Mild gynecomastia / Finersteride question.

Swish

Hello guys!

I'm 24 years and suffer from mild gyno(puffy nipples since puperty) and im NOT on finersteride YET. I plan on getting my gyno surgery later this year, then maybe start on finersteride. The obvious answer is go and see my doctor, but the only accept persons with more serious issues.. Noone in my family goes beyond norwood 3, that's why I'm debating if its even worth to start finersteride or just go for the hair transplant if needed. 

My question is:

Is the chance bigger for me to develop gyno again even after the surgery due to finersteride? Have any of you guys had the same problem? 

Looking forward for your replies..

When you go for your gyno surgery - I’m assuming the surgeon will have some form of expertise in the field of male androgens and their role in the body etc, aside from just being a surgeon. 

Ask him - see what his thoughts are on you adding a DHT inhibiting medication? 

This publication might be useful in your case:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6764051/

The present study has indicated that after complete excision of the mammary gland, finasteride treatment might not affect the recurrence of gynecomastia; however, additional prospective studies are needed. Surgeons may recommend continuation of finasteride in patients who wish to take it after mastectomy for gynecomastia.

Obviously, talk to your doctor about this.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

32 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

The present study has indicated that after complete excision of the mammary gland, finasteride treatment might not affect the recurrence of gynecomastia; however, additional prospective studies are needed. Surgeons may recommend continuation of finasteride in patients who wish to take it after mastectomy for gynecomastia.

That summary is as useful as a chocolate Fireguard. 

OP speak to an expert in the field and get their opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob7331 said:

Anecdotally, I've been on Fin for 5 years and had gyno removal surgery last year. No problems at all :) just make sure your surgeon "gets it all" - if they leave any it will still be apparent you have gyno.

Ohh awesome! Did you have gyno before you started finasterid or did u develop it as a side effect due to finasteride if I may ask :)?

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

When you go for your gyno surgery - I’m assuming the surgeon will have some form of expertise in the field of male androgens and their role in the body etc, aside from just being a surgeon. 

Ask him - see what his thoughts are on you adding a DHT inhibiting medication? 

Yeah, I'm gonna ask them that when the doctors allow me to book an appointment :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Obviously, talk to your doctor about this.

Thank you for your reply! 

17 minutes ago, rob7331 said:

Had gyno since I was a teenager! I'm almost 30 now. They weren't related even a little bit for me.

Thanks! That made me more calm!

Dont know anout it reoccuring but I wouldnt risk it. I have moderate gyno and used fin for about 3 weeks, definitely felt something in my nipple/chest which is partly why I stoped it. Also got most of the other side effects. If I were you I'd just wait for a transplant. Probably use minoxidil when you notice recession.

Edited by TheDarkHour

9 hours ago, TheDarkHour said:

Dont know anout it reoccuring but I wouldnt risk it. I have moderate gyno and used fin for about 3 weeks, definitely felt something in my nipple/chest which is partly why I stoped it. Also got most of the other side effects. If I were you I'd just wait for a transplant. Probably use minoxidil when you notice recession.

Well, that's a shame.. I think I would rather take a pill each day rather than putting minoxidil twice a day and make my hair all greasy :) The side effects of fin are really low, so that's a chance I'm willing to take.

2 hours ago, Swish said:

Well, that's a shame.. I think I would rather take a pill each day rather than putting minoxidil twice a day and make my hair all greasy :) The side effects of fin are really low, so that's a chance I'm willing to take.

People like yourself and that other guy are at an increased risk for psychologically manufacturing side effect-like symptoms because of your pre-existing condition. Try not to let your mind play tricks on you and obsess about it if you do end up starting. Maybe have your girlfriend/wife/family/friend pick a random start date and secretly put a crushed pill into your food each day for a while to help minimize that effect.

4 hours ago, Swish said:

Well you should talk to your doctor for confirmation. This wasn't just based on my personal experience though, brought it up to hair transplant doctors and they also advised me against using fin. I guess you could microdose for a few weeks and see what happens, especially if you plan to get surgery for your gyno later. 

To expand on what I said earlier, I would rather get a transplant at NW2.5/3 instead of relying on fin all my life and risking the side effects if I was lucky enough to stop at NW3.

Minoxidil  is more for regrowth so would likely not be as effective as fin for stopping hair loss. I use it once a day and have grown some thin wispy hairs on my right temple which is now more of a NW2 than 2.5. left temple hasn't improved much though.

Edited by TheDarkHour

13 hours ago, ciaus said:

People like yourself and that other guy are at an increased risk for psychologically manufacturing side effect-like symptoms because of your pre-existing condition. Try not to let your mind play tricks on you and obsess about it if you do end up starting. Maybe have your girlfriend/wife/family/friend pick a random start date and secretly put a crushed pill into your food each day for a while to help minimize that effect.

11 hours ago, TheDarkHour said:

Well you should talk to your doctor for confirmation. This wasn't just based on my personal experience though, brought it up to hair transplant doctors and they also advised me against using fin. I guess you could microdose for a few weeks and see what happens, especially if you plan to get surgery for your gyno later. 

To expand on what I said earlier, I would rather get a transplant at NW2.5/3 instead of relying on fin all my life and risking the side effects if I was lucky enough to stop at NW3.

Minoxidil  is more for regrowth so would likely not be as effective as fin for stopping hair loss. I use it once a day and have grown some thin wispy hairs on my right temple which is now more of a NW2 than 2.5. left temple hasn't improved much though.

It's not the fear of side effects that keep me from taking finasteride (besides from gyno returning). It's the fact that I have to take a pill almost every day for the rest of my life. Also, no one from my parent's side goes above norwood 3. I'm still norwood 2 since puberty and I'm turning 25 later this year. So I'm hoping 1-2 hair transplants will fix the issue when I reach norwood 3 :)