Is my donor area average or below average? ( Please Help)

Hello, I am planning to get a hair transplant surgery in a few years. I am currently a Norwood 2.x patient. I have been doing a lot of research on hair transplant surgeries. Lately, I have been a little concerned about my donor hair. I am not sure  if my donor hair is average or below average. I understand I need to go to an actual doctor for a proper consultation, but I wanted to ask experts on this forum first. The picture on the left is in a normal day room lighting and the picture on the right is in front my bathroom light. Please let me know if there is any problem with the way I took the picture. Thank you in advance

192369336_262837335629146_6361704896069775792_n.jpg

189471994_176821137699078_7508063779099125830_n.jpg

To the naked eye your donor area looks lush, but to be certain have a respected HT doc look it over with magnification.  How old are you?

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Your donor looks very good but you'll need to confirm that with a doctor. The majority of us on here are former transplant patients or are in a similar boat as you with deciding to get one or not. An "expert" would be one of the doctors listed below.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron1234 said:

To the naked eye your donor area looks lush, but to be certain have a respected HT doc look it over with magnification.  How old are you?

thank you. I am 23 years old. I am planning to do the surgery in maybe 2 years. Since my hair situation will probably change in the next 2 years, I thought getting a professional consultation now is not a good idea. I did send my pictures a while back to some of the clinics. One of the clinics told me that my hair loss is not bad enough to get a transplant and I should wait until 25. I am taking finasteride for the past 1 year. I got kind of anxious about my donor area so I thought It would be best to ask question in this forum.   

1 hour ago, makehairgreatagain said:

Your donor looks very good but you'll need to confirm that with a doctor. The majority of us on here are former transplant patients or are in a similar boat as you with deciding to get one or not. An "expert" would be one of the doctors listed below.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp

Thank you. I posted my picture in this forum because, I thought some of the members in this forum have experience with dealing with hair loss patients.  I will get my donor area assessed by multiple doctors before getting the hair transplant.   

23 is very young, so while your donor area looks good now that doesn't guarantee it's going to look good years later.  That's why you should wait to get a HT.  Good for you for getting on fin.  You're starting this battle off on the right foot. 

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators

Impossible to say through pictures and even more so at that length. Have you seen a surgeon in person?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

That doctor that rejected you as a candidate should be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. You were very lucky you didn’t get a surgeon who agreed to con you into surgery. The fact you have commenced Finasteride a year ago is good news. It can take up to two years to benefit from Finasteride’s full effects. Stay with it. Surgery is a last resort. All the best.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Impossible to say through pictures and even more so at that length. Have you seen a surgeon in person?

Thank you Melvin.  I haven't seen any doctors in person.  I will go for the consultation in about a year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gatsby said:

That doctor that rejected you as a candidate should be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. You were very lucky you didn’t get a surgeon who agreed to con you into surgery. The fact you have commenced Finasteride a year ago is good news. It can take up to two years to benefit from Finasteride’s full effects. Stay with it. Surgery is a last resort. All the best.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah every other clinics where is sent my pictures started quoting unreasonable amount of grafts, but that one doctor saved me from the doom. He doesn't have a good reputation on this forum though.  

At HDC we don't usually recommend paitents under NW3 to have a procedure, it's unethical unless you're NW2 at late 30's - early 40's.

Hairline must at least regressed by 3mm which isn't the case of NW2 most of the times.

Edited by Doron Harati
  • Like 2

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.