FUE 2961 grafts | February 22+23 2021 | Should I be worried?

Hairsome

1 minute ago, Hairsome said:

Thanks for the feedback, both. I hope I'm just a slow grower and that more hairs will grow in in the next 1-3 months. I'll definitely schedule another appointment with the clinic and discuss the results, # of grafts harvested, etc. I'll be moving abroad soon though which complicates matters. But lets see..

Just never get anymore work done by them ! We can help you choose a decent clinic 🙏

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

Just never get anymore work done by them ! We can help you choose a decent clinic 🙏

Appreciate it. Hope I will be able to get some kind of a refund, though. I'm quite broke given that I recently graduated lol.

• Thanks 1

Appreciate it. Hope I will be able to get some kind of a refund, though. I'm quite broke given that I recently graduated lol.

Very, very doubtful. Don’t even think of anything like that for now. Just hope for more growth and maturity of the grafts already grown In. Please just keep us updated here. The next couple of months will give you a even better idea of how it’s going to end up. 

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
Just now, Hairsome said:

Thanks for the feedback, both. I hope I'm just a slow grower and that more hairs will grow in in the next 1-3 months. I'll definitely schedule another appointment with the clinic and discuss the results, # of grafts harvested, etc. I'll be moving abroad soon though which complicates matters. But lets see..

In fairness your donor looks pretty clean and the pic you posted of your hair grown out at the back shows absolutely no indication of any work being done. That's going to stand you in good stead moving forward. Also, given that you've had a least some growth, you can probably easily manage the cosmetic deficiency with some fibers/topik to get you by. I know that's not what you wanted 7/8 months post-op, but it could have been so much worse!

My best advice assuming things don't improve; 1. Get any high res photos the clinic took pre & post op from them. 2. Painstakingly count the grafts & mark them on the photos. 3. Seek advice from other reputable clinics (such as those listed on this website) for a) their assessment of the number of grafts transplanted and b) advice on a top-up procedure to bring things in line with your initial expectations.

Lastly; don't get any remedial work done by the original clinic. Take your custom elsewhere. Secondly, if you are going to end up in dispute with them, make sure you've been through the steps I've mentioned above so that you have some evidence. At the end of the day, you've paid for 2,961 grafts but quite likely haven't had that many (or even close to) transplanted. What you do with the info going forward is up to you, but I'd certainly be raising the issue once I'd done my diligence and gathered my evidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @JohnAC71 and @Berba11, both of you opened my eyes.

I'll contact the clinic and ask for some high res. photos. If I recall correctly, though, they wouldn't share the photos with me when I asked earlier on for GDPR reasons. However, I'll be sure to ask again and count the # of grafts. Will keep you guys updated. 

Definitely will reach out to other clinics for their opinion and possible touch up. Second surgery (if needed) should then probably take place in the summer of 2022. But let's see how things develop first. 

Edited by Hairsome
  • Like 1

Just now, Hairsome said:

I'll contact the clinic and ask for some high res. photos. If I recall correctly, though, they wouldn't share the photos with me whenI asked earlier on for GDPR reasons. However, I'll be sure to ask again and count the # of grafts. Will keep you guys updated. 

Welcome 🙏 and erm what ? That’s nonsense they are your pics. All clinics provide these ! 

• Valued Contributor

I'll contact the clinic and ask for some high res. photos. If I recall correctly, though, they wouldn't share the photos with me whenI asked earlier on for GDPR reasons. However, I'll be sure to ask again and count the # of grafts. Will keep you guys updated. 

They're photos of you. I'm not sure GDPR comes into it in such circumstances. You may want to swat up on such info prior to asking so that you're armed with that knowledge. I've never heard of a clinic refusing to release photos they've taken of a patient to that actual patient!

• Like 2

Just now, Berba11 said:

They're photos of you. I'm not sure GDPR comes into it in such circumstances. You may want to swat up on such info prior to asking so that you're armed with that knowledge. I've never heard of a clinic refusing to release photos they've taken of a patient to that actual patient!

