Is it possible to transplant between these follicles?

I have been taking taking Finasteride 1mg daily for months. Assuming 1 year later that it does not improve my hair density or reduce my hair loss at all, is it even possible to transplant between the space for more density? Trust me when I said I used to have super thick hair just 2 years ago. Hair has been thinning since then. No vitamin deficiency either. 

I also do not plan to go on topical/oral dutasteride, neither can I get one from my country and I do not want to order online. I also have pre existing heart palpitations and both doctors advised not to use oral minoxidil. I used topical in the past for 1 year but it did nothing at all. RU58841 is out of the question, and I do not want to get SMP done for personal reasons. 

So if finasteride somehow doesn’t work even after 2 years of using it, is it possible to transplant between the follicles for more density, or is it super risky even with the best HT surgeons? How is my donor zone? I’m 25 years old. 

99B7EEEC-A669-489C-9544-DD50BD4A0716.jpeg

28B0ED87-95D5-46F5-B136-1E40BEE84B19.jpeg

944054D1-723B-4DCE-9AD1-C17319D08BD7.jpeg

4EC24DA4-AA82-4C2C-8C70-96E046AB9B25.jpeg

Edited by Joseph

• Administrators

You already asked this question. You don’t need surgery you have a full head of hair. Medication is your first and only step at this point. Please do not keep creating the same thread. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You already asked this question. You don’t need surgery you have a full head of hair. Medication is your first and only step at this point. Please do not keep creating the same thread. 

I really want a denser hair volume though. I had very thick hair just 2-3 years ago and have been shedding a lot of hair which caused my hair to become thinner. So far I am not responding well to finasteride as well. I want to know if HT is possible in the future especially if it becomes worse since I am more of a diffused thinner. Finasteride is pretty much the only option available for me at this point and I need a backup solution whichis HT if Fin doesn’t work out for me in the long run. 

Edited by Joseph

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

If there is possible HT option for my case, I would definitely opt for it and can go for the best HT surgeons that are able to pull it off. But I’m afraid it is a high risk kind of thing which why I enquired hoping if any experienced HT doctors will be able to provide any insights. My country (Singapore) literally has no decent HT doctors and ppl barely even do HT from where I come from. I definitely don’t trust their skills as well. If need to I am willing to fly out to whichever place that is able to do it. Also, I believe that hair transplant would be the most ideal to keep the hair since follicles from the donor zone are more DHT resistant, plus I am also on Finasteride now. I just want to have a backup plan in case Finasteride isn’t able to keep my native hairs at the top. Even my sister/mother have some visible balding which worries me since women’s natural DHT serum is 10x lower than men, which means even dutasteride won’t be enough. 

Edited by Joseph

1 hour ago, Joseph said:

If there is possible HT option for my case, I would definitely opt for it and can go for the best HT surgeons that are able to pull it off. But I’m afraid it is a high risk kind of thing which why I enquired hoping if any experienced HT doctors will be able to provide any insights. My country (Singapore) literally has no decent HT doctors and ppl barely even do HT from where I come from. I definitely don’t trust their skills as well. If need to I am willing to fly out to whichever place that is able to do it. Also, I believe that hair transplant would be the most ideal to keep the hair since follicles from the donor zone are more DHT resistant, plus I am also on Finasteride now. I just want to have a backup plan in case Finasteride isn’t able to keep my native hairs at the top. Even my sister/mother have some visible balding which worries me since women’s natural DHT serum is 10x lower than men, which means even dutasteride won’t be enough. 

There is no serious Dr who will accept you as a patient with hair like that. 

Only hairmills will accept you as HT candidate, as they have no principles when it's about money :) ...

Your donor is great, but it's too early for you, wait up to your 30-35y, then you'll have better situation to think about HT or not... Don't waste your donor area now...

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, Joseph said:

I really want a denser hair volume though.

Dude, you're a 25 year old man but you're sounding like a 15 year old boy. We all want thicker and better hair, obviously. But don't daft. Don't be greedy. You have a very good head of hair that doesn't require a HT. You may need one in the future, but you don't right now. Surgery should always be an absolute last resort. You need to get yourself together and start thinking straight here.

So far I am not responding well to finasteride as well.

Based on a few months? If you've made it a few months on finasteride without suffering any side effects then you're in a great position. You aren't going to know whether it's stabilised your hair loss after a few months. It's going to take a minimum of 6 months and realistically a year++ to monitor positive outcomes. Everything about your posts smack of impatience. Dealing with hair loss in the best and most strategic way is a marathon, not a sprint.

Keep taking the finasteride. In a few years, review the situation. You're in no rush, despite what you seem to think. No sane person wants to have a HT. They want to have hair - big difference. You already have hair!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Dude, you're a 25 year old man but you're sounding like a 15 year old boy. We all want thicker and better hair, obviously. But don't daft. Don't be greedy. You have a very good head of hair that doesn't require a HT. You may need one in the future, but you don't right now. Surgery should always be an absolute last resort. You need to get yourself together and start thinking straight here.

