shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis / hair ?

2 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

any link between seborrheic dermatitis and hair loss? is the nizoral / ketoconazole shampoo also supposed to assist with this ? anyone have this issue?

I have it and will alternate between baby shampoo and Nizarol when it flares, Sometimes it helps.. 

Edited by JohnAC71

1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

I have it and sometimes alternate between baby shampoo and Nizarol. Sometimes it helps.. 

hmm, i feel like the baby shampoo has made it worse/ flare up...i have these 2 products for the face which work great up until recently seems whenever i grow facial hair it gets worse.....but recently ive noticed more on scalp.....not sure if its due to my recent fue procedure....

Just now, Gokuhairline said:

hmm, i feel like the baby shampoo has made it worse/ flare up...i have these 2 products for the face which work great up until recently seems whenever i grow facial hair it gets worse.....but recently ive noticed more on scalp.....not sure if its due to my recent fue procedure....

Yes I have had x5 hts and can say it’s made it flare on each occasion.

• Like 1

I've had seborrheic dermatitis on and off throughout my life, and have finally gotten it under control over the past few years. Nizoral helped tremendously, particularly when I had an outbreak, but I must say that the best thing I've found in terms of longterm effectiveness is focusing on preventing outbreaks altogether. I started paying close attention to what was contributing to my scalp acting up, and it was primarily 1) different styling products I would use, and 2) the frequency at which I washed my hair. Little by little, I was able to eliminate various products that I was allergic to, such as Aveda. And then by eliminating them (among others), it really helped minimize the frequency of my outbreaks. I also noticed that I have to thoroughly wash my hair pretty much daily, otherwise my scalp gets super irritated. 

Hopefully the Nizoral really helps when you have outbreaks, but best case scenario, you can figure out what your particular triggers are and hopefully find a way to keep them at bay. :)

• Like 3

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

14 minutes ago, pkipling said:

I've had seborrheic dermatitis on and off throughout my life, and have finally gotten it under control over the past few years. Nizoral helped tremendously, particularly when I had an outbreak, but I must say that the best thing I've found in terms of longterm effectiveness is focusing on preventing outbreaks altogether. I started paying close attention to what was contributing to my scalp acting up, and it was primarily 1) different styling products I would use, and 2) the frequency at which I washed my hair. Little by little, I was able to eliminate various products that I was allergic to, such as Aveda. And then by eliminating them (among others), it really helped minimize the frequency of my outbreaks. I also noticed that I have to thoroughly wash my hair pretty much daily, otherwise my scalp gets super irritated. 

Hopefully the Nizoral really helps when you have outbreaks, but best case scenario, you can figure out what your particular triggers are and hopefully find a way to keep them at bay. :)

makes sense.....i've also had it on and off and the only "big " change recently was my fue where i went a few days of no washing my hair and still have not returned to using my normal shampoo + conditioner which has biotin , minerals ,etc...i just ordered a bottle of nizoral lets see....what about anything on the face ? like around the nose, moustache, eyebrows ?  

As someone who has literally tried everything nothing worked better than good old fashioned coal tar shampoos. These are dirt cheap, extremely safe, and in my experience worked better than OTC Nizoral or prescription Nizoral. You can use steroid shampoos as well, but these are prescription and for short term use only.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Louisjams said:

As someone who has literally tried everything nothing worked better than good old fashioned coal tar shampoos. These are dirt cheap, extremely safe, and in my experience worked better than OTC Nizoral or prescription Nizoral. You can use steroid shampoos as well, but these are prescription and for short term use only.

True and definitely worth trying. 👍🏽

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 3:50 PM, Gokuhairline said:

makes sense.....i've also had it on and off and the only "big " change recently was my fue where i went a few days of no washing my hair and still have not returned to using my normal shampoo + conditioner which has biotin , minerals ,etc...i just ordered a bottle of nizoral lets see....what about anything on the face ? like around the nose, moustache, eyebrows ?  

I don't know what you could use around the face for this, as I've never experienced it. My nostrils have a tendency to get super dry due to sinuses and whatnot, and keeping them lubricated with vaseline helps when they act up... Not sure if you'd want something that thick on your face though. Lol. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 9/17/2021 at 3:50 PM, Gokuhairline said:

what about anything on the face ? like around the nose, moustache, eyebrows ? 

Seborrheic dermatitis occurs often on the scalp, but can also happen on folds of nose, mustache, eyebrows, and even inside of ear lobes and the ear canal.  Its thought to be caused by an overgrowth of malessezia yeast on your skin that feeds off of your sebum.  The natural instinct to treat Seborrheic dermatitis is to add a dandruff shampoo that combats malassezia.  Common ingredients would be ketoconazole, pyrithione zinc, selenium sulfide, or coal tar.  They will help but its not enough. 

