shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis / hair ?

yup what spaceman said is true, also i bought this beard wash from amazon and it literally got rid of dandruff on beard / mustasche area after 1 use......also dead sea salt helps a ton....HT def caused a flare up and I used nizoral (first time using it) and that helped with scalp dandruff.

• 2 months later...

I have also seborrheic dermatitis.

I tried a lot but, and since 1 year i am using this shampoo from sebamed. It is a PH neutral shampoo and i never had some issues again with the dermatitis.

Because its PH neutral, i can clearly say, it is very Pleasant.

I am really happy with it, and finally found the most pleasant treatment for the dermatitis.

image.jpeg.e6627b4fcc340d327bd9822409f5ac31.jpeg

• Like 1

Melvin--sulfur washes with sulfacetamide work great, but they are prescription only. The brand Avar is expensive but you can find something similar on Ebay. (they are antibacterial, too). Works very well as a face wash for SD as well as acne and rosacea.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at T Sal and T Gel.  Also Scalpicin, although I would not use this regularly as it's hydrocortisone and can thin the skin.

An option might be to use the Scalpicin to clear things up intially, then maintain using shampoos.

Interestingly T Sal contains Salycylic Acid which is the same stuff used in Wart remover, except lower concentration.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 10 months later...
On 9/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, pkipling said:

I've had seborrheic dermatitis on and off throughout my life, and have finally gotten it under control over the past few years. Nizoral helped tremendously, particularly when I had an outbreak, but I must say that the best thing I've found in terms of longterm effectiveness is focusing on preventing outbreaks altogether. I started paying close attention to what was contributing to my scalp acting up, and it was primarily 1) different styling products I would use, and 2) the frequency at which I washed my hair. Little by little, I was able to eliminate various products that I was allergic to, such as Aveda. And then by eliminating them (among others), it really helped minimize the frequency of my outbreaks. I also noticed that I have to thoroughly wash my hair pretty much daily, otherwise my scalp gets super irritated. 

Hopefully the Nizoral really helps when you have outbreaks, but best case scenario, you can figure out what your particular triggers are and hopefully find a way to keep them at bay. :)

Just wondering, in regards to your point 2, how often did you wind up washing your hair after changing the frequency?  Did you wash with the Nizoral shampoo more often or less often?

In the past year I've adjusted down to washing my hair with salon grade shampoo once or twice a week.  Did you switch to using the Nizoral daily to prevent outbreaks of this seborrheic dermatitis?  Or do you space it out?

I had the opportunity to visit my hair surgeon in person this past week and went in to do photos.  Not that I noticed it but he said my scalp was inflamed.  I had been showering with ControlGX for some days before that to wash out the grey, as it acts over time, but it was causing my skin to sting a little bit.  Dr. Umar mentioned in the last year he began screening patients for an inflammation condition that causes scarring around the follicles as that can be a detriment to keeping native hair and with transplantation results.  So when I was there he did a couple of biopsies so I will find out soon if I have this condition like some others on this forum.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:37 AM, AB2000 said:

Just wondering, in regards to your point 2, how often did you wind up washing your hair after changing the frequency?  Did you wash with the Nizoral shampoo more often or less often?

In the past year I've adjusted down to washing my hair with salon grade shampoo once or twice a week.  Did you switch to using the Nizoral daily to prevent outbreaks of this seborrheic dermatitis?  Or do you space it out?

I had the opportunity to visit my hair surgeon in person this past week and went in to do photos.  Not that I noticed it but he said my scalp was inflamed.  I had been showering with ControlGX for some days before that to wash out the grey, as it acts over time, but it was causing my skin to sting a little bit.  Dr. Umar mentioned in the last year he began screening patients for an inflammation condition that causes scarring around the follicles as that can be a detriment to keeping native hair and with transplantation results.  So when I was there he did a couple of biopsies so I will find out soon if I have this condition like some others on this forum.

Fortunately, I've been able to get it under control to the point that I've not used Nizoral in a long time. 

As for the frequency, for me it was a matter of not going longer than two days without washing my hair. If go more than two days without washing it, and thereby letting product build up on my scalp for a couple days, that's when an outbreak would occur. So as long as I'm A) using products that don't irritate my scalp, and B) washing my hair frequently enough that I don't get irritation from oil/buildup, then I'm able to keep things under control. 

It'll likely be a little trial and error figuring out how your scalp best responds to such things, but hopefully you'll get there! :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 1 year later...

On 10/3/2021 at 7:21 PM, Spaceman said:

Its good to use dandruff shampoos on your scalp and face to help treat seborrheic dermatitis, however, you aren't helping things very much if right after the dandruff shampoo you slather on conditioner or moisturizer that then encourages the growth of malassezia.  In that case you are simultaneously inhibiting and encouraging the growth of Malassezia.  So SD may improve, but it will not go away completely, or it goes away but keeps coming back.  I spent a couple decades like that.

It turns out that nearly all (like > 90%) of skin and hair care products contain ingredients that are known to feed the malassezia yeast that causes seborrheic dermatitis.  The problem ingredients include fatty acids with carbon chain lengths of 11-24.  That includes almost all oils, polysorbates and esters.  You need to avoid anything with olive oil, coconut oil, avacado oil, etc.   And avoid anything with lauric acid, myristic acid, tridecylic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid, and linoleic acid, etc. Unfortunately those ingredients are in most skin and haircare products! 

There are some products that don't have those ingredients and they will help because they will not throw gas on the fire.  You really do need to check the label.

I now use 100% malasezzia-safe products and that has made all the difference for me in controlling SD.  I'm sharing them below in case anyone finds them useful. These products are all widely available, cost less than $15, and I have no financial interest in recommending any of them to you.

I use Nizoral 1% on my face, ears, neck, and scalp once a week or so.  This works very well, but in moderation.  The other days I use a medicated baby shampoo called Happy Cappy.  It is very mild and very effective.  I use this Vanicream facial cleanser on my face. Again, mild but very effective. As a treatment for facial seborrheic dermatitis around nose folds, mustache, etc, I use MSM facial sulfur gel.  Topical sulfur is a great treatment for SD.  This gel uses MSM instead of elemental sulfur so the gel has no smell. The carrier is organic aloe and is very mild and very safe. Totally non-irritating. I use this daily on my face and neck.  After that, I apply CeraVe cream again to face and neck. 

Hi @Spaceman or anyone else with some insight. I am 5 weeks post HT#2 with some seborrheic dermatitis. I am interested in trying Happy Cappy shampoo referenced in this post. Surgeon thinks it is fine to use at this stage. Anyone have anything other to say as to why it may not be a good idea?

Thanks!