Hair transplant reversal advice

CreamyLogan

Hi all

I want to see if there are any of you out there that share a story similar to mine.

I’ve had an FUE hair transplant 4 years ago. I was really happy with it but I can no longer take finisteride. I stopped taking the miracle drug about a year after my surgery and my hair has continued on its natural course of being a little thin up top.

I also cannot take rogain.

my question is: what options have worked well for you if you decided to remove your transplanted hair? 

A surgical procedure to relocate the transplanted hairs may cause shock loss so I’m not sure if I’ll need to jump back on the medication to stabilise any potential shock loss if this method worked for you.

im open to electrolysis. Did anyone use this method? Did it leave any scarring?

Again, I don’t regret the surgery, it’s just unfortunate I cannot take the pill any more (personal reasons).

I appreciate any help.

5 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

I’m confused as to why you’d reverse the surgery. Why not just shave your head? Presumably you’d do that anyway if you hadn’t had the HT and were going bald?

I’ve had a hair transplant (hairline and temples). My issue is I am thinning behind the hair transplant so I want to remove the transplanted hair and embrace the shaved down look.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@CreamyLogan I had a very similar experience. However mine was made worse because my hair transplant was going back to the mid 80's. I had those horrible 'punch graft' doll's hair transplants along my hairline and deep back into the hairline temple. On top of that I had horrible scars in the donor area that makes an FUT scar look good. Back then the concept of transplanted single grafts was not around. So to remove the 'plugs' the only way was by excision of the grafts in strips over several surgeries with a plastic surgeon. This has left me with basically an FUT scar along my hairline which I have posted on the forum several times. Your best bet is to look at our recommended surgeons who specialize in repair work. Yours is a common repair but mainly because the hairline has been created far to low. It may take a couple of passes to remove all the grafts but it can be done. What I did was to wear a hair piece for 25 years. Then five years ago I had SMP to camouflage the scars both in the donor area and to attempt to hide the scar that runs horizontally along my hairline. If you have had FUE then your results will be much better and so much easier to remedy. SMP could be an option to add but this is entirely up to you. All the best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CreamyLogan said:

I’ve had a hair transplant (hairline and temples). My issue is I am thinning behind the hair transplant so I want to remove the transplanted hair and embrace the shaved down look.

You can do that without reversing your HT

1 minute ago, CreamyLogan said:

To just shave and not reverse it you mean?

You can just shave, but depending on how light your skin is contrasted with how dark and thick your hair is there could be a 'shadow' effect where people can see your balding pattern even when you shave all the way down to the skin. SMP can blend everything to conceal that, and having the hair up along the front of your head where your face is will help make the SMP look better, give it a more '3D' realism. You got to be careful with SMP though just like hair transplants, if not more, make sure you go to a top reputable practitioner. Like @Gatsby, he went to one of the best. She's in Australia but he's mentioned before if you reach out to her she can also help with recommendations closer to you.

Also, you mentioned electrolysis, that would get rid of the 'shadow' effect that your existing hair may leave under the skin too. But it wouldn't help conceal your transplant scarring, but hopefully your scar tissue color and skin color are not that much different so its not that visible. SMP would help with the scar concealment too.

But if you want to consider the electrolysis path more this guy posted some videos about the series of sessions he went through for that. He just got it all destroyed so he doesn't even have to shave anymore.

• Like 1

Just shave it. Having a little bit of dark shade in the hairline after you shave it not bad as it gives your face a profile. I have seen many people who bald from crown and top but still have some hairline so it is not completely unnatural to have a hairline but bald scalp and if you shave it it will not be bad. Electrolysis has its own good and bad but it is still a procedure and will cost and from what I know even with electrolysis its not like once done all done. It may need follow-up procedure after few years just like SMP.

7 hours ago, TEXAN35 said:

Just shave it. Having a little bit of dark shade in the hairline after you shave it not bad as it gives your face a profile. I have seen many people who bald from crown and top but still have some hairline so it is not completely unnatural to have a hairline but bald scalp and if you shave it it will not be bad. Electrolysis has its own good and bad but it is still a procedure and will cost and from what I know even with electrolysis its not like once done all done. It may need follow-up procedure after few years just like SMP.

What are the bad sides of electrolysis? I think I will shave in time.  I’m just planning for the future. Thanks for your response.

Why not get another HT to improve on what you already got?  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

On 10/7/2021 at 3:36 AM, CreamyLogan said:

What are the bad sides of electrolysis? I think I will shave in time.  I’m just planning for the future. Thanks for your response.

Just like any procedure if done by good technician the risk is not huge but I have heard people having discoloration spots but I guess thats rare.  Also sometimes it needs another touch up so more money . I would not rush into doing something which is permanent. If have to spend money and donor not bad why not spend in getting another one done to make it little better. The procedure has improved so much in quality these days

• 8 months later...
On 10/6/2021 at 3:26 PM, ciaus said:

You can just shave, but depending on how light your skin is contrasted with how dark and thick your hair is there could be a 'shadow' effect where people can see your balding pattern even when you shave all the way down to the skin. SMP can blend everything to conceal that, and having the hair up along the front of your head where your face is will help make the SMP look better, give it a more '3D' realism.

Do you have examples of this that you can share?

@ciaus

Edited by JimKan1