Many common ingredients in shampoo, conditioner, face wash, shaving cream, sunscreen, and moisturizers actually feed malessezia and will make your seborrheic dermatitis worse.  So, In addition to adding a dandruff shampoo you need to stop using products that feed the yeast that causes seborrheic dermatitis if you want it to go away completely.   There is a list of malassezia safe products here:  https://simpleskincarescience.com/fungal-acne-products-malassezia-pityrosporum-folliculitis/.    (I am not affiliated with that site).  Best of luck.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 11:01 AM, Spaceman said:

Seborrheic dermatitis occurs often on the scalp, but can also happen on folds of nose, mustache, eyebrows, and even inside of ear lobes and the ear canal.  Its thought to be caused by an overgrowth of malessezia yeast on your skin that feeds off of your sebum.  The natural instinct to treat Seborrheic dermatitis is to add a dandruff shampoo that combats malassezia.  Common ingredients would be ketoconazole, pyrithione zinc, selenium sulfide, or coal tar.  They will help but its not enough. 

Many common ingredients in shampoo, conditioner, face wash, shaving cream, sunscreen, and moisturizers actually feed malessezia and will make your seborrheic dermatitis worse.  So, In addition to adding a dandruff shampoo you need to stop using products that feed the yeast that causes seborrheic dermatitis if you want it to go away completely.   There is a list of malassezia safe products here:  https://simpleskincarescience.com/fungal-acne-products-malassezia-pityrosporum-folliculitis/.    (I am not affiliated with that site).  Best of luck.

Great post. Do you think there is such a thing as overuse of some of these dandruff shampoos like ketoconazole or coal tar? S has made claims many times saying hair transplant patients that use 2% ketoconazole more than one a week have reported excessive shedding to him 

• Administrators

I’m actually dealing with this issue on my face, been using nizoral daily to wash my face. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’ve had this also. I was using Nizarol until my ht, and now using Alpecin. I’ve noticed my recipient area is quite flakey. I got some steroid cream from the doctor after a big flare up, but haven’t  put it on my recipient area just in case it damages the follicles/new hair. Does anyone know whether this would be the case or whether it would be safe to put some steroid cream on that area?  I’ve used it lightly on my face and it’s cleared it up completely but it’s not a long term solution. 

Edited by Marko7t4

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Is it helping ? 

It definitely helps, it helps eczema

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Do you think there is such a thing as overuse of some of these dandruff shampoos like ketoconazole or coal tar?

Yes, absolutely.  Ketoconazole, Selenium Sulfide, and Coal Tar are all irritants and I think overuse will do more harm than good.  Irritated skin leads to itching and inflammation and that is known to contribute to hair loss.  The dandruff shampoos all help to control seborrheic dermatitis but you shouldn't need to use them more than 2 times a week. If that is not enough to control the problem then you probably need to make other changes, e.g. the other shampoos you use, or the conditioners, or other hair products. 

Its good to use dandruff shampoos on your scalp and face to help treat seborrheic dermatitis, however, you aren't helping things very much if right after the dandruff shampoo you slather on conditioner or moisturizer that then encourages the growth of malassezia.  In that case you are simultaneously inhibiting and encouraging the growth of Malassezia.  So SD may improve, but it will not go away completely, or it goes away but keeps coming back.  I spent a couple decades like that.

It turns out that nearly all (like > 90%) of skin and hair care products contain ingredients that are known to feed the malassezia yeast that causes seborrheic dermatitis.  The problem ingredients include fatty acids with carbon chain lengths of 11-24.  That includes almost all oils, polysorbates and esters.  You need to avoid anything with olive oil, coconut oil, avacado oil, etc.   And avoid anything with lauric acid, myristic acid, tridecylic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid, and linoleic acid, etc. Unfortunately those ingredients are in most skin and haircare products! 

There are some products that don't have those ingredients and they will help because they will not throw gas on the fire.  You really do need to check the label.

I now use 100% malasezzia-safe products and that has made all the difference for me in controlling SD.  I'm sharing them below in case anyone finds them useful. These products are all widely available, cost less than $15, and I have no financial interest in recommending any of them to you.

I use Nizoral 1% on my face, ears, neck, and scalp once a week or so.  This works very well, but in moderation.  The other days I use a medicated baby shampoo called Happy Cappy.  It is very mild and very effective.  I use this Vanicream facial cleanser on my face. Again, mild but very effective. As a treatment for facial seborrheic dermatitis around nose folds, mustache, etc, I use MSM facial sulfur gel.  Topical sulfur is a great treatment for SD.  This gel uses MSM instead of elemental sulfur so the gel has no smell. The carrier is organic aloe and is very mild and very safe. Totally non-irritating. I use this daily on my face and neck.  After that, I apply CeraVe cream again to face and neck. 

Edited by Spaceman
fixed link
  • Like 3