Opinions on temporal peaks

I'm struggling to decide whether or not include temporal peaks in my upcoming surgery.

To be honest they've not really receded much if at all, they seem the same as they've been since I can remember and they're 'ok' overall. I'm fine with the left side, but the right has always been a bit of a weird shape in that it sort of slants in on itself in the middle and is kind of bow shaped rather than being a straight angular line if that makes any sense. I was thinking of just asking for a very small amount of grafts to straighten it out slightly (on this side only), maybe 50-100.

I will be wearing my hair as short as I reasonably can without seeing obvious scarring though and there is nearly always a visible difference at very short lengths with transplanted hair in the temple points in my opinion, so this puts me off massively. 

I'm leaning towards just leaving it alone, thoughts? Has anyone else been in a similar position and regretted it after for the reasons I've mentioned etc?

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

Edited by JDEE0

It is never a good idea to just address one side, (in case you do decide to work on the temporal areas.  Eventually the same thing will happen to the other side. From the angle of the photos you posted it seems you have little to no loss elsewhere.  Perhaps you are just maturing your hairline.  I would leave it alone for now and consider medical therapy to help you with retention.

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

12 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

It is never a good idea to just address one side, (in case you do decide to work on the temporal areas.  Eventually the same thing will happen to the other side. From the angle of the photos you posted it seems you have little to no loss elsewhere.  Perhaps you are just maturing your hairline.  I would leave it alone for now and consider medical therapy to help you with retention.

Thanks for the reply - just to clarify - I'm talking about the temple peaks/triangles and not the frontal-tempral areas that have obvious recession.  

Yeah, my hair is all good everywhere else, it's just the areas on either side of the forelock that I've ever experienced hair loss with.

It's MPB, beyond a mature hairline, I'm NW3 territory for sure. And yeah I've been on fin for a number of years now. although my hairloss didn't noticeably change for a good few years before starting the meds for what its worth. 

and yeah I know it's generally probably best to do things uniformly on both sides, but as I say I don't really know if it's anything to do with MPB as it seems to have been this way before I lost hair, I could be wrong of course though, but it seems that way from pics.

Edited by JDEE0

You can see what I did for my temples. Click the Bisanga link in my signature.

It was 6 weeks ago so there's nothing to show at this point. But I kinda regret not getting more grafts. I will likely get a mini transplant to fill them in more later next year, perhaps 50-75 grafts... probably by Dr. Mwamba in his Atlanta location. 

Edited by MachoVato

4 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

You can see what I did for my temples. Click the Bisanga link in my signature.

It was 6 weeks ago so there's nothing to show at this point. But I kinda regret not going more grafts to close them a little more. I will likely get a mini transplant just for them later next year, perhaps 50-75 grafts... probably by Dr. Mwamba in his Atlanta location. 

Yeah, I have followed your procedure with Bisanga, just had another look and you're right - pretty much exactly what I was thinking in terms of doing to mine.

I think yours are gonna look pretty good though, I don't know if there will be the need to add more, but I get the temptation!

Do you usually/are you going to keep shorter hair on the sides - a 1 guard or below? I wouldn't be so bothered, but I'll be keeping my sides and back as short as can after and I don't want to regret it.

4 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Your left temple looks unaffected by MPB - your right temple, potentially, or potentially just a different shape naturally. A good surgeon should be able to refine your right temple point, to closer match your left. Who are you going to? 

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. looking back at old photos it does seem that it was always a bit of a different shape.

I'm going to Bruno Pinto in a few months time - estimated at 2000-2400 grafts.

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Nice choice of Dr 👌👍🏽

Cheers John - yeah, he does really good work. Hopefully the one pass will sort me out for now and I can coast along for a good while without needing to return!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Yeah, I have followed your procedure with Bisanga, just had another look and you're right - pretty much exactly what I was thinking in terms of doing to mine.

I think yours are gonna look pretty good though, I don't know if there will be the need to add more, but I get the temptation!

Do you usually/are you going to keep shorter hair on the sides - a 1 guard or below? I wouldn't be so bothered, but I'll be keeping my sides and back as short as can after and I don't want to regret it.

Yeah, it'll depend on the results. But a sub-100 graft procedure will be cheap and easy. And I won't have to shave much since those grafts will likely come from nape of the neck.