Yup they are either worried about the pics, or they don’t exist. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
Just now, JohnAC71 said:

Yup they are either worried about the pics, or they don’t exist. 

I'd put money on the former. I've no doubt they're quite happy to post pics on their website & social media channels of selected good results (with no recourse to "GDPR" in sight)! Seems to me more likely they want to control where photos of their work turn up in case that work isn't as good as the ones they're happy to broadcast & shout about. If that's the case, that's a blatant lack of transparency & ethics. It's straight up dodgy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Berba11 said:

I'd put money on the former. I've no doubt they're quite happy to post pics on their website & social media channels of selected good results (with no recourse to "GDPR" in sight)! Seems to me more likely they want to control where photos of their work turn up in case that work isn't as good as the ones they're happy to broadcast & shout about. If that's the case, that's a blatant lack of transparency & ethics. It's straight up dodgy.

Either option isn’t good. It’s amazing what you find out when you dig a bit more in to peoples results.. for the OP I feel bad 😞 I’m pleased that you have taken what we have said as it’s well intended and we are just being honest. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for an update.

Unfortunately, compared to my last update here a couple of months ago, not much has changed. Arguably the new hairs have thickened up, but there has been no improvement in overall density. In other words, the 50 grafts per cm² promised by the clinic turns out to be a lot less in reality.

I have added pictures of:
- my hair styled
- my hair moderately wet after shower
- treatment areas (temples / hairline)
- donor area

Obviously, I'm very disappointed by the result. Given that I'm still young (turning 25 in a few months), I should proceed with caution when it comes down to future hair transplants. The clinic that treated me, as well as a surgeon from another clinic that I spoke to, estimate that my donor area has about 5000 more grafts available to be transplanted in the future.

Now that I embarked on this journey to fix my hair, the inner me does not want to leave it at this. I have contacted a clinic called Fuegenix (website: https://fuegenix.nl/ and Instagram: fuegenixhaarkliniek) for advice. It's a clinic run by a single surgeon (MD, ISHRS member) who estimates that I'd need about 1500 grafts to fix my temples/hairline. This is in line with my own estimate. From what I've seen on multiple forums (including this one) and Instagram, the results achieved by Dr. Ahmad are generally very good. 

Obviously, I'm looking at multiple clinics and have submitted a request for an online assessment to @BHR Clinic  @BHRClinic (tagging you so you hopefully read this) a few weeks ago. However, I'm still waiting for them to get back to me (takes quite a while it seems...).

I'd like to conclude this update by asking you guys for recommendations on the following:
- Taking into account all my circumstances, should I proceed with a second hair transplant?
- Could you recommend me one or multiple clinics that I should definitely take a look at? I'm located in the Benelux, so anywhere in that region or perhaps elsewhere in Europe is ideal.
Budget is not that much of an issue. I'd rather pay a bit more at a good clinic.

Just tagging @JC71 and @Berba11 since you guys have helped me here before.

Many thanks in advance!

Achterkant 5.jpg

Bovenkant (na douchen + Essengen) 1.jpg

Haar gestyled 1.jpg

Haar gestyled 4.jpg

Links 1.jpg

Rechter inham 2.jpg

Voorkant (na douchen + Essengen) 1 (cropped).jpg

Edited by Hairsome

• Valued Contributor
6 hours ago, Hairsome said:

Time for an update.

Unfortunately, compared to my last update here a couple of months ago, not much has changed. Arguably the new hairs have thickened up, but there has been no improvement in overall density. In other words, the 50 grafts per cm² promised by the clinic turns out to be a lot less in reality.

