paying some $ 

Unfortunately this Dr is not a good choice for many reasons, pop his name in the search bar and you will see what I mean, sorry we couldn’t guide you before you got your ht

I did a search on this doctor before going through with the procedure and didn’t find that many negative comments about him. Your always going to have negative comments regardless because some people are hard to please.
 If you don’t mind me asking, what did you find? Did you do a search for Miguel Canales with Silicon Valley Hair Institute?

Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, JoeFromFrisco said:

I did a search on this doctor before going through with the procedure and didn’t find that many negative comments about him. Your always going to have negative comments regardless because some people are hard to please.
 If you don’t mind me asking, what did you find? Did you do a search for Miguel Canales with Silicon Valley Hair Institute?

Thanks. 

I have seen results and comments for years, here and other sources. Helped 1 person get a repair by another Dr. We are not “hard to please” here, just recognise good Drs/Clinics. If you check out the following you will get a idea of what I mean:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/search/?&q=Miguel &search_and_or=or

And more If you search for the surname:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/search/?&q=Canales &search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Edited by JC71
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

That is an absolute rip off alright. Save that money instead and put it towards any future surgery you may need. You can take Finasteride and minoxidil yourself for nothing by comparison to what they are selling!

Yeah I feel the same way. I rather save up for another transplant in a year from now if I have enough donor hairs. If not then I might put that money towards SMP which shouldn’t cost that much since I already had it done two years ago. I just need to retouch it up make it darker. 
All and all from what I see, I think the transplant went well. It’s only 8 days so I know it’s still early but I see so many hairs so far which I know will start to shed. Won’t know until 4-6 months. 

18 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Where did you find decent results ? Let’s see pics of your procedure please ? 🙏

From online views (google search) and pictures from his website. I just took a chance and I hope I don’t regret it. For now I won’t stress about it until it’s time to stress. 
I have attached a before and after photo of the top scalp. I still have a lot of scabbing going on. I had smp done so you will see that as well. 

A511C95C-E98F-4EEB-9D5A-317B22F2555E.jpeg

C2CFD947-1301-4A9E-BB5B-68F85CD4807E.jpeg

14 hours ago, JoeFromFrisco said:

From online views (google search) and pictures from his website. I just took a chance and I hope I don’t regret it. For now I won’t stress about it until it’s time to stress. 
I have attached a before and after photo of the top scalp. I still have a lot of scabbing going on. I had smp done so you will see that as well. 

A511C95C-E98F-4EEB-9D5A-317B22F2555E.jpeg

C2CFD947-1301-4A9E-BB5B-68F85CD4807E.jpeg

This is a big problem, people who go by Google reviews, the clinics know it so they just buy a couple of hundred 5 star ones. Not sure in this case in particular but its very common. You need to dig deeper to find the real reviews such as forums like this. 

That area will ATLEAST be 6500 grafts+, so 3195 will not do much, but you should see an improvement.

PRP is total bs, never take anyone serious who say you could benefit from PRP or Laser therapy, there is zero evidence it even does anything for hair growth.

23 minutes ago, JoeFromFrisco said:

No problem. I’ll take another one at the two week mark. 
ADF33160-CE01-4624-836B-6AE46AF24ADC.thumb.jpeg.36540dda50f8c9e6edd879ae3dc724d0.jpeg

4FEC8343-356F-4296-A9A9-BB5495861A94.jpeg

Hmm, your crown is dipping pretty low. Hope you are on Finasteride since its not so wide loss yet, you might be going towards Norwood 7 with that low crown dip.

When I see that crown dip, 6500 grafts will not be enough, you probably need somewhere like 9000+. Not sure your donor area will be enough.

image.png.b8bd70d45045f769429ad9dc09104036.png

Edited by digi23
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, digi23 said:

This is a big problem, people who go by Google reviews, the clinics know it so they just buy a couple of hundred 5 star ones. Not sure in this case in particular but its very common. You need to dig deeper to find the real reviews such as forums like this. 

That area will ATLEAST be 6500 grafts+, so 3195 will not do much, but you should see an improvement.

PRP is total bullshit, never take anyone serious who say you could benefit from PRP or Laser therapy, there is zero evidence it even does anything for hair growth.

Plasma rich protein is not bs there are multiple studies that show it releases growth factors that enhances tissues regeneration and healing. 

14 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

Plasma rich protein is not bullshit there are multiple studies that show it releases growth factors that enhances tissues regeneration and healing. 

Please send me a serious study, where it actually shows it does something to hair growth/hairloss. There is zero evidence in this. 