Based on a few months? If you've made it a few months on finasteride without suffering any side effects then you're in a great position. You aren't going to know whether it's stabilised your hair loss after a few months. It's going to take a minimum of 6 months and realistically a year++ to monitor positive outcomes. Everything about your posts smack of impatience. Dealing with hair loss in the best and most strategic way is a marathon, not a sprint.

Keep taking the finasteride. In a few years, review the situation. You're in no rush, despite what you seem to think. No sane person wants to have a HT. They want to have hair - big difference. You already have hair!

The reason why I’m sounding like this is because if Finasteride doesn’t work out well for me, means that I need to wait until I’m even further diffused in order to get a HT, which is honestly quite frustrating. It’s like wanting to take preemptive action, yet I can’t do anything about it and have to actually wait for my hair to fall out even more in order to get a HT. By then my self esteem and confidence would have hit rock bottom as well. Most people procrastinate and only start treatment and go for HT once they have lost most of their hair. But here I am, trying to be proactive and if Fin doesn’t work for me down the road, not only am I not able to get a HT in advance, I have to actually wait for further diffusion and let it become worse before going for a HT. Sounds ridiculous and frustrating for me. Also I have been on Fin for 4 months, and have dropped from baseline tremendously. I know about the shedding theory but even if I were to recover from it, I doubt I can even reach baseline. Just look at the difference. 

I started taking Fin as both sides of my family were balding at a young age, and I have been losing significantly way more hair compared to just 2 years ago. No vitamin deficiency, both dermatologists diagnosed as early onset of MPB. I have a balanced diet and don’t smoke or drink. Normal stress levels. 

6E1EF95F-3C73-478E-8C17-FC369DC3F590.jpeg

52E9DE7D-E257-45AE-91B4-E6C43442B28B.jpeg

Edited by Joseph

I mean, it's quite simple.  The answer is yes, a very good hair transplant doctor can give you added density.  

That said, I think a HT is really not worth it this early on.  Give it a few years.  And if you really do decide to do it, make sure you pick the best.  Hair transplants inbetween existing hairs are way harder to do than a normal hair transplant.  The risk of shock loss to existing hair is very real.  You don't want to add new hairs to your head, while losing native ones in the process.

Check out my journey here:

• Valued Contributor

The reason why I’m sounding like this is because if Finasteride doesn’t work out well for me, means that I need to wait until I’m even further diffused in order to get a HT, which is honestly quite frustrating. It’s like wanting to take preemptive action, yet I can’t do anything about it and have to actually wait for my hair to fall out even more in order to get a HT. By then my self esteem and confidence would have hit rock bottom as well. Most people procrastinate and only start treatment and go for HT once they have lost most of their hair. But here I am, trying to be proactive and if Fin doesn’t work for me down the road, not only am I not able to get a HT in advance, I have to actually wait for further diffusion and let it become worse before going for a HT. Sounds ridiculous and frustrating for me. Also I have been on Fin for 4 months, and have dropped from baseline tremendously. I know about the shedding theory but even if I were to recover from it, I doubt I can even reach baseline. Just look at the difference. 

I started taking Fin as both sides of my family were balding at a young age, and I have been losing significantly way more hair compared to just 2 years ago. No vitamin deficiency, both dermatologists diagnosed as early onset of MPB. I have a balanced diet and don’t smoke or drink. Normal stress levels. 

6E1EF95F-3C73-478E-8C17-FC369DC3F590.jpeg

52E9DE7D-E257-45AE-91B4-E6C43442B28B.jpeg

It would be 1000 times more frustrating to take “preemptive action” (a HT), damage the native hairs because of a senseless desire for more density when it isn’t necessary, make your situation worse and then have to deal with that, no?

Or suppose you get a HT this young, again unnecessarily, and then you rapidly lose more hair and need another HT sooner than you thought? How much money & hardship are you willing & able to go through in your 20’s? You’re just not thinking about this properly. 

The facts:

• your hair is fine & looks plenty dense and full. If undetectable levels of diffuse thinning is enough to make your confidence & self esteem hit rock bottom then it’s not your hair that you need to work on my friend. 

• you’ve not given finasteride anywhere near enough time to discover its efficacy (but it’s good that you’re on it)

• if you think a surgery is “preemptive” then you’re in the wrong headspace for surgery. Surgery is a last resort, not a first strike tactic

So relax, stick to the finasteride and remember it’s just hair. It’s not that big of a deal! Certainly not anywhere near enough of a deal to get surgery at 25 on a full head of hair with all the risks, costs & pitfalls it entails in your case. 

• Valued Contributor

If I could go back to being 25 today and have the hair that you have AND have the options of finasteride, etc then I wouldn't even be posting on a hair loss forum in all honesty. Hey I totally get where you are coming from. However it can take up to two years to see the full benefit of finasterides results. Stay with the plan you are on now.

• Like 2