DHI/FUE (Revision) - Fear of Overharvesting

Kuriko

Dear Community, 

I need some advice and insight. I had a DHI done on 9/18/20 in Turkey. They used 2400. They mostly did it in the front and a few on the crown area. 11 months later, the hair was not dense. 

Hence, on 8/13/21, I did a revision surgery. it was FUE and 2460 grafts onto the front again. 

However, 3 weeks later, today 9/3/21, I am worried that they overharvested. I went to a barber and he mentioned how bad it looks from the back. He mentioned that he has a lot of customers who did a hair transplant and it usually does not look so bad and obvious. 

Could you provide me with some advice. I want to believe that the redness is temporary. But, it does look quite badly. 

Thanks in advance for your insights and comments. 

9:18:20.jpg

9:18:20_pic2.jpg

8:13:21.jpg

9:3:21_back.jpg

9:3:21_back_close.jpg

9:3:21_Front.jpg

9:3:21_otherside.jpg

9:3:21_Side.jpg

9:3:21_sideclose.jpg

9:3:21_top.jpg

Month_11.jpg

Month_11_pic2.jpg

Month_11_pic3.jpg

Month_11_pic4.jpg

Month_11_pic5.jpg

1 hour ago, Kuriko said:

Let's answer this piece by piece,

I had a DHI done on 9/18/20 in Turkey. They used 2400. They mostly did it in the front and a few on the crown area. 11 months later, the hair was not dense.  First, we do not have your initial photos. I gather you had little to no hair when you started. My first question, were you doing any type of medical therapy at the time? How about now? 

The first thing I see, the doctor concentrated the majority in the frontal third.  No blending whatsoever to the area behind the front.  You are young and, if you've shown the propensity to lose, this will continue.  Thus, if you lose any hair in the mid scalp, you'll have no choice but continue to chase the pattern. The use of meds is HUGE at this point to help you retain the native hair.  Can't stress it enough.

The therapy subject also becomes important when you consider the fact grafts were placed in the crown.  1. What a waste of grafts and money.  A few grafts in the area will do absolutely nothing.  Pls don't waste any more.  Finish the front and top and forget about the back until you are happy.  Once you are, and if meds are working, you can then tackle that area.  At this point, if you are not doing meds, you'll end up with an island worth of grafts and nothing around them. Research the whirl and the many reasons why most doctors will dissuade you  from working a crown, particularly whey you're early in the process.

Years ago, and this probably still holds true, most doctors were under the belief that a space in between grafts is required for graft survival.  Grafts compete for blood supply and, if placed too close, you would lose some.  This is why your first procedure yielded a thin result.  During the second procedure, the doctor then works between the grafts he placed the first time.  Funny you call the second procedure a revision when, in fact, you did more grafts in that occasion.

However, 3 weeks later, today 9/3/21, I am worried that they overharvested. I went to a barber and he mentioned how bad it looks from the back. He mentioned that he has a lot of customers who did a hair transplant and it usually does not look so bad and obvious. 

You just had surgery 3 weeks ago! You have over 2400 scars - what you currently have is what's to be expected.  It takes the body time to heal. I would give 6-12 months.  Grow your hair a bit and this will help you camouflage.  

Could you provide me with some advice. I want to believe that the redness is temporary. But, it does look quite badly. 

Thanks in advance for your insights and comments. 

9:18:20.jpg

9:18:20_pic2.jpg

8:13:21.jpg

9:3:21_back.jpg

9:3:21_back_close.jpg

9:3:21_Front.jpg

9:3:21_otherside.jpg

9:3:21_Side.jpg

9:3:21_sideclose.jpg

9:3:21_top.jpg

Month_11.jpg

Month_11_pic2.jpg

Month_11_pic3.jpg

Month_11_pic4.jpg

Month_11_pic5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Which clinic was this ? Did you go back to the same place despite poor growth the first time ? You have now used up a lot of your donor area and yes it doesn’t look particularly well managed. Difficult to say right now, some could of it could be shock loss and it is very short. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info and response!

Why are you getting a haircut 3 weeks post op?! Especially that short?

It looked extremely patchy, and I am going back into the office. I was hoping to make it look more even. 

Which clinic was this ? Did you go back to the same place despite poor growth the first time ? You have now used up a lot of your donor area and yes it doesn’t look particularly well managed. Difficult to say right now, some could of it could be shock loss and it is very short. 

Dr. Emrah Cinic - Yes, they said they would make it denser and cover the cost. They have extremely good reviews. I fear I messed up there. 

First, we do not have your initial photos. I gather you had little to no hair when you started. My first question, were you doing any type of medical therapy at the time? How about now? The first thing I see, the doctor concentrated the majority in the frontal third.  No blending whatsoever to the area behind the front.  You are young and, if you've shown the propensity to lose, this will continue.  Thus, if you lose any hair in the mid scalp, you'll have no choice but continue to chase the pattern. The use of meds is HUGE at this point to help you retain the native hair.  Can't stress it enough.

I added some of the initial pictures. I was on minoxidil. I have stopped using it after the first surgery and began using saw palmetto and vitamins of biotin, calcium, magnesium daily as well as vivascul. I will be doing prp every 2-3 months for the next year and will be only using caffeine shampoo. 

before_4.jpg

before_3.jpg

before.jpg

before_2.jpg

Edited by Kuriko

They also have some very poor results. Cinik is a popular hair mill with very varied results. I hope for your sake the second transplant you got the better tech team. Please don’t go back again if you ever have anymore procedures. Not worth the risk. Let’s hope this will give a better result 🤞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnAC71 said:

They also have some very poor results. Cinik is a popular hair mill with very varied results. I hope for your sake the second transplant you got the better tech team. Please don’t go back again if you ever have anymore procedures. Not worth the risk. Let’s hope this will give a better result 🤞

I also do and I definitely won't return. I wish I knew that a year ago. 

• Like 1

You need to give that donor hair at the back a  few months to recover before making any judgments how it will eventually look. Hopefully the extractions are spread out enough to give you even coverage of your donor and that's where the experience of your tech is important.

• Like 1

So sorry to see your results so far.  Hope that donor area improves.  I know HT's in Turkey are inexpensive but clearly have mixed results....too often.  Hope your 2nd surgical results go well.  Hang in there and keep us posted.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Valued Contributor

At this stage the best thing to do is the hardest thing to do and that is to wait. After surgical trauma the scalp needs time to settle down and heal. The redness will go in time. I wouldn't do anything for 12 months with the exception of trialing finasteride. It may strengthen your donor hair that remains (along with the transplanted hair) giving it the illusion of greater density (perhaps). The worst thing you could do would be more surgery! I know more than anyone (from my own experiences) that the waiting is frustrating but scars do heal over time. Even after a year they continue to change and soften for years afterwards. I would grow your hair out a bit more also. It's just a game of patience at this stage so be gentle on yourself. All the best!

• 1 month later...