Canadian willing to travel - Looking for a shortlist of recommended doctors

Hi I am a 33 year Canadian and have been losing hair since my early 20s. Still scouring the forums to create a shortlist of doctors to reach out to.

I am a cost-conscious while acknowledging that you get what you pay for. 

I am in Toronto and prefer not to travel as far as Asia. was considering Turkey and Portugal for now.

Norwood 4-5. Also not on any medication at the moment. 

14 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Also check out this thread: 

This is a nice resource @JohnAC71
One key point that I believe should be added for FUE surgery is who performs the punching of grafts. Several clinics here are detailed as techs place the grafts which is industry standard, but without any reference to if the doctor will punch all grafts and make recipient sites, which I believe is a key detail.

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

When I was in Istanbul at elithair, I met a guy who travelled from America to this clinic. 
I suppose this shows professional quality if he chose a clinic so far away in the end.  I'm only 3 weeks op so I can't say much but I recommend researching on YouTube. :)

1 hour ago, ZeoWorks said:

When I was in Istanbul at elithair, I met a guy who travelled from America to this clinic. 
I suppose this shows professional quality if he chose a clinic so far away in the end.  I'm only 3 weeks op so I can't say much but I recommend researching on YouTube. :)

YouTube isn’t the place to research, what people need is full patient posted journeys posted on forums such as this. 

15 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

YouTube isn’t the place to research, what people need is full patient posted journeys posted on forums such as this. 

You get a lot of vlogs following others journeys on youtube though. 

1 minute ago, ZeoWorks said:

You get a lot of vlogs following others journeys on youtube though. 

Best results are ones which are full 12 month journeys (even beyond) here we have the good and not so good ! Very open and transparent. It’s good to get the forums collective feedback throughout. We don’t just have the best or “cherry picked” results. Ultimately though the more research people do the better ! 👍🏽

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raphael84 said:

This is a nice resource @JohnAC71
One key point that I believe should be added for FUE surgery is who performs the punching of grafts. Several clinics here are detailed as techs place the grafts which is industry standard, but without any reference to if the doctor will punch all grafts and make recipient sites, which I believe is a key detail.

True. I could mention this to @Portugal25as he is the originator/creator of this valuable resource. 👍🏽

On 9/30/2021 at 12:30 PM, ZeoWorks said:

This does not necessarily mean that it is a quality clinic if USA guy travels to TR, but it's often cause low cost clinics make attractive offers, like 1.5-2k euros for any amount of grafts, and then people from whole world, based on social networks - fb,inst,yt without much checking clinics, doctors who perform or not at all doctors, run to visit such clinics, and then after few months claim about fail HT... I don't say about that clinic "elithair" is such kind clinics, just say about view of distance clinic - patient, isn't major reason to judge is good or not.

Many people travel to Eugenix - India, but that clinics by it's patients proved good work, and people worldwide travel to their clinic, even so far for many people, but there will always be people to weigh what's more important them price or result, distance, or whatever, some people if at the moment not in budget, will wait to collect needed amount and will do it in 1-2y, who only requests and insist to quality. About these things need much think, and always choose quality above all, by my opinion...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackislback said:

This does not necessarily mean that it is a quality clinic if USA guy travels to TR, but it's often cause low cost clinics make attractive offers, like 1.5-2k euros for any amount of grafts, and then people from whole world, based on social networks - fb,inst,yt without much checking clinics, doctors who perform or not at all doctors, run to visit such clinics, and then after few months claim about fail HT... I don't say about that clinic "elithair" is such kind clinics, just say about view of distance clinic - patient, isn't major reason to judge is good or not.

Many people travel to Eugenix - India, but that clinics by it's patients proved good work, and people worldwide travel to their clinic, even so far for many people, but there will always be people to weigh what's more important them price or result, distance, or whatever, some people if at the moment not in budget, will wait to collect needed amount and will do it in 1-2y, who only requests and insist to quality. About these things need much think, and always choose quality above all, by my opinion...

