Failed hair transplant - what can I do now ?

• Valued Contributor
22 hours ago, Beno99 said:

Thanks!

I was worried at month 4 because many of the results I’ve seen on YouTube and elsewhere showed many guys with good growth that early already. The clinic told me to wait 12 months to see the final result but I was still scared by how bad it looked. Just hope it gets better from now on.

regarding SMP, I don’t think I have to wait 12 months to get it done in the donor area since the hairs that got taken from there won’t grow back anyway. It’s just frustrating because I can no longer get a proper undercut without the scars being visible 😬I think I will let them grow out on the sides and back till I find a place to do an SMP.

I made the decision to not take Finasteride as the side effects that many get from them are things I’ve already experienced and I don’t want that to happen again. I’m aware of the risks about not taking it, that I might have to do another transplant in some years but I’m ok with that.

Wait until the end of twelve months. You may not need SMP.

I think your hair looks better when you brush it side to side verses straight back…also, IMHO it would help visually to have a very small amount of single hair grafts added to stagger your hairline so it’s not as symmetrical…just my opinion.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 hours ago, gillenator said:

I think your hair looks better when you brush it side to side verses straight back…also, IMHO it would help visually to have a very small amount of single hair grafts added to stagger your hairline so it’s not as symmetrical…just my opinion.

Thanks! I hope to be able to try out different hairstyles in the future in case the density improves. Cause if I brush or style them back the lack of density at the front gets visible unfortunately. Not sure if I can except much change but it would be great.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Beno99 said:

Not sure if I can except much change but it would be great.

Dude! Again you are at the BEGINNING of the growth stage (and you are way ahead of the pack already). You would sooner find an honest man in parliament than see your growth ending here at four months!!! All the best!

• Like 2

Good one!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:02 PM, Beno99 said:

Thanks!

I was worried at month 4 because many of the results I’ve seen on YouTube and elsewhere showed many guys with good growth that early already. The clinic told me to wait 12 months to see the final result but I was still scared by how bad it looked. Just hope it gets better from now on.

regarding SMP, I don’t think I have to wait 12 months to get it done in the donor area since the hairs that got taken from there won’t grow back anyway. It’s just frustrating because I can no longer get a proper undercut without the scars being visible 😬I think I will let them grow out on the sides and back till I find a place to do an SMP.

I made the decision to not take Finasteride as the side effects that many get from them are things I’ve already experienced and I don’t want that to happen again. I’m aware of the risks about not taking it, that I might have to do another transplant in some years but I’m ok with that.

I've had 3 HTs, and I've never had any growth until 4 months. It's always taken 5-6 months to see any visibly growth for me. The growth is very relative. Some people see it at 4 months, some at 6 and some even later. In fact, I'd say you're lucky to see so much growth so early on!

Relax, wait for a year and see how it goes. It doesn't seem like your results will be bad at all. It's just the beginning, you have 8 more months for it to improve!

By the way, I'm just curious why you had to do 4,000 grafts for your grade of baldness. You seem like a NW 2/3. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AJ_HT said:

I've had 3 HTs, and I've never had any growth until 4 months. It's always taken 5-6 months to see any visibly growth for me. The growth is very relative. Some people see it at 4 months, some at 6 and some even later. In fact, I'd say you're lucky to see so much growth so early on!

Relax, wait for a year and see how it goes. It doesn't seem like your results will be bad at all. It's just the beginning, you have 8 more months for it to improve!

By the way, I'm just curious why you had to do 4,000 grafts for your grade of baldness. You seem like a NW 2/3. 

Yeah I guess you are right. It was just frustrating seeing guys online posting great results at 4 months only, it made me fear that mine was a failure since I hardly had any growth by that time. I try to chill and wait it out but it’s not easy for me ngl. I’m already annoyed by the fact I can no longer cut my hair short on the sides without the scars being visible, now imagine if all those grafts won’t grow and were taken away for nothing. I still have this fear. 

I was surprised too that 4000 grafts were used as I expected less. 2500 were used for the hairline+temples and the other 1500 for the mid scalp.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Beno99 said:

Yeah I guess you are right. It was just frustrating seeing guys online posting great results at 4 months only, it made me fear that mine was a failure since I hardly had any growth by that time.

I think online results posted around the 4 month mark are going to be somewhat skewed towards the early growers because if you have good growth at an early date then you want to tell everyone how great it's going, but if you don't have much (or any) growth yet, then you just wait another month or two because there's nothing to show yet. Of course some people post monthly anyway, but there are going to be a lot of people who simply skip posting because there's no change. When people get some noticeable results is when they tend to post more.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:08 PM, Beno99 said:

Thanks! I hope to be able to try out different hairstyles in the future in case the density improves. Cause if I brush or style them back the lack of density at the front gets visible unfortunately. Not sure if I can except much change but it would be great.

It would be nice to see more pics once your procedure has fully matured.

Gillenator

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, gillenator said:

It would be nice to see more pics once your procedure has fully matured.

I second this^

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...