Looking for good U.S. surgeon for Crown work

Hi all,

15 years ago I had two FUT frontal HTs with Dr. Keane in Tucson AZ. The hairline she created has held and it's been relatively successful. Now unfortunately at 60, my crown has depleted quite a lot and my hair shafts have thinned giving the "see through" look a lot of options. The greying helps but it's not enough "to not notice" my scalp. I can comb my frontal hair back to partially cover the crown but it's rarely successful.

To be honest, I have no idea what's available to me now (if anything?). I know given my age, this may not be a good idea and may result in further crown loss. However I would really like to be able to leave the house without feeling the need to wear a cap all the time. I'm also hoping that the techniques and tools available now (15 yrs later) have improved to the point where a successful outcome might play in my favor 🤔.  

Any suggestions for a surgical review or surgeon?  No doubt Dr. Keane would probably do a good job but I'd like to get someone with a good reputation for crown work. I live in Southern California but can travel the U.S. 

Thanks

Me 1.jpg

Me 3.jpg

Edited by JWard
  • Like 1

Hi John,

Thanks I'll try that. 3900 total. One in 2006, a follow up in 2007. Mainly frontal and mid-scalp. 

Yes, a FUE was my consideration too, though Dr. Keane was known back then for limited scarring and my FUT donor site is still solid.

• Like 1

I think FUE would be a great choice for you. Do you have any photos of your donor area you'd like to share? @JohnAC71has some great advice. In SoCal, you have some awesome choices. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

17 hours ago, JWard said:

I know given my age, this may not be a good idea and may result in further crown loss.

@JWard I would actually say that being on the "older" side is the best time to get work done for crown loss, and barring other issues I think most surgeons would welcome you. I'm 32 and have had multiple doctors reject me for crown surgery. They have told me they are very cautious on working on patients under 40, because crown loss has a way of sneaking up on you and the final form of crown loss appears much later than frontal hairline loss does. Even if your crown continues to thin, by 60 the docs should be able to tell what your final form of loss is. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 2

Konior's the guy I would go to if money was no object, I was restricted to the US and I liked Chicago pizza. In no particular order of importance.

Canada has Hasson and Wong so they're always a great choice. If you're in North America, it's always good to do your due diligence by checking them out. Their reps are professional and the doctors always deliver great results.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I think FUE would be a great choice for you. Do you have any photos of your donor area you'd like to share?

Yes, thank you. I'll provide that later today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Konior's the guy I would go to if money was no object, I was restricted to the US and I liked Chicago pizza. In no particular order of importance.

Canada has Hasson and Wong so they're always a great choice. If you're in North America, it's always good to do your due diligence by checking them out. Their reps are professional and the doctors always deliver great results.

You're a fan of deep dish pizza??

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Yes, deep dish pizza is the best!  Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, Pequod's.... they're all good!

@JWard Looks like you could have your frontal third and hairline revisited as well as your crown.  I love what Dr. Konior did for my crown with only 700 grafts so I'd recommend him for that, but of course he could take care of your front too.  The question is FUT or FUE for you, and it might just boil down to your preference.  Consult with doctors who are equally equipped for both FUT & FUE; e.g. H&W, SMG, Konior, etc. 

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators
7 hours ago, JWard said:

Yes, I DO have very fine hair. A big concern of mine. Does that take me out of the running for another transplant, or does it just mean more grafts? 

You came back after 2 years, have you consulted with doctors in that time?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 hours ago, JWard said:

Yes, I DO have very fine hair. A big concern of mine. Does that take me out of the running for another transplant, or does it just mean more grafts? 

It means more grafts but your donor area looks fine. You already have the scar and if the laxity of the skin is good enough i would definately go for another strip surgery.

The best choice for strip and crown work in my opinion is Dr. Wong from Hasson and Wong in Canada. You should definately have a consultation with him.

3900 grafts is not that much for strip nowdays so maybe its possible not only to do the crown but to reinforce the hairline too.

• Thanks 1