Agreed 👍🏽 People will travel according to budget. Medical Tourism is such a massive industry. On one hand it’s possible to get a really good Dr/Clinic with a very good worldwide reputation, but travel is no way of assuring a good procedure. Here in the Uk for example we have a handful of options that are any good. But some excellent European options which are actually better Drs (IMO) and actually more affordable! 

12 minutes ago, blackislback said:

Fair analysis sir. :)
Prior to going to Turkey, I never heard of the term "hair mill" before.  I can see why it's a lottery, especially when technicians are doing the surgery itself.
The research I did on elithair was the reason why I chose the clinic personally, with of course money being a huge factor also.

I'm going to log my progress here on the forum for some honest feedback on the clinic in question!  Regardless of outcome.
I like the open discussions that are on this forum, it's a great environment to be in when discussing hair loss. 

Edited by ZeoWorks
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 6:58 PM, Srk said:

Hi I am a 33 year Canadian and have been losing hair since my early 20s. Still scouring the forums to create a shortlist of doctors to reach out to.

I am a cost-conscious while acknowledging that you get what you pay for. 

I am in Toronto and prefer not to travel as far as Asia. was considering Turkey and Portugal for now.

Norwood 4-5. Also not on any medication at the moment. 

@Srkhow is your research going ? 

36 minutes ago, ZeoWorks said:

Fair analysis sir. :)
Prior to going to Turkey, I never heard of the term "hair mill" before.  I can see why it's a lottery, especially when technicians are doing the surgery itself.
The research I did on elithair was the reason why I chose the clinic personally, with of course money being a huge factor also.

I'm going to log my progress here on the forum for some honest feedback on the clinic in question!  Regardless of outcome.
I like the open discussions that are on this forum, it's a great environment to be in when discussing hair loss. 

Me too, i didn't know much about those "hair mill" clinics, but thanks to this great forum, learned a lot about HT matter, earlier just was silent reader, and then decided participate to forum and signed to forum few days ago, and by help of many nice members here like @Egy, @JohnAC71, @MachoVato , Melvin-admin, very grateful them and all other members who share their experiences, pre and post-op experience, opinions, etc. ,

Yes, almost like lottery such type clinics, as low skilled technicians who are low paid, and clinics take bigger amount, then difficult expect well results, if such guys do 20x surgeries per day, without much monitoring of main doctor-doctors. HLC do more than 1, but they have more doctors, more monitoring, etc. , there is way do more and quality, but it request more well skilled staff - experienced doctors and it leads to more finance resources spending, but many clinics dont like much spend, and just watch on this as ht tourism :) - business of mass production, with dont care about low quality... As they invest more in marketing, advertising than in doctors :) , as marketing less cost :) ...

Yes, i don't doubt in your research and your choice, your thread-results will say enough about it, and you'll be good example for someone choose them ;) . And absolutely understand you about budget side, most of people unfortunately must find balance between finance and quality, and best in such cases find some middle :) .

Nice by you that decide share your experience, it will help much other people, and sure will be good for clinic too if good results, wish you to be BEST results and that you are satisfied with results at the end ;) .

Yes, this forum definetely 1 of rare where you can discuss openly, about any concern, failed, successfull HT, any theme, and that's probably possible cause  good Administration of forum, who not allow some hair mills clinis or their consultants to influent on forum disussions, and that not allow money buy their way leading forum, that's why HRN is worlwide known as good source of HT knowledge, objective reviews, opinions.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 12:29 AM, blackislback said:

Me too, i didn't know much about those "hair mill" clinics, but thanks to this great forum, learned a lot about HT matter, earlier just was silent reader, and then decided participate to forum and signed to forum few days ago, and by help of many nice members here like @Egy, @JohnAC71, @MachoVato , Melvin-admin, very grateful them and all other members who share their experiences, pre and post-op experience, opinions, etc. ,

Yes, almost like lottery such type clinics, as low skilled technicians who are low paid, and clinics take bigger amount, then difficult expect well results, if such guys do 20x surgeries per day, without much monitoring of main doctor-doctors. HLC do more than 1, but they have more doctors, more monitoring, etc. , there is way do more and quality, but it request more well skilled staff - experienced doctors and it leads to more finance resources spending, but many clinics dont like much spend, and just watch on this as ht tourism :) - business of mass production, with dont care about low quality... As they invest more in marketing, advertising than in doctors :) , as marketing less cost :) ...

Yes, i don't doubt in your research and your choice, your thread-results will say enough about it, and you'll be good example for someone choose them ;) . And absolutely understand you about budget side, most of people unfortunately must find balance between finance and quality, and best in such cases find some middle :) .

Nice by you that decide share your experience, it will help much other people, and sure will be good for clinic too if good results, wish you to be BEST results and that you are satisfied with results at the end ;) .

Yes, this forum definetely 1 of rare where you can discuss openly, about any concern, failed, successfull HT, any theme, and that's probably possible cause  good Administration of forum, who not allow some hair mills clinis or their consultants to influent on forum disussions, and that not allow money buy their way leading forum, that's why HRN is worlwide known as good source of HT knowledge, objective reviews, opinions.

A problem with this balance between budget and quality is that balance can cost you like 10x times the price you initially paid to repair if you get the girl/guy who worked at a local hospital 3 weeks ago and now do hair transplants as a technician. Say you pay 2000 euros for 4000 grafts at X hairmill and you can pay the affordable Dr Demirsoy approx 5000 euros for the same amount of grafts and know you will not get overharvested, you will likely have a good result, you will be in good hands during the whole surgery with the Dr having full control, you will not have 100 double grafts in the hairline, and 50 more points that I dont need to write.

It is not a very tough choice to make, if you can save up 2000 euros I am sure you can save up 5000, just need to wait some more months.

Edited by digi23

Since you quoted me, I don't think you read what I wrote with enough attention, I didn't write anywhere that people should choose hair-mill clinics / dr, but that it is unfortunately a reality nowdays, that people do often such mistakes, because of financial problems.

And if you read my post you'll see that I suggested clinics like HLC, and if you've been on the forum longer, then you know that HLC in Turkey is at the very top of clinics, like dr. Pekiner, dr. Bicer, dr. Kevser, dr. Demirsoy and several others, without saying anywhere that someone should choose because of the limited finances, clinic like Dr. Serkan Aygin, Asmed - dr. Koray Erdogan, dr. Emrah Cinik, and hundreds more such low-level clinics, where the main point is on profit, and only profit, and where patients are only numbers, and doctors are more painters than surgeons, where they come for 5-10 minutes to meet the patient, draw a hairstyle and they disappear after the money is taken, and so with mass-production they sell stories "we are the best clinic, our results are 90-95% success, etc. etc."  And such clinics take only attention, if client is some youtube guy, influencer or famous person from some area, then doctors do HT, instead technicians, otherwise mostly low-skilled, low-paid technician do most of HT, and doctors are there just to make nice smile, and 5-10m spend with patients, as no way 1x doctor spent in 1 day, for 15-20 patients much time.

Far from it, to suggest to someone to choose hair-mill clinics, point of my post was that this is unfortunately happening in reality today, which is sad, and that it is always better to wait, eve 1-2g and collect those extra 2-3k or whatever euros if there is a problem, and then do HT at quality clinic / dr.

10 minutes ago, blackislback said:

Since you quoted me, I don't think you read what I wrote with enough attention, I didn't write anywhere that people should choose hair-mill clinics / dr, but that it is unfortunately a reality nowdays, that people do often such mistakes, because of financial problems.

And if you read my post you'll see that I suggested clinics like HLC, and if you've been on the forum longer, then you know that HLC in Turkey is at the very top of clinics, like dr. Pekiner, dr. Bicer, dr. Kevser, dr. Demirsoy and several others, without saying anywhere that someone should choose because of the limited finances, clinic like Dr. Serkan Aygin, Asmed - dr. Koray Erdogan, dr. Emrah Cinik, and hundreds more such low-level clinics, where the main point is on profit, and only profit, and where patients are only numbers, and doctors are more painters than surgeons, where they come for 5-10 minutes to meet the patient, draw a hairstyle and they disappear after the money is taken, and so with mass-production they sell stories "we are the best clinic, our results are 90-95% success, etc. etc."  And such clinics take only attention, if client is some youtube guy, influencer or famous person from some area, then doctors do HT, instead technicians, otherwise mostly low-skilled, low-paid technician do most of HT, and doctors are there just to make nice smile, and 5-10m spend with patients, as no way 1x doctor spent in 1 day, for 15-20 patients much time.

Far from it, to suggest to someone to choose hair-mill clinics, point of my post was that this is unfortunately happening in reality today, which is sad, and that it is always better to wait, eve 1-2g and collect those extra 2-3k or whatever euros if there is a problem, and then do HT at quality clinic / dr.

Yes mostly I believe its not enough research being done by the patient, its not really the money. It is difficult because when I was planning to do a HT myself I got a recommendation from my hairdresser for some hair mill in Turkey but then as always I decided to dive down deep into this and after a while I found this forum + some other forums. Usually I think people look at Google reviews and think wow they got 4.8 och 5 of thousands of reviews, which was my initial thought aswell, then they dont think much more and just book because of that.

Edited by digi23

Yes, in all my posts if you check, i never suggested anyone to choose those hair mill clinics, where such clinics by naming clinics with "dr. XXXX"  results that people think at such clinics really will get HT by doctor-surgeon, and reality is will get it by low skilled technician + lowe paid, low experienced, at all not ok any technician do most of job, specially important parts like extraction and opening channels. Sure at "top" clinics, technicians do part of job, as someone need assist doctor,as it's huge job, but point is that whole time is under control of doctor, or most of time...

Yes, i know about such cases, my haridresses suggested me too some hair mill clinics in TR :) , sure said thanks , but decide research further, was near almost 2-3 hair mill clinics to choose, but fortunately found this great forum, which helped me much to make difference hair mill vs non hair mill clinics, etc. , and now on road to find solid clinic...

But in many cases people are unfortunately limited with money too, as not in all countries solid finance situations at people, like in EU, and then later by wrong choise of  hair mill x complications appear....

Yes, Greviews, Trustpilot , etc. many people take as reference of good clinics, then inst, fb, yt where can see only 2 photos before/after, where you can't know is it real patient, or some random photos stolen from other websites, soc. networs, etc. , at beginning i did same, checked Greviews, trustpilot, but when saw x reviews with 1 post, or same names x times, or some copy-paste reviews, realized it's mostly fake, and even at quora, reddit, can be some fakes... So most reliable place to find solid clinics is  forums with real threads, where posted 1-12m photos, and specially forums like HRN where no paid threads, where freedom of anyone post his thread without worry to be modified, deleted, etc. even it's thread about "top" clinics, or recommended here, that makes difference HRN vs rest of forums, at many forums admins, mods are paid to delete threads where reviews not so well, as hair mill clinics participate as donators of such forums...

I still didn't perform my 1st HT, soon plan it, and whole time read this forum, will try some other, and still research, and will need some time to make my decision for my 1st HT, hope will not make mistake... Planned choose some of Spain - Lorezno,Freitas,Ferreira, Beligum - Feduini, Bisanga, PT - Pinto clinics/dr, but as there too long waiting list in this moment at most of clinics recommended here from these 3 countries is waiting like 12-18 months, and cause of my private life situation-complications, business projects, will need choose some clinic in Turkey, one of these top mentioned previously like HLC, dr. Pekiner, dr. Bicer, Kevser, Demirsoy etc.

Only what still is strange for me, that even most of these "top" clinics, don't do analyze of skin scalp, analyze of donor area by dermatologist or their deeper analyze like do dr. Bisanga, dr. Ferduini, dr. Lorenzo, and think in Turkey dr. Pekiner and HLC do deeper analyze, and not accept patients if after analyze realize not good donor area, and suggest some medication like finestaride, etc. and then to come again to check donor area, rest of "top" clinics mostly dont do this.

• Like 1

If you're in Canada then go to Hasson & Wong, it's a no-brainer.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group