This is how I wear my hair usually. Like a 0.5 on the bottom and around the ears...

donor.thumb.jpg.4a5a858a73c7bc6d43cac65f75dfcaff.jpg

20 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

Yeah, it'll depend on the results. But a sub-100 graft procedure will be cheap and easy. And I won't have to shave much since those grafts will likely come from nape of the neck.

This is how I wear my hair usually. Like a 0.5 on the bottom and around the ears...

donor.thumb.jpg.4a5a858a73c7bc6d43cac65f75dfcaff.jpg

Looks good, can't see any signs of surgery, but yeah I'll be interested to see how your peaks look at this length when they grow in. I imagine they'll blend well with such a small amount grafted, can't see them standing out much.

And yeah, it would be a very simple and convenient procedure so I see why you'd want to do it if you felt the need

6 minutes ago, digi23 said:

Your temple peaks look alot like mine, will be interesting to follow how Dr Bruno Pinto is approaching your situation. Following! 🙂

image.png.06fc9d5cd1bae5408001a3165af207c1.png

Yeah I remember remarking that I thought we had similar hair characteristics and level of loss when you first posted, I'm also following your procedure with Yaman, I'm sure it's gonna turn out great!

13 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Yeah I remember remarking that I thought we had similar hair characteristics and level of loss when you first posted, I'm also following your procedure with Yaman, I'm sure it's gonna turn out great!

I think you might have a little bit better temples than me not sure? Thats what I was wondering aswell if Yaman could just have worked on the hairline maybe move it down 1cm more than fill in the temples because temple work is so difficult, so will be interesting how Dr Bruno Pinto does it. 

Edited by digi23

5 minutes ago, digi23 said:

This was Yaman approach

assaa.png

I don't know if mine are any better than yours were, always hard to compare 2 different people, but fairly similar cases overall I suppose. Maybe my frontal forelock is ever so slightly lower down on my forehead, less than a cm though probably, and I think my recession is a tad worse/deeper than yours went looking at the 2 next to each other.

I would like that approach from an aesthetic point of view, my main worry though like I say would be that this amount of transplanted hair in the temple points would be noticeable against native hair when short, and I don't plan on having long hair on the sides and back any time soon! Also, my temple points were never that far in/my forehead was never that narrow at any point in my life, so it's not as if it's even 'restoring' things for me at that point.

3 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

I don't know if mine are any better than yours were, always hard to compare 2 different people, but fairly similar cases overall I suppose. Maybe my frontal forelock is ever so slightly lower down on my forehead, less than a cm though probably, and I think my recession is a tad worse/deeper than yours went looking at the 2 next to each other.

I would like that approach from an aesthetic point of view, my main worry though like I say would be that this amount of transplanted hair in the temple points would be noticeable against native hair when short, and I don't plan on having long hair on the sides and back any time soon! Also, my temple points were never that far in/my forehead was never that narrow at any point in my life, so it's not as if it's even 'restoring' things for me at that point.

Yes this is what I am afraid of aswell abit when I researched temple work after the transplant, but I just trusted the Dr in the approach. Now afterwards I have been thinking alot that maybe he should not have touched the temples at all just do hairline work. 

Although when I look at my temples I think in my situation the temple hair is very much the same as my hair on top. In your case it seems that your temple hair is much more like finer nape hair. 

2 minutes ago, digi23 said:

Yes this is what I am afraid of aswell abit when I researched temple work after the transplant, but I just trusted the Dr in the approach. Now afterwards I have been thinking alot that maybe he should not have touched the temples at all just do hairline work. 

Although when I look at my temples I think in my situation the temple hair is very much the same as my hair on top. In your case it seems that your temple hair is much more like finer nape hair. 

Yeah, my hair is very soft as it gets to the temple points. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, at the end of the day, even if it is a bit noticeable at short lengths, youre still going to have a NW1 level head of hair, 99 percent of people will just see a full head of hair and not even register the temple points or if they do just assume it's some weird quirk of nature probably as it's usually nothing crazy noticeable, just to us who know about HT's.

Worst comes to worst you grow your hair out a bit longer, can still taper/fade down short below the temple points, around the top of the sides and wear it like that instead, but you still have a full head of hair either way, so you win.

• Like 1

I've seen very few cases of temple point work that truly looks natural. If you were to do it, I'd only get a small amount transplanted there as a test, ensuring they're very fine singles, similar to how Rolandas did.

Whether I think it's worth it in your case.. It'd be easier to say if you showed more photos straight on (right, center, left, not angled upward/downward), and some with your temple points slightly grown out (to see whether you have any thinning/retrograde, which would further emphasize the difference).

From what I can see, yours don't seem bad at all. They seem similar to mine, however I have retrograde thinning (which I don't think you do). Before my HT I was thinking I'd definitely need to get them done at some point, but now that my HT has grown out I've realized they look pretty good as long as I keep them on the shorter side (due to retrograde).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

I've seen very few cases of temple point work that truly looks natural. If you were to do it, I'd only get a small amount transplanted there as a test, ensuring they're very fine singles, similar to how Rolandas did.

Whether I think it's worth it in your case.. It'd be easier to say if you showed more photos straight on (right, center, left, not angled upward/downward), and some with your temple points slightly grown out (to see whether you have any thinning/retrograde, which would further emphasize the difference).

From what I can see, yours don't seem bad at all. They seem similar to mine, however I have retrograde thinning (which I don't think you do). Before my HT I was thinking I'd definitely need to get them done at some point, but now that my HT has grown out I've realized they look pretty good as long as I keep them on the shorter side (due to retrograde).

Been following your case also, your hair is looking great now man (I also thought you were being overly harsh on yourself for what it's worth haha).

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever be too keen on having temples re-built and brought inward significantly, say by a cm or something, as I think there's no getting around it looking at least a bit odd at short lengths. If I do get something done, it will indeed be similar to Rolandas approach and I'll probably just ask for Pinto to match the left side (which is straight and I've no issues with) by throwing something like 50/60/70/80 grafts in there or so. 

My bad, I just grabbed some photos quickly that I had, but I can add some more, although I don't have any with significantly longer hair on the sides. To be honest, I do also have somewhat thinner hair which could potentially be retrograde in the area below the temple points (only here, not at the nape or anything). I'm not sure if it's just a naturally lower density area (as a lot of people do have here I know) or slight retrograde, my brother who isn't balding has the exact same thing when his hair gets longer, but I'll see when I'm in Porto. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think you should leave it alone. You don't have enough loss in the temporal peaks to take the chance of it being noticeable since you plan to keep it very short.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Strangely, the best temple peaks I've seen so far were from Asmed and Doganay. I haven't seen Pinto's work but maybe you can find a case of him doing temple peaks and make a decision from that? I agree that when done wrong they stand out, especially at shorter lengths. I'm guessing that from a technical viewpoint it's really difficult to implant at such an acute angle but I think some don't get the direction of the hairs right either, or the calibre, or the density(often too high).

Edited by BLE123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BLE123 said:

Strangely, the best temple peaks I've seen so far were from Asmed and Doganay. I haven't seen Pinto's work but maybe you can find a case of him doing temple peaks and make a decision from that? I agree that when done wrong they stand out, especially at shorter lengths. I'm guessing that from a technical viewpoint it's really difficult to implant at such an acute angle but I think some don't get the direction of the hairs right either, or the calibre, or the density(often too high).

Yeah, I have seen a few cases of his with them, looks pretty good but there's a bit of length on the guys' hair at the sides. 

To be honest, I think even if someone has a lot of skill with temple points and places at the exact right angles, directions, and so on, most of the time the hair placed there just doesn't end up being quite as fine as the native hair and so it stands out. 

16 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

Thanks for the reply - just to clarify - I'm talking about the temple peaks/triangles and not the frontal-tempral areas that have obvious recession.  

Yeah, my hair is all good everywhere else, it's just the areas on either side of the forelock that I've ever experienced hair loss with.

It's MPB, beyond a mature hairline, I'm NW3 territory for sure. And yeah I've been on fin for a number of years now. although my hairloss didn't noticeably change for a good few years before starting the meds for what its worth. 

and yeah I know it's generally probably best to do things uniformly on both sides, but as I say I don't really know if it's anything to do with MPB as it seems to have been this way before I lost hair, I could be wrong of course though, but it seems that way from pics.

Have you noticed how fine the hair seems to be in that area?  I call it highly specialized hair.  Nowhere in the body do we have that caliber hair other than in the peaks.  I would dissuade you from addressing those points for now.  The donor is far thicker than that and it will stick out like a sore thumb.  Right now you look normal.  Leave it alone.

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.