8 hours ago, digi23 said:

Please send me a serious study, where it actually shows it does something to hair growth/hairloss. There is zero evidence in this. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4622412/

"patients presented clinical improvement in the mean number of hairs, with a mean increase of 33.6 hairs in the target area and a mean increase in total hair density of 45.9 hairs per cm2 compared with baseline values. No side effects were noted during treatment. "

Dude you would have found that with a little Google search. you seem angry and bitter in every one of your posts for some reason. 

44 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

"patients presented clinical improvement in the mean number of hairs, with a mean increase of 33.6 hairs in the target area and a mean increase in total hair density of 45.9 hairs per cm2 compared with baseline values. No side effects were noted during treatment. "

Dude you would have found that with a little Google search. you seem angry and bitter in every one of your posts for some reason. 

Lol.

Just now, rambunctious said:

image.png.abc2843c8ccef66ac241dee6605a9175.png

There is a difference between being honest and being negative. PRP is not yet scientifically proven to do anything for hair, it helps with healing in tissue but is under investigation for hair. So you mean being positive is to say to Norwood 7s that they can have a full head of hair? I am here to try to help, not to light up your day. You seem like a troll aswell. 

11 minutes ago, digi23 said:

There is a difference between being honest and being negative. PRP is not yet scientifically proven to do anything for hair, it helps with healing in tissue but is under investigation for hair. So you mean being positive is to say to Norwood 7s that they can have a full head of hair? I am here to try to help, not to light up your day. You seem like a troll aswell. 

"not yet scientifically proven" Yet here i am providing you the same scientifically proven link again. 

The being positive remark had nothing to do with hair loss, it has to do with your toxic style of commenting to people's posts on this forum that has gone unchecked.  

• Administrators

Guys,

There's no need to de-rail the thread, please create your own thread.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I feel they did a good job but only time  will tell. I don’t have high expectations and I know I will not be able to get a full set of hair like I had in my teens-20’s. I also know I will need another transplant to cover the crown are and to add some density so hopefully I have enough donor hairs left. 

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, negative or positive. I will hold off on the PRP for now.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rambunctious said:

"not yet scientifically proven" Yet here i am providing you the same scientifically proven link again. 

The being positive remark had nothing to do with hair loss, it has to do with your toxic style of commenting to people's posts on this forum that has gone unchecked.  

Well if you believe one study makes something scientifically proven, I dont know what to tell you. You bascially google searched "prp scientifically proven" and took the first link and posted it. I am pretty sure, if you know anything about science studies, you know that it takes hundreds if not thousands of studies with the same outcome for something to be seriously accepted. There a few serious studies on PRP for hair, but it lacks a wider sample size in these studies. Its not like its doing any harm, of course its good to do everything you can to grow more hair if you are looking for it, but also the cost for PRP, how small of a difference it makes and how often you need to take it makes it a pretty bad option in my opinion.

3 hours ago, JoeFromFrisco said:

I feel they did a good job but only time  will tell. I don’t have high expectations and I know I will not be able to get a full set of hair like I had in my teens-20’s. I also know I will need another transplant to cover the crown are and to add some density so hopefully I have enough donor hairs left. 

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, negative or positive. I will hold off on the PRP for now.  

Yes you should just wait this one out an go from there. It is good to have healthy expectations, not everyone does. All the best to you. :)

To be fair, there really is minimal scientific evidence of its true value. It is however disingenuous to outright say there is no scientific evidence that it has any positive effect on hair or MPB, as there are some studies out there that do. The problem is that they're all pretty unreliable, small-scale and completely clinically insufficient to provide any evidence of it's positive use. 

I'm not saying that is doesn't work though, I think it probably does to some extent for some when prepared and administered in the most optimal way. A big problem for studies seems to be: what is PRP and what is the methodology? There is no standardisation across the board and many clinics do things in completely different ways. The way in which it is spun, machine used, for how long, what is added in afterwards and so on are all completely up to the practitioner. Doses are also administered in different amounts and there is no standard course of treatment so to speak.

The bigger problem in general is the cost to benefit ratio as PRP is extremely expensive for what it is. Thousands and thousands of dollars every year for something with no real data to back its efficacy when we have finasteride, minoxidil and then other more niche alternatives like RU and CB for much, much less just makes it seem like a crazy avenue to go down. If you've got money to burn, then sure, why not.

Here are a number of meta-analysis papers that cover hundreds of individual studies on PRP and pretty much state as much, as well as a video that actually covers what I've said in much greater detail and covers said studies below.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5803844/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31187167/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31187167/

• Like 1