How do people usually hide the fact that they got a transplant?

It's obviously gonna be weird if you show up to the office after a week off with your hair completely buzzed.

Is it possible to wear a hair system (even made of your own hairs??) or a believable wig in the days after a transplant? I could probably wear a hat to the office but I don't really know if I'm the type to wear a hat for 2 or 3 months while my hair grows out

Your head is going to be a bloody, swollen, red mess for longer than a week. It was a few months before I could conceal that I had had an HT. For me, I was working from hole full tile due to covid, so my coworkers never saw me (even before my HT I refuse to turn on video for meetings because I think it’s dumb).

I wanted to conceal it from my kids, so on the days they were here I wore a hat. Around the 3-4 month mark I was able to stop wearing a hat and my hair was about the way it was before my HT. Then from then on out I just slowly got more and more hair. 

• Like 1

Why hide it .... nearly 7 months since my ht and I don’t mind telling people about it. In fact the amount of people that have said ‘I’d have come with you if I’d known’ and ‘wow I’m going to get one’ is unbelievable.

Anybody with half a brain will no, unless it’s a very subtle change.

• Like 1

Depends on how much work you are getting done, and are you doing FUT or FUE? With FUT you only have to buzz the strip area in your donor and where the hair is going to go. If the procedure is small enough some guys can just comb their existing hair over the transplanted area, maybe sprinkle on some hair fibers to get an acceptable level of concealment, then hair spray it to keep in place. That's what I did, my first procedure was relatively small along the frontal hairline, FUT so I let my hair in the back grow out long enough to easily cover the stripped area where they took the hair.  Procedure was on a Wednesday and I was back in the office on Monday, none the wiser.

Don't know much about hair systems, toupees, but they do need to be attached to your head with something that could disrupt your donor/recipient areas. And then there's how realistic is it going to look, could draw more attention than the buzz. And the time in finding a quality one, a barber that can cut your hair good to blend with it. I've read a little on here about guys that were deciding to a hair system for life and struggling with that getting that all sorted out. Probably not worth it.

If you are having FUE over a large area and your procedure is still out in the future, go ahead and bite the bullet and shave it now while you have nothing from the surgery to hide. Then everyone will be used to seeing you. As for why, just say you tried a new barber and they jacked your hair up so they had to buzz the mess off.

Edited by ciaus

Why do clinics insist on shaving the entire head, when I only need the area between NW1 and NW2 done.  Shaving the back for FUE is fine, I usually keep the back and sides short anyway (I have the peaky blinders thing going on).

19 hours ago, ciaus said:

Depends on how much work you are getting done, and are you doing FUT or FUE? With FUT you only have to buzz the strip area in your donor and where the hair is going to go. If the procedure is small enough some guys can just comb their existing hair over the transplanted area, maybe sprinkle on some hair fibers to get an acceptable level of concealment, then hair spray it to keep in place. That's what I did, my first procedure was relatively small along the frontal hairline, FUT so I let my hair in the back grow out long enough to easily cover the stripped area where they took the hair.  Procedure was on a Wednesday and I was back in the office on Monday, none the wiser.

Don't know much about hair systems, toupees, but they do need to be attached to your head with something that could disrupt your donor/recipient areas. And then there's how realistic is it going to look, could draw more attention than the buzz. And the time in finding a quality one, a barber that can cut your hair good to blend with it. I've read a little on here about guys that were deciding to a hair system for life and struggling with that getting that all sorted out. Probably not worth it.

If you are having FUE over a large area and your procedure is still out in the future, go ahead and bite the bullet and shave it now while you have nothing from the surgery to hide. Then everyone will be used to seeing you. As for why, just say you tried a new barber and they jacked your hair up so they had to buzz the mess off.

I was thinking of getting my temples filled in, temple peaks strengthened a bit, and maybe lower the hairline a tiny bit? My estimate would be 3k grafts from what consultants have told me and from what I've seen doctors usually do for frontal thirds