Do I Need a Transplant?? Look at My Pics Guys

Hi everyone. Greatly appreciate this site for all of us. I have some pics I'd like you all to see and judge whether or not I need a hair transplant. But I'm in a situation where when I lift my hairs on my scalp that I have some areas of scalp showing shedding and loss. But when I style my hair like I usually do, it looks like I dont need a transplant at all. Some guy on the street randomly commented I have tons of hair which is a good compliment.

It very much looks like I dont need a transplant. But I'm on the fence and am not 100% sure. I came here to gather your opinions just to make sure as I count your opinions as gold and unwavering since many of you have been on this site for years giving honest opinions which I am seeking with much respect.

The 1st 3 pics show my bald spots.

The last 4 pics show my hair fully styled. I await your responses.

Again I appreciate this site and thank you guys for all your honest help and anticipated replies.

20210119_031823.jpg

20210119_031837.jpg

20210119_031845.jpg

20210803_005831.jpg

20210803_010433.jpg

20210803_010248.jpg

IMG_20210717_190221.jpg

Edited by dtap
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Nobody needs an HT, do you have enough hair loss to warrant surgery? The answer is yes.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Agreed. You've got enough hair loss to warrant a hair transplant. What's your age? Are you on finasteride and minoxidil? Where are you located? 

Here are the recommended surgeons you can consult:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

7 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Nobody needs an HT, do you have enough hair loss to warrant surgery? The answer is yes.

But did you look at the last 4 pics of my post showing my hair styled? Dont you think I have enough hair in the front that it doesnt warrant a ht

With all due respect I've seen lots of ht results from guys here who have less hair than me when styled.

Not trying to necessarily influence your answer, I'm just trying to point out details you may take into consideration that maybe might change your answer. Just being extra sure here. Hope you understand.

Looking forward to your reply.

Edited by dtap

6 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Agreed. You've got enough hair loss to warrant a hair transplant. What's your age? Are you on finasteride and minoxidil?

Appreciate the reply doctor. I'm in my 40s and I'm not on any meds.

Are you about your evaluation? Did you look at the last 4 pics showing my hair styled? I'm able to style my hair despite the loss. I've asked people I know about it and they say I dont need one.

Looking forward to your response.

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Firstly how old are you and secondly are you on finasteride or any other medication for hair loss? Other than that if you are 100% not sure about having a hair transplant then don't. All the best!

Hi gatsby,

Appreciate your reply. To answer your question, I'm in my 40s and I'm not on any meds (thank god!).

To answer your more important question, I'm really not 100% sure of getting a transplant in all honesty. A part of me wants to get a ht. But the other part of me is saying not to.

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, dtap said:

Hi gatsby,

Appreciate your reply. To answer your question, I'm in my 40s and I'm not on any meds (thank god!).

To answer your more important question, I'm really not 100% sure of getting a transplant in all honesty. A part of me wants to get a ht. But the other part of me is saying not to.

Wow @dtap! for a guy in his 40's you have an enviable amount of hair! I pictured you to be in your early 20's! I wouldn't stress at all over meds with that pattern of hair for your age. If you're not sure about a hair transplant then honestly don't get one. If you're toying with the idea just do heaps of research for as long as you like on who is the best to meet your needs and be prepared to fly if that surgeon is overseas. Lastly don't base surgery on budget and end up in some hair mill in Turkey (or Australia for that matter). All the best!

9 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Wow @dtap! for a guy in his 40's you have an enviable amount of hair! I pictured you to be in your early 20's! I wouldn't stress at all over meds with that pattern of hair for your age. If you're not sure about a hair transplant then honestly don't get one. If you're toying with the idea just do heaps of research for as long as you like on who is the best to meet your needs and be prepared to fly if that surgeon is overseas. Lastly don't base surgery on budget and end up in some hair mill in Turkey (or Australia for that matter). All the best!

Hi gatsby,

Greatly appreciate the speedy response! Thank you for that.

I listened to joe tilman on his radio show advising to take great precaution with hts. I'm a bit stuck in the middle with some leanings on not going through with one. I'm still somewhat uncertain.

Based on my pics with my hair styled, if you were me, would you honestly get a ht?

Edited by dtap
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@dtap I agree with all of the other replies about getting a hair transplant. However if you had say a big nose and it didn't worry you and your friends say that your nose looks great then would you have rhinoplasty? It's totally up to you if you have a hair transplant or not. I'm far from anti hair transplant. But like all cosmetic surgery, if it doesn't bother you to have it then why bother?

• Like 1

No one needs a transplant. Though it's justifiable on you since you've got some noticeable loss in the forelock and the temples.

Anyway, you're pretty much rocking what amounts to a combover to cover your recession. Not sure what the point of a transplant if you're just gonna continue having your pre-transplant hairstyle? It won't change anything since your current style hides your recession. I'd strongly consider one though if you're interested in trying out certain stylish hairstyles (anything that exposes the hairline) so you're not limited to a hide-my-balding style

Edited by deeznuts
  • Like 1

If you're in your 40's then definitely go for it, but go to an elite doctor otherwise you might regret it.  I'd try fin too, maybe a half dose or every other day.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, dtap said:

Appreciate the reply doctor. I'm in my 40s and I'm not on any meds.

Are you about your evaluation? Did you look at the last 4 pics showing my hair styled? I'm able to style my hair despite the loss. I've asked people I know about it and they say I dont need one.

Looking forward to your response.

You're conflating two separate things...

1. Do you have enough loss in the frontal third that could be cosmetically improved via HT surgery? Yes.

2. Do you have enough hair overall to style/cover up your recession so that it's barely noticeable? Also yes.

So the answer really comes down to whether you *want* (note; *want* as being distinct from NEED) a HT and whether your current hair loss bothers you enough to go through the rigmarole of a HT. If you're not fussed either way, save yourself the money and hassle. HT's have nothing to do with "need" - nobody "needs" one: they *want* one.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, dtap said:

But did you look at the last 4 pics of my post showing my hair styled? Dont you think I have enough hair in the front that it doesnt warrant a ht

With all due respect I've seen lots of ht results from guys here who have less hair than me when styled.

Not trying to necessarily influence your answer, I'm just trying to point out details you may take into consideration that maybe might change your answer. Just being extra sure here. Hope you understand.

Looking forward to your reply.

If you’re happy with styling your hair that way don’t get one. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

dtap,

Thought I would respond to your message here.

You have received lots of good replies here and as others have stated, it’s not an issue of needing a HT, it’s whether you want one.

Now, you do an awesome job with styling your hair and covering your loss in the frontal third, but what happens when you are outside and a gust of wind comes and blows your combover away?…or when a lady starts running her fingers through your hair?

So it really comes down to a personal decision as to your lifestyle and do you want to continue with the combover or do you want to fill in the bare spots and not have to keep covering it up?

Also, being 40 and not on hairloss meds, you still have good hair volume so unless there are men with advanced hairloss in your family history, your future loss appears minimal.

So now that you know that you do not need a HT, the bottom line is, “Do you WANT one?”

I hope all of the feedback that you have received has been enlightening my friend…best wishes to you!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY