Looking for FUT doctor

Hello guys, 

So looks like nowadays almost all doctors perform FUE operations. I am looking for FUT doctors (would be the best if  they were in Europe as I live in Poland) to be able to maximize donor capacity. 

I know that dr. Bicer (Turkey) performs FUT but I was not impressed with the result presented on her webpage - low quality, some looked unnatural - and those were all FUE operations too. I know that Hattingen hair performs great FUT but this doctor rejected me during our consultation saying that I have too much hair (Im a Norwood 3 with thinned front). I also know about Hasson & Wong but they are far away (Canada) and are very expensive. 

Do you know any doctors that perform quality FUT in Europe besides Hattingen? Or should I just go with FUE? I am probably good FUE candidate as I have rather thick and straight hair - attached photos - one after shaving and one just a bit grown out.

20200616_190556.thumb.jpg.59c11369c3fa88bf0bb62d29d0565d95.jpg20200515_091131.thumb.jpg.07d72c63ef69c792f5080f5d99cb24a1.jpg

Dr. Saifi does FUT in Poland.

Dr. Bisanga and Dr. Feriduni do FUT in Belgium.

Edited by shami26

Medication for Male Pattern Baldness: Topical Dutasteride - Topical Minoxidil 5% - Ketoconazole Shampoo

Medication for Cicatricial Alopecia: Hydroxychloroquine  - Topical Clobestasol - Doxycycline

Please share pics of your frontal third.  How old are you?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hey, thanks for the replies. Im 27, been on fin from early 2020. My loss started very early - I was already NW3 at about 17-18, but the progression was super slow, but it does progresses. My loss looks a lot
like my dads, NW3 to like 40s, and then lost it. So im also headed to NW6~ if not on meds :D

My front:
20200616_190452.thumb.jpg.c1d7ad071a3a00d60644de193198d4a1.jpg

Good for you for getting on fin, stay on it!  I can see why Hattingen turned you down for FUT; because you already have a good head of hair and you are relatively young.  The risk of a transplant for you is shock loss, which might leave you worse off than where you are now.   Focus on keeping what you have at the moment and in the meantime keep researching surgeons for a surgery sometime in your 30's.  Native hair is better than transplanted hair. 

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Hej, jeżeli chodzi o FUT to w Europie raczej jest mało dobrych obcji, najlepszy pewnie jest Bisanga. Sprawdz sobie cennik H&W, są dużo tansi niż Feriduni, Bisanga czy Hattingen za pierwsze 2000 graftow liczą sobie 3.2$ a potem tylko 1.95$. Saifi jest też dobrym chirurgiem, więc może się z nim skontaktuj, na yt jest ziomek TheHairChemist który miał z nim świetny rezultat FUT.

• Thanks 1

I would have to disagree and say that you've certainly lost enough hair to warrant a hair transplant... you're a fairly severe NW3. You're on meds, which is good, your loss hasn't been particularly fast by your own admission, so as long as you continue on with preventative measures indefinitely, and accept that you'll likely need a couple more procedures over the coming decades, I really don't see the point of waiting another 3, 4 or 5 years until you're in your 30's to get a transplant. On meds, your hair likely will just look exactly the same as it does today... makes little sense to me. If it's bothering you a lot, then you're certainly within reason at this point to do something about it. 

Fair enough if you want to go FUT first, it is a sensible choice in the long run, but you could still just go FUE first now, then if and when you lose more hair down the line, (maybe it won't be necessary to if you stay on fin, plus potentially utilise whatever future treatments that - may - come out over the course of the next 5, 10, 15+ years) get an FUT at that point and still maximise grafts fairly well. its not going to be as optimal, but you could still do this as your procedure isn't going to be absolutely massive; probably in the 2500-3000 range. And as a result, maybe you can avoid ever needing to go FUT and have more than enough grafts with FUE alone and thus escape the linear scar.

If you don't particularly care about the linear scar though, then by all means, go FUT first.  I would just go with Dr. Bisanga in that case, very safe bet (for both FUE and FUT, but he's one of the last few who has decades of experience performing FUT in an industry saturated with people who have only ever done FUE). Pretty sure he would accept you as a candidate no problem unless there's some sort of unknown issues with your donor etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JDEE0 said:

I would have to disagree and say that you've certainly lost enough hair to warrant a hair transplant... you're a fairly severe NW3. You're on meds, which is good, your loss hasn't been particularly fast by your own admission, so as long as you continue on with preventative measures indefinitely, and accept that you'll likely need a couple more procedures over the coming decades, I really don't see the point of waiting another 3, 4 or 5 years until you're in your 30's to get a transplant. On meds, your hair likely will just look exactly the same as it does today... makes little sense to me. If it's bothering you a lot, then you're certainly within reason at this point to do something about it. 

