Surgeon Decision

Hi everyone, 

I think I’ve made my decision with regards to which surgeon to go ahead with for a procedure however wanted a little advice before taking the plunge.

The 3 surgeons/clinics that I came down to were Hasson & Wong, Dr Freitas and Dr Bisanga. 

Out of the 3 I eliminated Hasson & Wong as it is about a 11 hour flight and thought it maybe wasn’t necessary to travel that far with the other two great surgeons being so close. 

Dr Bisanga is very open and honest which made me steer towards him, he has great results and is a big advocate for oral minoxidil which I wanted to give a try anyway. The only downsides are that he won’t give me an estimation online (which in all fairness, made me more confident in his opinion and professionalism) and that I haven’t seen many diffuse thinning cases carried out by him. (which are similar to my hair loss)

Dr Freitas on the other hand has many diffuse thinning cases on this forum and on his website from people that are a similar age to myself (25 if you were wondering) and his results are simply stunning, in-fact some I honestly thought were genuinely too good to be true. 

So out of the two surgeons I’m kind of stuck, do I wait to see Dr Bisanga before making a decision (which could be months away due to Covid restrictions still) or get booked up with Dr Freitas? (Earliest appointments being July next year!)

Also a little side note, thank you to Melvin and everyone on this forum - if it wasn’t for yourselves I probably would have just gone to Turkey and booked up with a hair mill. If you’re new to this forum, this is the place to find yourselves a good surgeon and ask for advice. 

Edited by Kieran2020
  • Like 5

• Administrators

I’m always pleased to see someone join the forum and benefit out of the knowledge we provide. 

That said,  I feel Dr. Bisanga is probably top 5 hair transplant surgeons in the world, and he’s got the resume to back it up. His rep Ian @Raphael84 is doing a great job. They’re a safe bet. 

Since joining our network, Dr. De Freitas has definitely impressed me, both in his results and in the way he presents his cases. I strongly believe you should consult with both surgeons before making a decision.

As for waiting, look at this way, you’ve been balding for years. A few months isn’t gonna make a difference in your overall journey. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Kieran2020 said:

Hi John,

I hadn’t really considered HDC, but there’s no harm in getting an estimation from them and see what their approach would be - thanks for the suggestion! 

Always good to get quite a few consultations done. But I agree with @Melvin- ModeratorBisanga has always been in my top 3 and De Freitas is doing some amazing work also. Certainly both of them are worth waiting for ! 👌

I think they're both great choices. Once you've narrowed down the doctors you're comfortable going with, maybe the difference will end up being how the doctor communicates, their "style", and what their plan is for you.

For example, De Freitas's hairlines have a quite distinct look to them (very straight) that you might like or dislike and maybe that influences whether you prefer a hairline from him or Bisanga

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words @Melvin- Moderator

@Kieran2020 Great to see that you are doing your research and please continue to do so. You can never be "too" educated in something so important. I appreciate that it can be frustrating to be recommended to attend an in person consultation as opposed to receiving an approximate graft count.
From the clinic´s perspective it would be easier to provide an approximate recommendation allowing the patient to potentially schedule their surgery, but this is not our personal approach and our code of ethics is always at the forefront of any of our recommendations and consultations etc. which is always in the patient´s best interests.

I wish you the best and you have our support in your final decision.

• Like 2

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

It would not hurt to get a third opinion.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

And the great ones are worth traveling to!

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

11 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

All great choices. Don’t cross of a doctor just because of distance, this can be a life altering procedure both good and bad. Most importantly…DONT RUSH

Haha you’re completely right, I need to be patient with the choice rather than just jump in - thank you for the advice.

9 hours ago, gillenator said:

And the great ones are worth traveling to!

You’re right I haven’t really considered anyone in the US at all, I know there are some good surgeons there, other than Hasson & Wong (in Vancouver) I don’t really know the top top surgeons over that side of the Atlantic.

I’ll make sure to take a browse!

On 6/25/2021 at 2:37 PM, Raphael84 said:

Thanks for the kind words @Melvin- Moderator

@Kieran2020 Great to see that you are doing your research and please continue to do so. You can never be "too" educated in something so important. I appreciate that it can be frustrating to be recommended to attend an in person consultation as opposed to receiving an approximate graft count.
From the clinic´s perspective it would be easier to provide an approximate recommendation allowing the patient to potentially schedule their surgery, but this is not our personal approach and our code of ethics is always at the forefront of any of our recommendations and consultations etc. which is always in the patient´s best interests.

I wish you the best and you have our support in your final decision.

Thank you for the reply Raphael, can I send you a DM to discuss a few things?

• 3 months later...

Just had my consultation with Dr Bisanga, my donor density is around 70 which is about average. He said I’m too young to have a transplant at the moment which I did expect. (25 years old)

What surprised me is he told me I’m only a Norwood 2, I initially told them I thought I was a 3/4!! 

I have been prescribed oral minoxidil to help with any miniaturisation and I will carry on to take finasteride as I have been for many years now.

I can’t lie I’m a little gutted that I can’t have one as present, but I will continue with Dr Bisangas advice and pray he doesn’t retire within 10 years haha. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kieran2020 said:

Just had my consultation with Dr Bisanga, my donor density is around 70 which is about average. He said I’m too young to have a transplant at the moment which I did expect. (25 years old)

What surprised me is he told me I’m only a Norwood 2, I initially told them I thought I was a 3/4!! 

I have been prescribed oral minoxidil to help with any miniaturisation and I will carry on to take finasteride as I have been for many years now.

I can’t lie I’m a little gutted that I can’t have one as present, but I will continue with Dr Bisangas advice and pray he doesn’t retire within 10 years haha. :)

That’s pretty good news really! You are in a good position and it shows just how ethical Dr Bisnaga is. 👍🏽

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Kieran2020 said:

Dr. Bisanga is such a top-notch ethical doctor, one of the best in the business.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.