Dave Portnoy of Barstool Sports Had a Hair Transplant

• Administrators

Did any of guys know that? He says Dr. Jeffrey Leonard, never heard of him. Any of you guys? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

He meant Dr Robert Leonard.  Must be the vallium...

Edited by 1978matt
  • Haha 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

He meant Dr Robert Leonard.  Must be the vallium...

Ahh I see, never see any results from this doc is he good?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I've never heard of that surgeon. One bite, everyone knows the rules....sorry, I just had to haha

• Haha 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

I picked up on this myself after realizing what hair transplants were 2-3 years ago. I remember seeing Dave in random youtube videos and he has a pretty noticeable crown bald spot that disappeared after he got mega rich and starting partying with models. Then I saw he openly admitted it. 

To be fair, I don't know why anyone in their late 30s~ with mild hairloss wouldn't look into a transplant with today's results. These guys are ideal candidates and it's a very good option. It's the NW5+ guys that still need some assistance from science. 

Edited by TrialAcc

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Did any of guys know that? He says Dr. Jeffrey Leonard, never heard of him. Any of you guys? 

I had a consult there and some things to know...

1. Leonard did Portnoy's procedure and a bunch of Patriots. I think he also did a procedure for Brian "White Mamba" Scalabrine. He won't do yours. His partner, Lopresti, will.

2. I've never felt so sure a doctor didn't care about meeting with me than my meeting with Lopresti. That doesn't mean he's a bad doctor or hair surgeon! But bedside manner is important to me, so this wasn't it.

3. Their book of before/after pictures are seriously and depressingly underwhelming.

4. They do not charge by graft. They charge a flat fee of $13,000, whether you are doing 750 grafts or 2000. No thanks.

• Like 1

I had a quick look and his results seem to lack the density of others.  Nothing terrible but certainly not in the top 20.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators
14 hours ago, TrialAcc said:

I picked up on this myself after realizing what hair transplants were 2-3 years ago. I remember seeing Dave in random youtube videos and he has a pretty noticeable crown bald spot that disappeared after he got mega rich and starting partying with models. Then I saw he openly admitted it. 

To be fair, I don't know why anyone in their late 30s~ with mild hairloss wouldn't look into a transplant with today's results. These guys are ideal candidates and it's a very good option. It's the NW5+ guys that still need some assistance from science. 

I would argue the opposite, Norwood 5+ guys don’t need meds after getting an HT as much as a Norwood 2-3. They got nothing to lose and everything to gain, no pun intended.

View my thread

• Administrators
14 hours ago, dotdashdashdash said:

I had a consult there and some things to know...

1. Leonard did Portnoy's procedure and a bunch of Patriots. I think he also did a procedure for Brian "White Mamba" Scalabrine. He won't do yours. His partner, Lopresti, will.

2. I've never felt so sure a doctor didn't care about meeting with me than my meeting with Lopresti. That doesn't mean he's a bad doctor or hair surgeon! But bedside manner is important to me, so this wasn't it.

3. Their book of before/after pictures are seriously and depressingly underwhelming.

4. They do not charge by graft. They charge a flat fee of $13,000, whether you are doing 750 grafts or 2000. No thanks.

Flat fees are NEVER a good idea. Let’s he honest, incentives are necessary. If it’s a flat fee, wheres the incentive to do more work? You could expect the bare minimum. That business model works at hair mills, but not at patient-centered clinics.

View my thread

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

People speculate he worked on Tom Brady. 

I doubt he’s had surgery. I’d believe he’s done other treatments though like dutasteride, prp and microneedling. Surgeons have been offering that for years. 

View my thread

On 5/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would argue the opposite, Norwood 5+ guys don’t need meds after getting an HT as much as a Norwood 2-3. They got nothing to lose and everything to gain, no pun intended.

Yeah but think about what could happen if you could regrow even 25% of your original density through a new treatment or could get even 50% more grafts through a hair multiplication or cloning. Your illusion of density would become the real thing. Early NW guys at later ages without aggressive hairloss don't need to get gain anything back that their grafts can't already get them, they can get good-to-great density from 1 dense pack procedure. 

I wasn't talking about existing science, I meant future treatments like cloning to help higher NW guys get full heads of hair again. 

Edited by TrialAcc

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/18/2021 at 7:00 PM, TrialAcc said:

Love this guy. There’s actually a video of his from a while back where they blurred out his crown when he bent over. Huge wtf moment