Fair enough if you want to go FUT first, it is a sensible choice in the long run, but you could still just go FUE first now, then if and when you lose more hair down the line, (maybe it won't be necessary to if you stay on fin, plus potentially utilise whatever future treatments that - may - come out over the course of the next 5, 10, 15+ years) get an FUT at that point and still maximise grafts fairly well. its not going to be as optimal, but you could still do this as your procedure isn't going to be absolutely massive; probably in the 2500-3000 range. And as a result, maybe you can avoid ever needing to go FUT and have more than enough grafts with FUE alone and thus escape the linear scar.

If you don't particularly care about the linear scar though, then by all means, go FUT first.  I would just go with Dr. Bisanga in that case, very safe bet (for both FUE and FUT, but he's one of the last few who has decades of experience performing FUT in an industry saturated with people who have only ever done FUE). Pretty sure he would accept you as a candidate no problem unless there's some sort of unknown issues with your donor etc.

Yeah I agree. I have less loss than OP and all the doctors I've consulted with are willing to offer me a transplant in the range of 2500-3000 grafts so I'm a bit surprised that they would turn down OP who is a NW3 going on diffuse NW5/6. Though I'm a touch older than OP though maybe the extra couple years is enough to take me out of "too young for transplant range.

I personally consider OP a NW5/6. It looks like he's got diffuse thinning throughout the entire midscalp. Just cause it's not slick bald doesn't mean it's not a NW5/NW6 imo. The way I see it, if you can see a NW5 pattern emerging then you're a NW5 at least.

Thanks for replies. Yeah, I definitevely agree that at this point I might just go for HT as waiting any longer will not really change anything. I also know, as I mentioned, that Im destined for higher norwood levels (if not on meds).

So for now, I need to choose a FUT doctor. So options are:
- Dr. Bicer - need to research more - doctor performs most of the operation + the price is affordable, but I need to research more as the results on webpage were not great
- H&W - Canada (too far away) and 5$ per graft making it not the greatest option probably
- Dr. Bisanga - Belgium (good location) but not sure about the price - I've emailed the clinic. Does maybe anyone know how much they charge for FUT nowadays?

Or I could just go for FUE and choose for example:
- Dr. Mwamba - location (Belgium - good) amd I liked the resuts, plus the price is not too expensive - 2,5 euro per graft
- HLC - (location: Turkey - could be closer) great results, price similar to Mwamba

BTW
Is my donor looking average, or dense?

Edited by kapiper

If you do go FUE, don't forget your options in Spain and Portugal! consider De Freitas, Bruno Pinto, Ximena Villa, Bruno Ferreira; al in the 2.5-3.00 per graft range and honestly probably the best FUE results around right now!

Donor looks to be decent, probably average to slightly above average maybe. I don't know, it's hard to say really, but based off the picture with it grown out a bit longer, looks like you certainly won't have any issues with it.

Edited by JDEE0

16 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

On meds, your hair likely will just look exactly the same as it does today... makes little sense to me.

That's the assumption I had going into my first HT, and after a year post-op it was mostly gone and I had to transplant the same area over again.  Not saying fin doesn't help, but it doesn't hold onto everything.  @kapiper Go ahead a get a transplant but don't be surprised if you need another one very soon after.  Be ready for that likely scenario.

13 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

That's the assumption I had going into my first HT, and after a year post-op it was mostly gone and I had to transplant the same area over again.  Not saying fin doesn't help, but it doesn't hold onto everything.  @kapiper Go ahead a get a transplant but don't be surprised if you need another one very soon after.  Be ready for that likely scenario.

Yeah, I understand your point, but I'm by no means saying that his hair will look the same indefinitely as long as he stays on fin, just that it *likely* will do in 3, 4 or 5 years time. longer periods such as 15, 20 or 30 years is a different story. Of course he's not guaranteed even this 5 year or less period, as you yourself didn't experience, but all of the actual clinical data collectively lines up and shows that stabilisation compared to baseline can be expected in nearly 90 percent of users at the 10 year mark. Hence why I made my statement.

But as Aaron says, you should always prepare for the scenario that things won't go to plan, nothing is guaranteed and yeah you could end up needing one sooner than you had hoped. 

• Like 1

Looks like my hairlie has thickened this past year on fin (photos were taken one year ago) and is still thickening so I have some good expectations. IMO doctor should not transplant into areas where I have hair, just recreate the hairline (fill in the sides) and maybe lower the front hairline just a bit, like half centimeter + recreate temple points. So no shock loss would occur in this case I guess