I have added pictures of:
- my hair styled
- my hair moderately wet after shower
- treatment areas (temples / hairline)
- donor area

Obviously, I'm very disappointed by the result. Given that I'm still young (turning 25 in a few months), I should proceed with caution when it comes down to future hair transplants. The clinic that treated me, as well as a surgeon from another clinic that I spoke to, estimate that my donor area has about 5000 more grafts available to be transplanted in the future.

Now that I embarked on this journey to fix my hair, the inner me does not want to leave it at this. I have contacted a clinic called Fuegenix (website: https://fuegenix.nl/ and Instagram: fuegenixhaarkliniek) for advice. It's a clinic run by a single surgeon (MD, ISHRS member) who estimates that I'd need about 1500 grafts to fix my temples/hairline. This is in line with my own estimate. From what I've seen on multiple forums (including this one) and Instagram, the results achieved by Dr. Ahmad are generally very good. 

Obviously, I'm looking at multiple clinics and have submitted a request for an online assessment to @BHR Clinic  @BHRClinic (tagging you so you hopefully read this) a few weeks ago. However, I'm still waiting for them to get back to me (takes quite a while it seems...).

I'd like to conclude this update by asking you guys for recommendations on the following:
- Taking into account all my circumstances, should I proceed with a second hair transplant?
- Could you recommend me one or multiple clinics that I should definitely take a look at? I'm located in the Benelux, so anywhere in that region or perhaps elsewhere in Europe is ideal.
Budget is not that much of an issue. I'd rather pay a bit more at a good clinic.

Just tagging @JC71 and @Berba11 since you guys have helped me here before.

Many thanks in advance!

Achterkant 5.jpg

Bovenkant (na douchen + Essengen) 1.jpg

Haar gestyled 1.jpg

Haar gestyled 4.jpg

Links 1.jpg

Rechter inham 2.jpg

Voorkant (na douchen + Essengen) 1 (cropped).jpg

FueGenix has certainly produced some very good work from what I've seen on this forum.

1500 extra grafts sounds like plenty. Knowing exactly how many grafts a person needs is always tricky. I just had 2800 grafts done a month ago and had/have more loss than you. There's various factors; head sizes, hair thickness, texture, future loss considerations etc... I won't know what my own results will be until several months down the line but if you really did get 3,000 grafts initially (which I simply don't think you did), then it should have been enough to get you the coverage you needed.

I think you'd be fine getting abother HT to finish this up. Your donor looks excellent at that length, and you probably didn't get 3,000 grafts extracted - maybe 2,300 give or take and in reality maybe even less. So you should have another 1-1.5K in the bank that you could comfortably use to fill in the gaps and still have enough in the bank for later if/when needed.

What I would say... Be conservative here & look to preserve your native hair.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Berba11 said:

FueGenix has certainly produced some very good work from what I've seen on this forum.

1500 extra grafts sounds like plenty. Knowing exactly how many grafts a person needs is always tricky. I just had 2800 grafts done a month ago and had/have more loss than you. There's various factors; head sizes, hair thickness, texture, future loss considerations etc... I won't know what my own results will be until several months down the line but if you really did get 3,000 grafts initially (which I simply don't think you did), then it should have been enough to get you the coverage you needed.

I think you'd be fine getting abother HT to finish this up. Your donor looks excellent at that length, and you probably didn't get 3,000 grafts extracted - maybe 2,300 give or take and in reality maybe even less. So you should have another 1-1.5K in the bank that you could comfortably use to fill in the gaps and still have enough in the bank for later if/when needed.

What I would say... Be conservative here & look to preserve your native hair.

Thanks a lot for your reply Berba. I'll discuss with the clinic where I had my first procedure done and see what they say. I hope they can offer some degree of financial compensation given that it wasn't a cheap transplant. I counted the little scars in my donor region and I counted 2500 excluding the hairs extracted from the sides of my head (weren't visible on the picture unfortunately) so I do think it's pretty close to 3k grafts in the end. So a very low survival rate unfortunately. 

Best of luck with your own journey!

Meanwhile, happy to hear the opinions of others. 

Edited by Hairsome
  • Like 1

Here is one picture from the side that I was able to find. Most pics I made are from other angles.

This is in natural light. In reality, the hair is even thinner when I'm standing underneath the lights in my bathroom. Some areas are just completely bald. Other areas have maybe 10-15 grafts per cm². Far from the 50 per cm².

side.png

11 minutes ago, Hairsome said:

Hi guys, I'd like to ask you for your input. Based on the pictures I provided in this thread, how many grafts do you think I'd need? 

I think I would be aiming for 1500-2000 grafts. Any thoughts on who you would likely chose for your next transplant ? I still think your graft count was around 2k at best but it’s the poor growth that matters. Sad to see it hasn’t improved. If you look back at the implanted  density you can see it’s nowhere near what was promised. Only the first couple of rows of the hairline seemed like it was ok density on the pre op pics. Sorry this hasn’t worked out 😞

Edited by JC71
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JC71 said:

I think I would be aiming for 1500-2000 grafts. Any thoughts on who you would likely chose for your next transplant ? I still think your graft count was around 2k at best but it’s the poor growth that matters. Sad to see it hasn’t improved. If you look back at the implanted  density you can see it’s nowhere near what was promised. Only the first couple of rows of the hairline seemed like it was ok density on the pre op pics. Sorry this hasn’t worked out 😞

Thanks JC for your input.

I agree that 1500-2000 seems reasonable. With approx. 5000 grafts available (maaaybe 5500?) I hope that the 3-3.5k grafts that I'd have left after the 2nd transplant will be sufficient for the future, as I expect the balding process to continue despite taking medications (based on the baldness in my family - although no one in my family ever used finasteride etc., so who knows). But either way, 3-3.5k grafts can go a long way as long as I go to a good clinic :).

In terms of clinics I'm looking at currently, I have requested online assessments from:
Dr Bisanga, Dr Lupanzula, Dr Feriduni, Dr Pinto, Dr De Freitas, Dr Bruno Ferreira, and Fuegenix. Feel free to let me know if I should reach out to any other clinic that you'd recommend. 

Edited by Hairsome
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hairsome said:

Thanks JC for your input.

I agree that 1500-2000 seems reasonable. With approx. 5000 grafts available (maaaybe 5500?) I hope that the 3-3.5k grafts that I'd have left after the 2nd transplant will be sufficient for the future, as I expect the balding process to continue despite taking medications (based on the baldness in my family - although no one in my family ever used finasteride etc., so who knows). But either way, 3-3.5k grafts can go a long way as long as I go to a good clinic :).

In terms of clinics I'm looking at currently, I have requested online assessments from:
Dr Bisanga, Dr Lupanzula, Dr Feriduni, Dr Pinto, Dr Freitas, Dr Bruno Ferreira, and Fuegenix. Feel free to let me know if I should reach out to any other clinic that you'd recommend. 

Hattingen + @Dr. Felipe PittellaTransplante Capilar are also very good considerations.

Did you manage to get your pics from the clinic ? I remember they were causing a issue when you asked for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Hattingen + @Dr. Felipe PittellaTransplante Capilar are also very good considerations.

Did you manage to get your pics from the clinic ? I remember they were causing a issue when you asked for them.

Cheers, will check these out. Hattingen rings a bell.

I was able to get the pictures when I visited the clinic. Unfortunately they wouldn't send me the pictures directly, but instead I had to take pictures of their pictures, which significantly reduced their quality. So they're not very useful to show here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hairsome said:

Cheers, will check these out. Hattingen rings a bell.

I was able to get the pictures when I visited the clinic. Unfortunately they wouldn't send me the pictures directly, but instead I had to take pictures of their pictures, which significantly reduced their quality. So they're not very useful to show here. 

I would of said Dr Zarev as well but he’s extremely difficult to get a reply from. You have a fair few excellent choices though to be getting on with. 

• Like 1