27yo male, probably NW3, looking into getting a HT

Hello everyone!

I've started experiencing hair loss in the last 3-4 years, and now it got to the point when it bothers me quite a lot. Especially if it's wet or sweaty, it's quite visible. I've never taken any medications. My father and grandpa both have similar hairloss patterns, but nothing more aggressive then what I have now.

I am looking into getting a transplant at the end of this year. HLC in Ankara is my top choice so far, as I've seen so many positive opinions and results of them. Based on the online consultation, they quoted me 2800-3400 grafts.

I am prepared to do another HT in 5-10 years if there is a need. I'd enjoy though the benefits until then, would not wait more, as I'd love to enjoy the benefits sooner, than later.

I am attaching a few images. What do you all think based on them? Would you recommend getting a HT at this stage or wait a few more years? What are the risks of getting it done now?

Thank you so much for your responses, this forum has been so helpful in learning more about the journey

IMG_7481.jpg

IMG_7478.jpeg

IMG_7465.jpg

IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

Edited by robertis

Have you considered taking Fin/Minox ? You have a lot of hair to try and keep ! But yes you seem a good candidate to get a Hair Transplant. Have you considered anybody else ? HLC is very good, just wondering who else may have been on your short list. 

Edited by JohnAC71

Hey @JohnAC71

Not yet, as I don't know too much about it to be honest. I am afraid of any side effects and that would still not solve my balding problem. 

I also considered Cosmedica, Asmed and Dr Chiara Insalaco in Rome, but HLC seems the best in terms of results and reviews found online.

• Administrators

I hate to say this, but you’re way more advanced than a Norwood 3. I would say you’re a Norwood 5 the pattern is clear. As for medication, it would stop your balding, it is a hair transplant that would not solve your balding problem, you have it backwards. First line of defense is medication, then once you’ve stabilized you can look at surgery. At your age, balding pattern, it’s not wise to get surgery without stabilizing your hair loss. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, robertis said:

Thanks for your input @Melvin L. Mayer MD

What would be an ideal timeframe from your opinion to stabilize the hairloss so I can look at surgeries? And what are the risks with going forward with the surgery before stabilizing? Needing another HT in a couple of years?

I would recommend at least a year of consistent medication use. The risk is looking worse than you do now. Permanent shock loss, losing more hair than what’s transplanted, and pretty much looking balder. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Thanks @JohnAC71, appreciate your response. I've decided to not yet go forward with the HT, would want to get the opinion of 1-2 clinics before as well.

Besides fin and minoxidil, are there other medications worth considering? What about laser caps? I've seen they are quite effective, but not sure if it can help stabilizing the hairloss.

4 minutes ago, robertis said:

Thanks @JohnAC71, appreciate your response. I've decided to not yet go forward with the HT, would want to get the opinion of 1-2 clinics before as well.

Besides fin and minoxidil, are there other medications worth considering? What about laser caps? I've seen they are quite effective, but not sure if it can help stabilizing the hairloss.

Fin/Minox is proven to be the best way of retaining your hair. But of course it will be a lifetime commitment. As Melvin mentioned you need to be on them for at least a year and then revisit your options. Most clinics will ask you would have stabilised your loss before they will consider you suitable for a transplant.

9 minutes ago, robertis said:

I see, thank you so much for your input again. Will do some more research!

For clinics then HLC, Pekiner, Keser and Dr Bicer if your looking in Turkey. Only ASMED if your choosing the top option where Dr Erdogan is involved with the procedure. Just please dont choose any of the 1000s of “hair mills” the lowest cost clinics would be Dr Demirsoy and Dr Yaman, anyone cheaper is dangerous territory. 

Edited by JohnAC71

• Administrators
5 hours ago, robertis said:

Thanks, that's pretty much how my list looks like as well. HLC seems like a great option

Probably a good idea to consult with plenty of clinics and doctors, especially those who are honest and ethical. You’ll find a lot of surgeons willing to take your money, remember only you will ultimately have your best interest at heart. 

View my thread

Meds might help with the crown but I'm not sure how much you'll get out of it in the hairline though you might see solid gains in the hair lines as well.

You have a lot of hair to lose so it's advisable you get on meds before a transplant. Everything between the crown and the forehead can be lost if you aren't doing something to preserve it

Edited by deeznuts

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 6:52 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I would recommend at least a year of consistent medication use. The risk is looking worse than you do now. Permanent shock loss, losing more hair than what’s transplanted, and pretty much looking balder. 

Hi Melvin, why would the risk is looking worse? If no medication, I'd understand. But what if he starts taking medication right after the HT

5 hours ago, organo said:

Organo is a Haircare oil, it covers all issues with your hair like (stops hair-fall, Strengthens them, brings back the original color of your hair, regrows hair lost, vanishes dandruff & any kind of fungus clears itching, it made from 100% natural herbs that have no toxic chemicals & artificial ingredients in it, results in guaranteed self tried at hone & very very cheap in comparison to the hair transplant, it's worth a try. contact number  +923374924178 / +923238867608 call SMS or WhatsApp, adil.qureshi0@gmail.com

Organo’s Snake Oil

buy some today!!!

This is definitely a NW 5/6 pattern going on. I agree that maintenance is key at this stage. I think give maintenance sometime to work, make sure you are happy with committing  to it and then get the HT. Yes around 3500 grafts is probably enough at this point. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram